Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Wnat To Come Over To Sail For A Week??

I have this idea for a while now.

I have a friend and he owns a sailing school in Portugal where you learn to sail in real race boats, hull painted with sponsors etc..

HIs shool specializes in events where companies send their employees to race for a day or so...they are very popular.

I spoke with him, and would like to organize a Sailnet gathering for those interested. Time to put your action where your mouth is.

The idea is simple, I get him to charge a minimal fee, and we organize a group of 20 (or more if people want), and we spend 5 days opr so sailing here. We cold make day one as a familiarization day, organize a few teams and spend day 3 4 and 5 making real hard core races...I guarantee you would love it. If we do it in April or May, the weather is fantastic and Hotels will be cheap..hell you could even camp in our camping parks...flights in May are still less that $500 return from Newark....

The boats are either JOD's 35 (Jeanneau One design).. we have a lot of them here, they still are fast boats.

And we can also use the Grand Surprise 35.

here a few links to some we have here. They race every weekend and I know almost all of them...good people...serious sailing...fun...

http://www.atrportugal.com//index.ph...d=20&Itemid=43

http://www.atrportugal.com//index.ph...d=22&Itemid=42

http://www.atrportugal.com//index.ph...id=8&Itemid=24

http://www.atrportugal.com//index.ph...d=23&Itemid=47

http://www.terraincognita.pt

http://www.zlregata.com/jod_35.htm

and this is the school of a friend that teaches on jods and you're racing in a weekend

http://www.sailing-organization.com/...ation/news.php

http://mensail.com/gallery/

Atlantic teams & regatas.

http://www.tuttamania.com/tuttamania/index.html

why don't you guys think about this?? We get a few of us, and we'll meet here for this??

We have until May to organize...please come over...

The winning team will sail my boat for a whole day, wherever they want to go!!

Last edited by Giulietta; 11-20-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Wow Alex, that is a very generous offer, and sounds like a ball.

I'm in for a tentative, depending upon costs. Let's explore!
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-20-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I can talk to him and get a real good deal for using the boats. But first we need to come up with a decent group of people.

I have another friend that could do the lunch everyday, and a lot of beer and caipirinhas...

We could make 5 teams of 5, making it 5 boats...would be fun, we can make match race... Its up to you guys...think about it, ok??

here's a few photos of the boats.

Old 11-20-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Alex, I think there should be a "plan B" as well, based on a smaller number of takers.

I have been involved in making these sorts of arrangements for an Internet group in the past, with decidedly mixed results. ( I did, however, find my dear wife in the process!! ;-) )

If it's solely dependent on getting 15 or 20 takers, it might end up busting out.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-20-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Giu, as I told you, we need a vacation, I would be interested, it could be a lot of fun. Just one thing, we would need to come a day or two early so we can work on Mechele's fear of heeling!

I agree, 20 may be a lot to get confirmed, but I'm sure we could stiil do it with less.

Last edited by max-on; 11-20-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjariBonten View Post
Alex, I think there should be a "plan B" as well, based on a smaller number of takers.

I have been involved in making these sorts of arrangements for an Internet group in the past, with decidedly mixed results. ( I did, however, find my dear wife in the process!! ;-) )

If it's solely dependent on getting 15 or 20 takers, it might end up busting out.
AB, we can make it with less, I don't care and don't mind...but at least lets see if we get a few...

I will get in touch with him and find out what would be the cost for say 5 days, then I'll add the lunch cost etc..and we can come up with a final $ value per person.

But I am trying to avoid going thru all the trouble, and talk to people if I don't get enough people here to do it..at this stage I am only trying to see if we could have a decent number of people.

Please, if you people don't want to do it or can't, please refrain from posting stuff like:

Hey good idea...but I can't go....

I am serious about this, ok?
Old 11-20-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-on View Post
Giu, as I told you, we need a vacation, I would be interested, it could be a lot of fun. Just one thing, we would need to come a day or two early so we can work on Mechele's fear of heeling!
OK, Max, you will be my guest then...and we'll fix that, guaranteed...

besides...she will love to go shoping with Giulietta (please, my wife's name sounds like JULIET from Romeo and Juliet play.)
Old 11-20-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Its either come do that or sail south with you. I can't do both, don't have time.

Vaya con Dios
Old 11-20-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Warm weather, fancy boats, pretty girls, probably lots of wine...sounds like a program for a bunch of girlie sailors. With a big crew on a hi-tech boat, the weak links get to blame the other guys for their poor finish results.

Let's cut out all this Prada packaging and get real mano-to-mano, you wimp! Do you want to party in the sun or sail for glory?

I invite you and other Sailneters to race Lasers in Boston Harbor any weekend this Winter. It'll grow some hair on your chest and we'll all get to seperate the wimps from the hardcore. We can get boats from http://www.cpyc.org/laser/ . We could get 10 races in one weekend, on Saturday and Sunday mornings before the normal afternoon schedule. Local rules do cancel racing if the wind chill is below 0 degrees F, or if there's more than 10 inches of snow in the parking lot (the snow makes it hard for the ambulance to pick up anyone who capsizes...). I can guarantee you, no one has died, yet, - you usually are out of the hospital within the week. Also if the Harbor is frozen over, there is an automatic one hour postponement for the USCG to bring a cutter in to break a course through the ice. I've attached a picture of last year's fleet champion.

Sounds great, what do you think? All eager beavers can PM me and I'll get together a skippers list. I aready put Alex right at the top because I know what a keen competitor he is and he'd never miss a runny-nose opportunity like this.

As to the proposed sailing picnic in the sun I'd be interested, sissy sailing or not, if I get to drive upwind.
Attached Thumbnails
Wnat To Come Over To Sail For A Week??-windward-bearaway.jpg  

Last edited by sailingfool; 11-20-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2007
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
Hi Alex

Although I'm more the lazy cruiser type rather than a racer, sounds like a good excuse for a ball. I'm not too far away, so keep me posted & time permitting will be happy to join ya.