Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Perfect Day Of Sailing...

My friend and i took At Last out yesterday for about 7 hours around Oriental. It was a perfect day with a good amount of wind and temps in the 70's. We weren't breaking speed records but by the end of the day we were averaging between 5-6 knots. This was his first trip on a sailboat and by the end of the day he was ready for another trip. I told him as long as he wasn't on "rock star duty" next spring, that there would be plenty more opportunities.

a couple videos with the sails looking nice...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Joel,
Great videos you lucky dog. Off to eat the turkey.
Old 11-22-2007
phallo 1, Gustav 0

phallo153 is on a distinguished road
Gah I'm so jealous. My P27 is still laid up at the yard, hope to have it back in a week or two and get a few sails in before it gets too nasty.

Averaging 5-6 knots over 7 hours is a nice day - no wonder your friend is ready for more!

Old 11-22-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by phallo153 View Post
Gah I'm so jealous. My P27 is still laid up at the yard, hope to have it back in a week or two and get a few sails in before it gets too nasty.

Averaging 5-6 knots over 7 hours is a nice day - no wonder your friend is ready for more!
I wish that average was over the whole day but it was more towards the end of the day. The first hour or so the river was almost like glass!

I'm thinking about not winterizing at all and doing some winter sailing just for the hell of it. I would keep a 60watt bulb in the engine area to keep it warm... not sure this is a great idea though. We get hard freezes but it's been pretty mild around here the last few winters. I didn't have it in me to take the sails off when we left but i did winterize the waterlines and holding tank areas.

Old 11-22-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Joel....niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice....

Hey...I am not really sure but in your videos it looks like you're sailing with the cabin windows (don't know the name in English) open...don't do that.
Old 11-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Doesn't look or sound very windy... maybe 10-15 knots??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-22-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Giu, They would be called port lights and they are actually closed. They only appear open because you are seeing the screens on the outside. It's fixed plexi on each side with the window opening from the inside. Is sea spray why you were saying keep them closed?

Dog, It wasn't very windy earlier and then in the last couple hours it picked up a lot. Yes, about 10-15 Kts.

Old 11-22-2007
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Joel, i am in Charlotte and i didn't winterize my engine last year. I think it stays a little warmer where you are. With the engine sitting at or below water line it helps keep it from freezing.
Old 11-27-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackytdunaway View Post
Joel, i am in Charlotte and i didn't winterize my engine last year. I think it stays a little warmer where you are. With the engine sitting at or below water line it helps keep it from freezing.
Thanks Jacky! What do you think about the lightbulb idea? Seems like it would be fine as long as it was placed safely and plugged into a GFCI outlet. The only reason i'm reluctant to doing this is the 3 hour drive to the boat. I'm not sure how many in my area actually winterize... the lightbulb suggestion came from my sailing instructor who has 6 boats in the school fleet. I should give some of my neighbors a call to see what they do.

Old 11-27-2007
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
We always kept a light bulb in the small pump house at home when we had a well and it did the trick. you really don't see any cold weather out there so i don't even think that would be needed. Best to check with the locals though.