Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Powerboat to sailboat

I read somewhere that back in the 70s sailboats saw a big increase in sales because of the cost of Fuel? The costs of running a power boat are astromical now. Will it become a mad rush to buy sailboats as the PBers find it harder and harder to afford fuel? Imagine all those bayliners, wellcraft, donzis, etc on blocks in driveways Well at least they sold the trailers!!!

Other then my love of sailboats, fuel cost was my single most important reason to have a diesel inboard sailboat.

Will a new breed of sailors start plying the waters? Will there be an increase of boating accidents? Will there be renewed interest in Power Sailers?

just something to think about as you munch down on that drumstick today

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
By and large, those who can afford large powerboats, can afford the fuel. Walking down the dock in Charleston by the fuel pumps, I saw dollar amounts equal to my yearly budget, and they probably won't get a whole lot farther than I will with my 28 gal tank.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 11-22-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
If you typically put $1200 on your credit card with every fillup, another $200 is trivial. Likely the only consequence of rising fuel prices will be felt by those with financial consequences related to the real estate or financial markets to whom boating is an affordable escape therefore becoming more enjoyable.
Old 11-22-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Most of my frends with 40+ foot PB simply decided that day trips were out but still did the vacation thing. One of my buddies with a Pace 46 said that his fuel cost last summer was roughly $5.00 per mile.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 11-22-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
The big power boats in my marina still go out, day trips and all. It's the mid-sized ones that are popping up with "For Sale" signs all over the place.
Old 11-22-2007
Old Navy

TOMINDC2 is on a distinguished road
Sailors & Powerboaters are different

Keep in mind that sailing is a sport, a skill, a hobby, and for many, a lifestyle. The compartive complexity between the two is what seems to drive purchase choices; not gas. Powerboating is for playing on the water or taking care of commercial business -- insert key, start motor, go. The remark of a powerboater sums it up. "I couldn't switch to sail, there are all those ropes, and sails, and things, the heeling, slowness, need for lessons -- it's all too much. I just get in my boat and go."
Old 11-22-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I guess I should have said "joe average" not the upper middle class. I was talking with a transport captain one day last week and he was telling me they just moved a boat up the coast. $19,000! in fuel!

I guess PBers could argue that us sailboaters have all the fuel problems and engine problems because we don't use our engines enough

I still think there are going to be thousands of PBs owned by average working for a living type people for sale or stuck in the backyard or left to the elements.

My boat is for sale.

Old 11-22-2007

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Funny, I do not see a drop in sales for SUV's and trucks in my area nor do I see a waning interest in high performance cars, some people just don't think green.
According to data from NMMA sailboats are only a fraction or small percentage of boat sales. Most boat sales are those that have outboards on them, likely trailerable, after that the inboard/outboard and on up the scale. I did see a big surge in the kyack/canoe sector relative to the original small market share they occupied. See links below:
http://www.nmma.org/facts/boatingsta...tionstats2.asp
http://www.nmma.org/facts/boatingsta...s/Abstract.pdf

I realize this data is a few years old but it does indicate a trend. Powerboats are still the boat of choice despite the fuel costs.
Old 11-22-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
According to a sailboat broker The Admiral and I talked to earlier this year: No, power-boaters are not switching to sailing craft.

I think most power-boaters aren't in it for anything close to the same reasons sailors are.

Jim
Old 11-22-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Well, I am. But my main reason is that I want a bigger boat. And fuel on my smaller PB was bad enough so going up in size to a trawler wasn't acceptable.

At marinas near me, the big slips are full but the medium & especially the small slips are thinning out quite a bit. Those were for 25' to 35' boats. They aren't getting re-filled with sailboats. I think the average PB is just going out less or not going as far or downsizing to smaller boats.
I was talking to a fuel dock guy up in Northern Lake Huron. I asked if his business was suffering. He said his volume was the same but he was seeing fewer boats. Meaning the big boats were buying more fuel than ever. Boats like my 26' were becoming scarce.
I was very happy to get above BUC price for mine!

Gobble Gobble

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.