Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007
On Blocks

Bermuda30 is on a distinguished road
Relocating Icebox

Hello all,

Pondering projects here, as I am far from the boat yet again. On my Grampian, the icebox is currently located in the cockpit, top loading style, like a cockpit locker with insulation. Obviously, direct sunlight, ect, it doesn't hold too well, and I tend to use a cooler. So here's the question: should I suck it up and deal with it, build a new ice box in/closer to the galley, or seal the top access and make a side-loading from the cabin (using the same box, with more insulation). Do prefer to stay with the box, not enough electrical capacity for a refer, and like the simplicity. Thank you all for any help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Move the box into the cabin. Having it in the cockpit makes the ice melt a lot faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-18-2007
On Blocks

Thanks for the quick reply SD. This is exactly what I was thinking, just anted to get a few outside opinions. I have been putting everything in a cooler in the pilot berth for weekend cruises, as it holds much longer. Any suggestions on volume or insulation? I'll try searching as well. Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2007
cubacruising.net editor

pedrodelrio is on a distinguished road
We had a bermuda 30

We had a Bermuda 30, too. but of the Cheoy Lee variety.

The Icebox toploaded from the front of the cockpit and had an old fashioned freezer door inside the galley area. I think we bought the boat because we liked the cooler so much.

I found the problem wasn't the cockpit access, but the lack of insulation beneath the box. We used expanding foam to take care of that issue and it worked worderfully from then on, including two years in the Caribbean.

Peter
Old 11-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Make the box toploading, and use at least 3–4" of good insulation all around. Also, put in a drain to allow you to get rid of ice water melt, but put a valve or a p-trap type bend in it to prevent cold air from flowing down it. If you use a p-trap type seal, make sure it doesn't drain into the bilge, since it will cause an awful stench.

Volume depends on how much storage you need... how long do you typically go out for, and how much food that requires refrigeration do you normally carry.

To size it... buy a weekend's worth of food and take the supplies that need refrigeration and put them in a box. Add about 20% to the size for ice. A cube would be more efficient in terms of space but you'll have to make the shape depending on what space you have available on the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-18-2007
On Blocks

pedro-That was supposed to be my first boat, but the guy sold it out from under me. For the expanding foam- did you use the generic Home Depot stuff or the marine 2-part?

SD- Thanks again! So far only weekend solo or 2 person cruises, but looking forward to longer trips in the future. I like the weekends worth of food idea, I'll try that. Now I just have to find where to put it...