Poo isn't so bad, is it? - Page 11 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #101  
Old 08-04-2010
SlowButSteady's Avatar
Senior Slacker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 5
SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Did I really just reply to a two and a half year old thread?
D'oh!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #102  
Old 08-04-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,192
Thanks: 50
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 14
knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
There is a big difference between a couple of drips from the end of the hose and a bucket full of poo.
True. A couple of drips of raw sewage from the end of a hose presents a health hazard whereas a bucket of properly composted poo doesn't.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #103  
Old 08-04-2010
remetau's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 6
remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
True. A couple of drips of raw sewage from the end of a hose presents a health hazard whereas a bucket of properly composted poo doesn't.
When you are dumping the waste from a boat that you just used the head on this morning, the poo is not composted at all. It takes weeks to decompose and therefore you would be dumping a pile of poo.
__________________
Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #104  
Old 08-04-2010
sailingdog's Avatar
Telstar 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 13
sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like how you contradict yourself... you said in an earlier post that the bucket or composting head doesn't COMPOST the POO...that happens in a compost pile... so instead of a few drops of sewage from a hose, you have an entire BUCKET OF POO to deal with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
True. A couple of drips of raw sewage from the end of a hose presents a health hazard whereas a bucket of properly composted poo doesn't.
__________________
Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #105  
Old 08-04-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,192
Thanks: 50
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 14
knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I like how you contradict yourself... you said in an earlier post that the bucket or composting head doesn't COMPOST the POO...that happens in a compost pile... so instead of a few drops of sewage from a hose, you have an entire BUCKET OF POO to deal with...

I'm not contradicting myself at all. I never said that it's is composted when you dump it. What I am saying is that if you dump it into a compost pile where it is allowed to compost it is not a health hazard whereas raw sewage on a dock certainly is.

What part of that are you guy's not understanding?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #106  
Old 08-04-2010
sailingdog's Avatar
Telstar 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 13
sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
So, instead of a few drops of raw sewage, you advocate walking around with a FULL BUCKET OF RAW SEWAGE....which is still a biohazard UNTIL IT IS COMPOSTED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I'm not contradicting myself at all. I never said that it's is composted when you dump it. What I am saying is that if you dump it into a compost pile where it is allowed to compost it is not a health hazard whereas raw sewage on a dock certainly is.

What part of that are you guy's not understanding?
__________________
Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #107  
Old 08-04-2010
remetau's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 6
remetau is on a distinguished road
On a boat, where do you keep a compost pile? If you dump it on shore here in the keys, you would be arrested especially since that turd from this morning is still steaming.

I'm not bashing these things, but they just don't seem appropriate for cruisers or liveaboards. Like I said earlier, this could change if the marina was willing to put in large compost bins.
__________________
Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #108  
Old 08-04-2010
sailjunkie's Avatar
Mirage 29
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Port Moody, BC
Posts: 307
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Did I really just reply to a two and a half year old thread?
D'oh!!
Yup, you sure did!

We shouldn't "dump" on the OP too much. 2.5 years later, Victoria is still one of two Canadian cities (I won't mention the other city because they are implementing sewage treatment plans) that do not treat sewage before discharge into the sea. Pretty disgusting.

The OP isn't the only Victoria resident who needs an attitude change. Unfortunately, Greater Victoria politicians are still looking for excuses not to do anything.
__________________
Mark

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #109  
Old 08-04-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,192
Thanks: 50
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 14
knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
On a boat, where do you keep a compost pile? If you dump it on shore here in the keys, you would be arrested especially since that turd from this morning is still steaming.

I'm not bashing these things, but they just don't seem appropriate for cruisers or liveaboards. Like I said earlier, this could change if the marina was willing to put in large compost bins.
You would need a fairly large boat to have a compost pile. However, as I mentioned earlier, it is pretty simple to simply snap on the lid and store the bucket until such time an appropriate dumping place can be found. In fact, with the introduction of some Black Soldier fly larvae and earthworms the composting can be accomplished in the bucket.

Still, I understand your point and actually, liveaboard cruisers are actually a small percentage of boat owners.
The vast majority are day sailors and weekenders who could very easily use composting heads.
A huge number of people on land could easily convert to composting. Not just their humanure but their kitchen scraps, lawn clippings etc. etc.

Hopefully as awareness increases and the demand increases the marinas will add bins. As it stands now, most of the cruisers who do use composting toilets (and there are a lot of them who in spite of Maine's experience are very satisfied) simply dump the contents into the marina dumpsters. Both wasteful and unsanitary. At least most of them put it into plastic bags first.

In the meantime, if anyone needs to dump their compost in the Tampa Bay area. I offer my compost pile.

Nothing changes if no one challenges the norm.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #110  
Old 08-04-2010
remetau's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 6
remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
You would need a fairly large boat to have a compost pile. However, as I mentioned earlier, it is pretty simple to simply snap on the lid and store the bucket until such time an appropriate dumping place can be found. In fact, with the introduction of some Black Soldier fly larvae and earthworms the composting can be accomplished in the bucket.
That makes it kind of difficult to go if the need should occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Still, I understand your point and actually, liveaboard cruisers are actually a small percentage of boat owners.
The vast majority are day sailors and weekenders who could very easily use composting heads.
A huge number of people on land could easily convert to composting. Not just their humanure but their kitchen scraps, lawn clippings etc. etc.
I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Hopefully as awareness increases and the demand increases the marinas will add bins. As it stands now, most of the cruisers who do use composting toilets (and there are a lot of them who in spite of Maine's experience are very satisfied) simply dump the contents into the marina dumpsters. Both wasteful and unsanitary. At least most of them put it into plastic bags first.

In the meantime, if anyone needs to dump their compost in the Tampa Bay area. I offer my compost pile.

Nothing changes if no one challenges the norm.
Again I concur. There were quite a large number of Canadians who were down here with composting toilets, but I have no idea where they were dumping.
__________________
Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A formula for seaworthiness? Tartan34C Seamanship & Navigation 29 09-29-2007 06:23 AM
1/10/07 Was a bad day on our dock...... SVDistantStar General Discussion (sailing related) 5 01-11-2007 08:02 PM
Bad alternator??? cgha33 Gear & Maintenance 11 10-12-2006 04:56 AM
Recovering from Bad Starts Dean Brenner Racing Articles 0 05-29-2002 08:00 PM
Good Lanes and Bad Lanes Brad Read Racing Articles 0 04-25-2001 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.