SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Outfitting C36 for passagemaking

10K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  SYMandalay 
#1 ·
I'm shopping for my first 'big boat' and trying to be realistic about how I will use it for the next 10 years until I 'retire'. There's alot I like about an older Catalina 36 (under $60,000) home ported in San Diego. I realize it's designed/built as a light weight coastal cruiser but I also have read where it's logged plenty of miles offshore. I expect to mostly sail the coastal areas from Baja to Catalina to San Fran. However, I would like to have the boat be capable of an extended passage shoud the need arise before I've upgraded to a true 'bluewater yacht'. I like (in theory) taking on the project of beefing up the C36 in a way that I maximize her bluewater capability. Questions - What are her weak points in the bluewater/passagemaking arena? What are the logical upgrades I can have done that will enhance her offshore capability while still retaining the good qualities I'll enjoy in coastal So Cal?
Thanks in advance!

#38 ·
Next year, I guess you'll have to see how Alchemy does as an Icebreaker. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.