SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Poo isn't so bad, is it? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/38476-poo-isnt-so-bad.html)

HoffaLives 11-13-2007 07:45 PM

Poo isn't so bad, is it?

For the first time I've had to look for a pump-out for my holding tank, and start making inquiries. Despite the size and business of Victoria's port, there are only two pump outs, both private, one not working, and until today, the other wasn't working either. Cost? $20.00. The resulting effluent will then be run through Victoria's sewers, and then dumped untreated in the Jaun deFuca Straight.

I live in a liveaboard marina where there are no sewage hookups, and many boats never leave their slips. There are other marinas in the harbour that also have no sewage hookup and have liveaboards.

The regs clearly stipulate that no blackwater is to be discharged into the harbour, and yet there is no policing, no enforcement, and it will cost you to discharge legally, if you can find a pumpout that works.

Up to now I've discharged more or less legally into deep major bodies like Haro Straight and Juan deFuca, but now that I see that the regs are being ignored, are not enforced, little is done by authorities to actually make the system work (working public pumpouts) the city pumps effluent untreated, and the harbour itself is already listed as a federal toxic waste site after 100 years of industrial contamination, I'm thinking it's all a joke and the poo should go over the side along with everyone else's, to mix with the brew of PCB's, dioxins, heavy metals and whatever else is out there.

Can somebody make an argument that this would be wrong?

Andyman 11-13-2007 07:48 PM

Yeah. Murphy's Law.
"If everyone in the Marina dump poo and doesn't get caught, when you dump your poo...you'll get caught".

Really...no place you can motor over to so you can dump?

mentalfee 11-13-2007 08:11 PM

The solution to pollution is NOT dilution!

Have you considered a used Lectra San?

Valiente 11-13-2007 08:12 PM

Victoria is a disgrace.

It's wrong because you asked the question.

Sail out to pump out beyond three miles, or whatever the local limit is. The fact that others **** where they float doesn't make it right. That kind of logic went out with "I was only following orders". Don't add to the mess that makes the approaches to Victoria "following ordure".

Besides, I think you are the type of guy who needs fresh sea air to clear his head (pun intended) once in a while.

tommyt 11-13-2007 08:24 PM

Thank you Val, well said. We in the Great Lakes, both Canada and the US, take this seriously. No three mile limits here. Wire it shut or get the fines.

In the US we are easy on murder, but if you dump your **** in the Great Lakes and get caught, you will wish you were dead.

AjariBonten 11-13-2007 08:28 PM

I understand your frustration Hoffa; but "everybody else is doing it" doesn't even work for my 6yr old grandson......

Be the best guy in the harbor !

JohnRPollard 11-13-2007 08:38 PM

Hoffa,

For those of us who go to very considerable expense and inconvenience to comply with the no-discharge requirement, it's discouraging to hear about a place like Victoria.

In my book, direct discharge into the harbour waters is no different than throwing trash overboard, or out your car window for that matter. Maybe by way of example, you can pursuade your marina neighbors to adopt less vile habits.

sailingdog 11-13-2007 08:51 PM

I'd have to agree with the others... don't dump in the harbor.

camaraderie 11-13-2007 09:03 PM

Funny...but in the Caribe you can dump wherever you want and the water is pristine everywhere except in small enclosed harbors without tidal flow. I won't advise not to follow the law...but i believe the law is a sledgehammer where only a tack hammer should be needed. You got pods of Orcas taking dumps night and day in the Straights of Juan de Fuca with no ill effect...but you wouldn't want that in Lake Tahoe. Then they outlaw MSD's that process waste CLEANER than the municiple waste water regulations...and you can't find a working dump station within 10 miles....then you pay for the privilege of using it as it returns your waste to the municipal system and empties it back into the bay!! DUH!!!

HoffaLives 11-13-2007 09:21 PM

I see that some folks feel quite strongly about this. Is that because in the US they actually take it seriously and so the ethic has been adopted? There was a time when drinking and driving wasn't such a social taboo, either. Is it because if I pay, you should pay too?

I'm not exactly enamored with the quality of the harbor's water either, but while the idea of floating turds IS repugnant, I am a lot more concerned about the toxic buildup in the sediments from industry. That's the stuff that gives you seals with two heads. Not to mention people.

Not surprisingly the harbor authority recently announced "troubling" levels of E. coli in the water, but from what I understand from my microbiologist bro, in most cases it's harmless, but it's a MARKER for fecal contamination, which gets the health authorities scared fast. In fresh water it can lead to all kinds of plagues and stuff, but saltwater? What is the worry other than we don't like floating in sewers?

The thing about most ethics and morals, they only work if a good, solid segment of society also follow them. If you're the only guy adhering to a value, and paying all the consequences while everyone else ignores it and reaps the reward, you might feel good about yourself, and you might even be a model fellow, but you also just might be an twit.