Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
I'm moving to Dallas, How's the Sailing

I moving to the Dallas area, Grapevine to be specific. I've been out to Lk Grapevine, had lunch at Big Daddies. There looks to be alot of sail boats in the marina. I assume the sailing is good there. If you've done any sailing on Lk Grapevine or any other Dallas area lakes Id love to here about it.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2007
Siren 17

Come on guys. You mean to tell me no ones sailed the Dallas area. What lakes are best for what. when is the better season. What boats do you go out on.

A little more back story perhaps. I sold my Bristol Corsair 24. It would have cost more to move it then it was worth. That plus I would have had to keep it in a marina that cold lift it out every so often. I've been thinking of building or buying something trailerable. Are there lakes in the vicinity that I should check out. How are the public boat ramps. I saw a nice little boat on the Sailing Texas site, but it had a deeper fixed keel. Is that going to be a consistent problem when I go to launch it. Around here there are some steeper boat ramps. I don't want to have to put my bumper under water to launch a boat.

Also, we bought a house in Grapevine, so I wont be building or buying till some time in the spring or beyond. If you have a boat and could use some company, I'll buy the first lunch. Any ways, I would like to hear what you've got to say about sailing in the area, or sailing resources in the area. Thanks
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 11-26-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Dan,

I will write back soon. I am running right now, but I live in the Dallas area.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-26-2007

CapnSantiago is on a distinguished road
Hey there...I've lived in Dallas for 25 years and have been sailing here for 10...I've sailed Grapevine, not my favorite lake but has a good sailing community, kinda small, good east/west orientation (for the predominantly southern winds, so you can sail on a beam) deep water/rocky bottom so the water stays clearer than Texas' mostly clay bottom lakes, lots of sailboats and few motorboats...you can sail from the west end to the damn and back in about 4 hours (then you can do it again if you want to...)...

I've also sailed Lake Lewisville in north Dallas...larger lake but not as deep and has a clay bottom so mostly muddy...I had a shared lease on a J-24 here out of Pier 121 for about 7 years...takes most of the day to sail from Pier 121 marina at the east end to Eagle Point marina off of I-35 on the west...again oriented mostly east/west (at least the sailable part is) so with predominant south winds your on a beam...Eagle Point has a nice bar/restaraunt/outdoor play area...althought the lake is larger there are some low spots to navigate and a lot of the northern portions have too many underwater trees to sail in...there is a private/club marina on the north side and a local knowledge pass through the trees to it...

I currently have an Islander Bahama 30 on Texoma at Cedar Mills Marina, just 1.5 hours north of Dallas...largest lake in Texas...definitely my favorite...you can sail all weekend and not see the entire lake...

So, it kinda depends on what kind of sailing you want to do...the only trailer sailing I've done is with a 14' daysailor so ramps/water depth was not an issue and I sailed Grapevine or Lewisville just because there close...if your trailering and day sailing there are several lakes all around Dallas an hour or so away...Grapevine is a sailing lake...Lewisville to the north is mostly a motorboat lake w/some sailboats (Lewisville has an undeserved reputation of being "dangerous" only because it is so close to Dallas it gets lots of weekend ski/power/speed boat activity and with that influx someone is bound to do something stupid and make the headlines...Lake Ray Hubbard to the east has a sailing community a sailing school and a Catalina dealer, though I've never sailed there...lake Ray Roberts just an hour north on the north side of Sanger has a sailing community though I've never sailed there...Joe Pool lake to the south has a small sailing community, I've never sailed there though my opinion is that it is too small for exploring...

and if you really want to venture out Austin has Lake Travis with a sizeable sailing community and a Beneteau dealership (one place I'd like to sail but never have), or you can always go to Houston (4-5 hours) or on down to the Gulf (5-6 hours) or over to ClearLake (1 hour east of Houston) which is a large sailing community and a great party area at Kemah with an outlet to the Gulf...

So, welcome to Texas/Dallas area...man-made lakes abound all around, just pick your poison...
Old 11-26-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnSantiago View Post
Hey there...I've lived in Dallas for 25 years and have been sailing here for 10...I've sailed Grapevine, not my favorite lake but has a good sailing community, kinda small, good east/west orientation (for the predominantly southern winds, so you can sail on a beam) deep water/rocky bottom so the water stays clearer than Texas' mostly clay bottom lakes, lots of sailboats and few motorboats...you can sail from the west end to the damn and back in about 4 hours (then you can do it again if you want to...)...

I've also sailed Lake Lewisville in north Dallas...larger lake but not as deep and has a clay bottom so mostly muddy...I had a shared lease on a J-24 here out of Pier 121 for about 7 years...takes most of the day to sail from Pier 121 marina at the east end to Eagle Point marina off of I-35 on the west...again oriented mostly east/west (at least the sailable part is) so with predominant south winds your on a beam...Eagle Point has a nice bar/restaraunt/outdoor play area...althought the lake is larger there are some low spots to navigate and a lot of the northern portions have too many underwater trees to sail in...there is a private/club marina on the north side and a local knowledge pass through the trees to it...

I currently have an Islander Bahama 30 on Texoma at Cedar Mills Marina, just 1.5 hours north of Dallas...largest lake in Texas...definitely my favorite...you can sail all weekend and not see the entire lake...

So, it kinda depends on what kind of sailing you want to do...the only trailer sailing I've done is with a 14' daysailor so ramps/water depth was not an issue and I sailed Grapevine or Lewisville just because there close...if your trailering and day sailing there are several lakes all around Dallas an hour or so away...Grapevine is a sailing lake...Lewisville to the north is mostly a motorboat lake w/some sailboats (Lewisville has an undeserved reputation of being "dangerous" only because it is so close to Dallas it gets lots of weekend ski/power/speed boat activity and with that influx someone is bound to do something stupid and make the headlines...Lake Ray Hubbard to the east has a sailing community a sailing school and a Catalina dealer, though I've never sailed there...lake Ray Roberts just an hour north on the north side of Sanger has a sailing community though I've never sailed there...Joe Pool lake to the south has a small sailing community, I've never sailed there though my opinion is that it is too small for exploring...

and if you really want to venture out Austin has Lake Travis with a sizeable sailing community and a Beneteau dealership (one place I'd like to sail but never have), or you can always go to Houston (4-5 hours) or on down to the Gulf (5-6 hours) or over to ClearLake (1 hour east of Houston) which is a large sailing community and a great party area at Kemah with an outlet to the Gulf...

So, welcome to Texas/Dallas area...man-made lakes abound all around, just pick your poison...

Boy,

I could not have said it better. Great writeup Cpt.

I also keep my tub on Texoma (Cedar Mills). If you really enjoy sailing, it will be the best sailing around until you get to the coast. It is a VERY large lake. They also build Valiant Yachts there and there is a very strong cruising community there. I have also sailed Hubbard for many years, but it does not compare to Texoma.

It was a toss-up between Texoma and the coast for us. In the end, I ddi not choose Texoma becuase it was closer, I chose it because of Cedar Mills and the community. It is a great place to get outfitted to head off cruising. In fact, I have never been to a better place of knowledgeable people and friendly service. If you need any specifics on these PM me and I will help.

- CD

PS I know many people that have moved off of Grapevine due to low water problems. Although that can happen at Texoma too, it is less likely.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-26-2007
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Two sites worth looking at:

SailingTexas, which has a "Texas Lakes" section worth viewing. Also check the videos page, where you can see people sailing on some of the lakes.

And http://www.trailersailor.com/ has a preponderance of southern/Gulf Coast/Texas sailors, including many in the Dallas area.

Good luck with your move, & don't swallow any brain-eating amoebas.
Old 11-26-2007
Siren 17

Quote:
Good luck with your move, & don't swallow any brain-eating amoebas.
Yah, we got those down here too. Thanks for the info on Lk Grapevine and Lk Lewis, Cpt. I looked up Cedar mills, you and CD are deffenitly onto something there. I'll have to convince my girl to spend a weekend up there. Keep the info coming fellas. I'm going to check out those sites, Bobm.
Old 11-26-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
I agree with CD – CapnSantiago summed up the area pretty well.

Lake Grapevine:
My least favorite in the Metroplex. It’s too small and boring (only my opinion) and it does seem so suffer the most during droughts. The same goes for Joe Poole Lake which is where I picked up our boat. Both have great restaurants with attached docks but that’s about it . . . in my opinion.
http://www.twincovesmarina.com/
http://www.scottslandingmarina.com/
http://www.lynncreekmarina.com/

Lake Ray Hubbard:
Great lake! I do most of my windsurfing there. Dennis Conner was there racing a J24 a few years ago. Chandlers Landing is a really nice Marina and club on the North end by I-30. Chandler’s also has ASA and US Sailing schools on site. Rush Creek Yacht Club on the South end is really nice
too. They race scows - a lot of them! My favorite on Hubbard. As far as Racing goes this lake (my opinion) has the best collection of racing sailors in the Metroplex.
http://www.rcyc.org/

White Rock Lake:
I learned to sail on this lake in our Coronado 15 in the 70’s. It’s a small shallow lake with a long history in the center of Dallas. Great small boat racing here with Butterfly’s, Lasers, C-15’s, and Flying Scots. One of the Laser racers on White Rock is a former world champion. RC Sailboat racing is also big here.
http://www.cscsailing.org/
http://www.whiterockboatclub.com/

Lake Lavon:
Feeds Lake Ray Hubbard from the North. It’s a big lake with only two marinas. Collin Park being the largest. Collin Park Has a great group of sailors and some of the best parties around. We sail there because it’s right next door and also where we keep the wakeboard boat. The restaurant . . . well . . . lets just leave that one alone. Lavon would be too far to be worth it from Grapevine anyway.
http://www.collinpark.com/

Lake Lewisville:
If I lived in Grapevine I’d sail Lake Lewisville. There are a lot of Sailboats on that lake. That’s where the big ones are in the Metroplex. Stumps are not a problem once you learn the layout. A fishing map of the lake on board will be good enough. Eagle Point Marina on the west side is huge with everything you could ever need . . . except for a West Marine. You’ll have to drive into Dallas or Cowtown for that. There is a nice Boaters World a few minutes away. Pier 121 is on the East Side, Another huge marina with the same stuff that Eagle Point has. There are actually several marinas on the lake but these are the main ones. Matt Meadows (a very experienced ocean sailor) has a US Sailing / ASA sailing school at 121 with several boats to rent. I think he still keeps his 41 Hinckley there but I’m not sure. He keeps it at Texoma sometimes. Matt’s a great guy to know.
http://www.pier121marina.com/
http://www.eaglepointmarina.com/

Lake Texoma:
This is the lake for the really really big boats. My favorite of all. It’s the best lake around! I got to race with a friend once (I was the green ballast) on a Bahama 30 out of Cedar Mills in the eighties. Great boat! The lake has several nice marinas and going from one to another is like a cruise. Cedar Mills is my favorite marina but Grand Pappy’s is really beautiful also. When Cheri and I move up we’ll keep the boat at Texoma until the last kid is out then it’s Galveston Bay! We rent bigger boats on the bay often. Kemah is only a 4.5 hour drive from Grapevine. I highly recommend the trip.
http://www.cedarmills.com/
http://www.grandpappy.com/

Boat Ramps:
We currently sail a Chrysler 26. Boat and trailer weigh over 6500 pounds. I have a ˝ ton 2 wheel drive PU and have never had a problem at any ramp in Texas. They are (almost) all well built and maintained. Sailing the Bay is almost always good but here in North Texas in January and February? There are good days occasionally but generally . . . it sucks. Late July and August is a little light on wind. Late August and early September almost no wind . . . but . . . on the flip side it is scorching hot and humid.

Welcome to Big D!
Thanks to Grapevine We’re tied with Houston for seventh worst traffic congestion in the nation. You really will like it here though. Our boat is out of the water until March for a remodel. Get it touch if you don’t have a replacement boat by then. I’d love to show off the area sailing!

One last site to cover the Metroplex
http://www.dallasrelo.com/marinas.html#whiterocklake

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 11-27-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Lewisville is filled with the go-fast powerboat boys and the toys.... my vote would be for texoma.
"Serious" sailors head for Cedar Mills, the Partiers go to Highport, the racers head to grandpappys.

Me, I'm a broken down man on a halifax pier.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 11-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you do end up in Cedar Mills, watch out for a Catalina 400 named Sea Mist IV... she has a bad habit of detonating bbq grills of the back... they are supposed to go up as high as 150-200' when the captain makes that mistake...and the fireball is pretty impressive.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.