Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
sailors and wind farms

I'm really curious to know what sailors think of wind farms, onshore or offshore. I'm working on a report right now for the Ontario Nature Federation (ON Nature), and I'll eventually get something up on the Georgian Bay cruising website. There are quite a few projects under way around the Great Lakes in Ontario, and some (heck, most) have run into controversy, mainly from property owners who really don't like the idea of looking at them or perhaps having to listen to them. My unscientific survey to date says sailors generally like the idea of them (they employ the wind, after all), but I would welcome feedback, especially from sailors out there who have actually encountered them in their area.
thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is better to be vaguely correct than specifically wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They're looking to put on in on Nantucket Sound, down my neck of the woods. I think wind farms, properly designed and implemented, are a good thing... but they'll need to clearly mark the individual wind gens on the charts, as they're a serious navigation hazard, much like the off-shore oil platforms down in the Gulf of Mexico.

Also, depending on how large an area the wind farm covers, it might make sense to have them marked and lighted in such a manner that the different wind gens are clearly identifiable. If you've got 30-50 of these sticking up out of the water, it would be nice to be able to tell if you were at the first, the fifth or the fifteenth of them... and roughly how many you had left to get by, without having to try and guess from your DR position.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 11-23-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-23-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Biggest problem I've seen with wind farms, is everyone wants them, BUT, not where they can see them.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 11-23-2007

skfnek is on a distinguished road
We are absolutely infavor of the wind farms. We saw lots of them around west texas in ranchland. Now there is one slated for offshore Galveston, Tx where we now live. I have wondered how they will be marked and like the idea that SailingDog put forth about numbering North to South as a standard or something similar. We need all the renewable energy sources we can exploit, so we need to learn to compensate for the changes in our lifestyle.

SKFNEK sailing "Miss Guided" out of Galveston, Tx
Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The real reason I think the individual wind gens should be easily identifiable is that Nantucket Sound often gets some serious fog... and if you can't see the others, it would be nice to be able to use the wind gen as a navigation mark, and make it much easier for you to avoid hitting the others... since you'll have a much better chance of knowing where you are in relation to them, even in the fog.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-23-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
The Georgian Bay Association, which is a creature of waterfront property owners, is really lobbying hard not to have them along the bay's shore. Their own committee report actually downplays the whole sound issue, but they clearly just don't like the idea of looking at the things. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. There's a big battle right now on Wolfe Island, near Kingston, Ont., between shoreline property owners and rural landowners who want to lease land for wind farms.
Toronto has one big generator on the waterfront, not in the water. I think people generally like it, as it says something about clean energy. I don't know if they'd feel any differently if there was a whole farm, or if Humber bay was dotted with them. Cpn Malcom makes excellent points about visibility and safe navigation. Denmark has massive wind farms offshore, and I'm not sure how they've handled this issue.
My thanks to everyone for the prompt and thoughtful replies. This is going to be a big issue along our shores, where it isn't already.

It is better to be vaguely correct than specifically wrong.
Old 11-23-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
N I M B Y ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Biggest problem I've seen with wind farms, is everyone wants them, BUT, not where they can see them.
Everybody want there to be an energy alternative; nobody wants to change anything about the way they live.

I know, a gross generalization; but true enough to be a PIA.

I think wind power is here to stay. It's the most viable alternative in the largest geographical part of the world. Solar may take precedence in some latitudes; but for most the sun is too shallow to be efficient enough. Also, it's the most proven, and technologically simple, alternative.

I don't want to start the "peak oil" debate; but for the purposes of this discussion let's agree that petroleum is a finite resource. IMHO it is too important for so many other uses that to burn it for energy more than absolutely needed is a tremendous waste.

Are there environmental impacts of wind generation?
Of course; everything has an impact on something.

Is wind the one true solution?
Of course not, it will be an important part (one of many) of our energy supply from here on in.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-23-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I don't mind them, and they will reduce our dependence in fossil fuel.

We have many many farms in my country and in our coasts.

The tree hugers tried to block, but none of their conclusions were proven...we built and are happy.

Besides, the wind is for everyone...GO WINDMILLS!!!!
Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

ROFLMAO... I was wondering who the hell Cpn Malcom is... Just FYI, Captain Malcolm Reynolds isn't me... he's the captain of space-going tramp freighter named Serenity, in the short-lived TV series Firefly and the movie Serenity. I just loved the quote he says about starships...and thought it was equally applicable, with a bit of modification, to sailboats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva27 View Post
Cpn Malcom makes excellent points about visibility and safe navigation. Denmark has massive wind farms offshore, and I'm not sure how they've handled this issue.
My thanks to everyone for the prompt and thoughtful replies. This is going to be a big issue along our shores, where it isn't already.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-23-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
TPI, a fiberglass fabricator with a plant at our marina that also produces hulls for Pearson, JBoat and Alerion - among others, had a contract to produce vanes for a land based wind farm project a few years ago. I was amazed over the scale of these vanes, as hundreds of them were regularly trucked out on flat beds. The molds still sit in the boneyard behind the marina.

Some time after that the Dutch and Swedes constructed a massive offshore windfarm. The photos and videos from that project were used to educate the public by the group of private investors planning the Nantucket Sound project - the first of it's kind in the US.

For those who haven't yet seen the scale and magnitude of these things, check out some of these photos from the Dutch installation. The TPI project pales by comparison.

A promotional digitized image:

A series of actual construction photos:

I agree that we need to consider all directions for reducing our dependance of foreign oil - but, I am ambivalent about it being in my back yard. There are similar discussions as Nantucket Sound, for an offshore installation off Newport RI - between Sakonnet and Sachuest Points, which would create some navigational hazard issues for all boaters - especially during typical fog conditions.

In spite of all the negativity though - it is a good thing.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 11-23-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.