Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Son,

Kudos on our selection!

I'm with TB on many of his comments. You should keep in mind that you've got to keep your benefactor happy (think of the company as a surrogate parent, albeit one who won't do your laundry or welcome you home for the holidays.)

I think that your outline is a bit too big for a four-pager. Once you devote at least a paragraph to fully developing each of the topics, you'll easily be looking at 12 single-spaced pages.

My hat's off to you on one thing, though:

"Maybe you guys can help me in writing it."

For a future manager, you've already begun to figure out how to delegate!
Thanks PorFin,
Yes as Managers we have secretaries!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Hog, just keepin' outta trouble ... most days all that requires is just keepin' me fingers off the keyboard!

Writin'? Most folks just too damn long winded! A page of boring generally gets a better grade than six pages of boring.
Old 11-26-2007

byrondv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
Right now we have to write a 4 page paper on something, I wanted to do the whole class on sailing, i wanted to write about sailing every chance I got.
You really have to ask yourself - what is the purpose of going back to school. Will writing about sailing translate to something usefull for your job?

I am kind of shocked there aren't any guidlines on the writing... What class are you taking?
Old 11-26-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Son of a Sailor,
I have a story of a misadventure over the Thanksgiving holiday. It involved this lady who was doing the ICW thing with her husband on a 2006 42' IP. They were parked on the same transient dock as my family and I were with our C30. Theirs was a comfortable ride, but not comfortable enough for the old bitch. When she saw me working on my boat (had some 12v problems), she assumed I was a dockhand and just started ordering me about like I was some trained monkey. At first I tried to be helpful, but once I realized that she thought I was working for her and could therefore box me about the ears because she was a frustrated old witch, then my attitude changed. Her husband just kind of hung out in the background with this impish look on his face. He didn't want ME blaming HIM for a mistake he made 40 years ago. Anyway, they had electrical problems of their own which I initially tried to help them with, but I ended up telling her that her tw-t smelled "like low tide."

Seeing how you can write about anything, I would write about something you and everyone else is really interested in. If it were me, I'd write about sailing and poontang. Nobody wants to read about global warming.

Last edited by sailhog; 11-26-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... Sailhog.. you just made my morning... I guess you shouldn't have been wearing that "I'm a deck swabbie" shirt that morning...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-26-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Seeing how you can write about anything, I would write about something you and everyone else is really interested in. If it were me, I'd write about sailing and poontang. Nobody wants to read about global warming.
Sailhog speaks wisely - we want to read about feel-good things, and what feels better than sailing and sex?

Coincidently, I was pondering the topic of how sex influences what professional writers write, during my office lunch break. Has anyone noticed the new Diet Coke can lately? Along the top rim are the words GIVE LIVE LOVE. Some ad writer was paid big money to come up with those three words.

And if that wasn't convincing enough, the graphics department reinforced this subliminal message with an abstract imagery of breasts . . . and quite a few of them at that.

Just another token of proof to back up sailhog's great wisdom.
Old 11-26-2007

TB,
I'm dying here... Just looking at that can gave me an erection...

By the way, if you're getting paid $2/word in my business you're doing really well. So that guy got $6! Not too shabby...
Old 11-26-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I got horny looking at the can's orifice and attached pop tab, just above those three seductive words. If you squint your eyes tight enough, and use some imagination . . . well, you know what I'm saying.
Old 11-26-2007

Whoaaa! Uh, I'm going to sign off here for a moment... I'll be right back.
Old 11-26-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
You guys are to funny! For my paper I'm just looking for a grade! All I have to get is a "C" for my company to pay it! Let it be known I always shoot for a " A" This is a Composition class its all writing and right now I am on line doing this class! I go on camps every other 8 weeks. I figured I should go back while I want to and able. I never liked school and realized I need to like it for a little while longer so I can afford my boat! I'm 37 and need to get Thur this BS!All I want to do is go sailing, I also thought of getting my captains license too! Does anyone have any info on doing this?