Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
Good Things I Remember

Sometime I really get bummed out buy reading some of the posts and the problems people discuss. So I think it about time that some of us speak out about the good things we remember, That special anchorage, The weekend with the grandkids, The fish you caught yesterday, or just the feeling you had while under sail. Life is good, lets hear it!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Thanks Randy, a good thought.

This site has had me thinking a lot lately about my grandfather, Fred. He joined the merchant marine in 1911 or 1912, when they were still actually sailing! Not all boats, and not always, but often enough to say they were doing it.

When I was a lad we used to row out from Fisherman's Beach in Swampscott MA, out to The Graves just outside Boston Harbor (about 6 NM) in a grand banks dory and fish by handline all day. It's long enough ago that it's mostly generic memory, not so many specific events; but they are all wonderful none the less.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-19-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
The good things, well, for this board, I have a boat. I remember back when I didn't have a car and could not afford a cup of coffee at dunkin donuts, the boat was a dream (so was paying next months rent), hard work, smart decisions, and things can change.

Although, if I spend too much time here, I could find myself back to that place!
Old 11-19-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
I can go down and just sit in the cockpit of my boat -- and smile the whole time. Doesn't matter what the weather is like either, it can be the middle of summer or a cold day in January. Just being on the boat makes me happy. So much the better if I head out into the bay for some sailing.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 11-19-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
So many of my sailing memories are tied up in my memories of college; the two are intertwined. That was a special time and a special place.

Commodore, OPBYC
Old 11-19-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
We're out for an afternoon daysail with guests aboard who are sailing newbies, and a storm's coming in, and I'm stressing. Soon enough the lightning is crashing around us and the rain is sheeting down and the water is rising in layer after layer of misty blue mountains, and I'm trying not to show how stressed I am ... when the guest says with a note of awe, "It's beautiful!"

Attitude is everything!
Old 11-19-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Hey...all my life is good moments...but this is one of the reasons why..

NUMBER 88 IS THE BEST tributo ao Frederico
Old 11-19-2007

citation34 is on a distinguished road
My dad was not a sailor but for some reason he bought a home made eight foot pram lanteen rigged wooden 'beauty' (Coated thick with fiberglass; I think there's still some in my back) for my birthday. I was eleven or twelve years old. It even had a canvas sail. We lived in Perrine (South Miami), Florida and I sailed that thing in Biscayne Bay from south of the old John Deering estate to Matty's Hammock for years. That was in the sixties, low tide smelled bad and life was really good. Gui's boy Fred reminded me of then. I sure didn't have the style...

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'Liberty' Citation 34

Last edited by citation34; 11-19-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
My boat came out of the water a month ago for winter. One month down, only five to go!!
Old 11-19-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
I remember being terrified of sailing when i was a kid... crouching down in the cockpit trying not to "fall out." Eventually i would put a finger or two in the water.. then my arm... and then it got to the point that my parents had to hold on to me because i was getting too daring for their comfort. Although it's hard for me to remember the details of that time in my life, i definately remember sailing with Mom and Dad.

Here is Dad with my niece this past summer on the exact boat that they taught me to sail on. It's a Dolphin Sr. Still sail that boat every summer and it will always stay in the family... love that boat!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.