Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unfortunately, government doesn't make much sense about a lot of things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2007

HeadHoncho is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
For the first time I've had to look for a pump-out for my holding tank, and start making inquiries. Despite the size and business of Victoria's port, there are only two pump outs, both private, one not working, and until today, the other wasn't working either. Cost? $20.00.
Is there no boat-to-boat pumpout service in Victoria? The going rate here in the Bay Area is $25.00 for a pumpout and you don't even have to be at the boat.
Old 11-13-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
I am a lot more concerned about the toxic buildup in the sediments from industry. That's the stuff that gives you seals with two heads. Not to mention people.

I'll agree with ya on the two heade seals, but are you sure it gives us people too.

I could go out 3 miles and dump, but I really hate sh*t in my pool, so I have a service come by twice a week @ 45.00 a pump to take of business

It's a lot of moola, but it is the right thing to do IMHO

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 11-13-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2007
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
When we were first looking at our current boat, I found a switch tucked in a cabinet. I asked the owner about the switch. She said "oh, that's to the Canada pump." I hadn't heard that term before so I asked her what a "Canada Pump" is. She said "you know, it's for when you go cruising in Canada and you have to pump overboard".

On our way up to Desolation Sound each summer, we hit the pump out at Nanaimo on the way up and tried for the one at Lund, but it's usually blocked in by rafted boats. Sure would like to see one up at Refuge Cove or Squirrel Cove.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 11-14-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
I can't believe this question? It's all about morals and being able to sleep at night. If anybody in my harbour would dump overboard, I would probably take a knife to his sails. This is absolutely disgusting, you are endangering the waters and peoples lives. If you don't have a proper pump-out station, find another solution. Sick!
Old 11-14-2007
SailGunner

cesarid is on a distinguished road
Maine is no better. Chartered there several years ago and didn't have an option - there was no holding tank. We thought it was pretty disgusting, especailly in beautiful little harbors; but the water was not so beautiful.
Old 11-14-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianseamonkey View Post
I can't believe this question? It's all about morals and being able to sleep at night. If anybody in my harbour would dump overboard, I would probably take a knife to his sails. This is absolutely disgusting, you are endangering the waters and peoples lives. If you don't have a proper pump-out station, find another solution. Sick!
Instead of getting riled, why not actually answer the question(s)? So far all I'm getting is it's an aesthetic issue rather than a moral one. How is it endangering the waters and people's lives? I believe cholera is spread by fecal contaminated drinking water, but we're talking salt water here. I've yet to see dead marine life washed up on the shore because of poo...

I'm seriously not being inflammatory; there was a lot of noise about getting these regs pushed through, but I still haven't heard any reason why, other than people are disgusted and don't eat the shellfish.

It's an unfortunate truth that all societies and civilisations wallow in their own filth (been to a dump lately?). Again, there's no hurry in cleaning up the toxic waste in the harbour, and as an environmental disaster, I would bet my left gonad that junk has a far greater impact on ecosystem health.

My understanding of the impact of human waste is it's a fertilizer and leads to excess phytoplankton growth and reduced O2 levels.
Old 11-14-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Hoffa - I understand what you are saying, but I don't understand much on the effect of salt water and crap in a harbour. All I know is that if I'm swimming and a piece of **** floats near me.....I will freak!

As far as diseases, Hep B is causes by fecals I believe.

You mention dumps....when you go to a dump you know what to expect. When I go swimming I'm expecting crap free water. I don't consider urine a pollutant though, as it's mostly water.
Old 11-14-2007

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
$25 to $40 dollars to pump out ?
I complain if its more than $5 but here in the great lakes almost every marina has pump out facilities and everyone uses them
(pump out is usually free with $50 or more fuel fill up)
Old 11-14-2007
SeŮor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Hoffa,
If you're searching for some justification for dumping your solid wastes into the planet's coastal water systems and oceans, you will be hard-pressed to get it here, or even receive it from anyone with any level of intelligence.

Without getting into a long winded debate over this - since I don't have the time right now, there are many levels of harm this will do to the environment - aside from the very well known, harmful effects of fecal coliform bacteria.

Excessive nutrient loading is a huge problem with Bays and estuaries worldwide, with some very devastating effects. Dissolved oxygen levels are reduced by decomposition of macroalgae blooms fueled by excess nutrients. Low dissolved oxygen affects the survival and growth of most marine animals.

There are so many other devastating effects to the environment caused from the discharge of your boat's fecal matter - but again, I don't have the time to debate this. I do urge you to please study the thousands of reports with scientific research that mandated these laws.

Besides, the mere fact that you're actually posting such a ridiculous argument, is either proof of your ignorance of this topic or testimony to your sheer stupidity. If the latter is true, then there's no point in me even debating this.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 11-14-2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: fecal "coliform" spelling