Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Back in school!

Hello friends at sailnet, I am back in school for my BS for Technical Management. My work was paying for it so I could not pass this opportunity up. Right now we have to write a 4 page paper on something, I wanted to do the whole class on sailing, i wanted to write about sailing every chance I got. I thought this would make it better to deal with. Maybe you guys can help me in writing it. Here is my outline and what I have so far. The "letters" in the outline are the titles that I thought of.

Start of it.

Global warming is increasing the Earth's temperature, which in turn causes changes in climate. A warmer Earth may lead to changes in rainfall patterns, a rise in sea level, and a wide range of impacts on plants, wildlife, and humans. When scientists talk about the issue of climate change, their concern is about global warming caused by human activities. Which is all controlled by the government and now it seems that all of this is on the consumers to fix it. The weather and climate is now changing and will affect us a in some time. Weather changes every day and at anytime, it could change in very short amount of time today. It might be raining in a location and in a hour it could be sunny in the same place, wind conditions could change in the matter of minutes and bring heavy storms.
One day the oil rigs will run dry, and sailing will be needed.

Outline,..

Title “Be ready for Global Warming and learn to sail”

Introduction
A. Global Warming will change us all.
B. Sailing is a great way to understand Mother Nature.
II. Body
A. Sailing Basics
1. Learning how to sail
2. Sailing is for everyone
3. Safety on board
4. Equipment needed
B. Sailboats
1. Parts of a sailboat
2. Racing, cruising
3. Points of sail
4. Finding your way
C. Relaxing
1. Sleeping on board
2. What to bring
3. Cooking on board
D. Sailing theory & wind
1. How a sailboat works
2. Sailing across the wind
3. Reading the water
4. Apparent wind
5. Storms
III. Conclusion

A. Sailing is good way to forget the everyday routine.
B. People will learn to respect Mother Nature and the changes of our climate in the future.

Last edited by ImASonOfaSailor; 11-26-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Congratulations for the continuing education opportunity through your place of work. With all due respects though, I wonder how your employers would perceive sailing as the only topic you choose to write about - considering they're paying the bill for a Techincal Management course.

Business related subjects would also better condition you for your chosen technical career. The sailing topic of course, can be used for this 4 page initial paper, but perhaps you should consider reducing the number of "chapters". It would be best to concentrate of one, or two sailing components, since an entire book would be necessary to adequately explain what you have indentified.
Old 11-26-2007
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Son,

Kudos on our selection!

I'm with TB on many of his comments. You should keep in mind that you've got to kep your benefactor happy (think of the company as a surrogagte parent, albeit one who won't do your laundry or welcome you home for the holidays.)

I think that your outline is a bit too big for a four-pager. Once you devote at least a paragraph to fully developing each of the topics, you'll easily be looking at 12 single-spaced pages.

My hat's off to you on one thing, though:

"Maybe you guys can help me in writing it."

For a future manager, you've already begun to figure out how to delegate!
Old 11-26-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Son of a Sailor,
I've been a writer by trade for a very long time, and as such I think I can offer you some very sound advice on something as simple as writing some BS essay for some ridiculous college course. Chose a single topic and write about that. You should probably also mention why it interests you. Or, if you think you can make a sensible connection, write about two different topics, and write about them both and how they are related. These are often very nice essays. What you don't want to do is what you are proposing: writing about three or more completely unrelated things: global warming, exhausing fossil fuels, the ins-and-outs of sailing, storms, etc., and then putting together a very naive and unconvincing argument as to how they are related.

One topic that I find sorely neglected is the reasons why sailors' wives tend to be so f------ ugly and why they are so often downright bitchy. Is it the sun that ages their skin prematurely, and they're mad about that? Did they contract gonnorhea, and it's made them mean and ugly? My research indicates that it's the fact that their husbands worked their asses off for their entire adult lives, and provided a very comfortable living. All this time, the husband had been dreaming about sailing to exotic ports, which we all know doesn't go hand-in-hand with being comfortable. So once the old man finally gets to cast off the dock lines, his wife pisses and moans about her Chardonnay being warm because the boat's refrigeration system isn't plugged into the grid, or how the f------ air conditioner isn't working as it should. All of this complaining, of course, makes them grow old in a hurry.

Anyway, food for thought. Good luck.
Sailhog
Old 11-26-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Anyway, food for thought. Good luck.
Sailhog
We can always count on the hawg to reduce our appetites, anytime he offers his food for thought.
Old 11-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
We can always count on the hawg to reduce our appetites, anytime he offers his food for thought.
TB,
I have a good story to off Son of a Sailor. Of course he'll probably write about how a sailboat works instead of what everyone wants to know, which is why some 65-y-o skank from D.C. just can't seem to put a smile on her face at the Beaufort Marina on Thanksgiving morning. If I was her husband, I would have given her the O.J. treatment a long time ago.
Old 11-26-2007
John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
sailhog I hope one day to meet you ! You are always true to your word HOG!
Yes school is a bunch of BS and no my place of work will not care about this topic. This is a course that has to be taken just like any degree has! Here is the Purpose of the paper.

Our credibility is at stake when we discuss or write about a controversial topic--one in which there are two arguable sides. If we want to make sure our argument is perceived as believable, we must use the research of the experts in our topic's field, Solve a problem, or make an argument. After this research is incorporated into our document, we must make sure that we cite it. Two of the most common styles from which we can choose for this documentation are MLA and APA.

MLA (Modern Language Association): English, foreign languages, and other humanities areas use this style.
APA (American Psychological Association): psychology and other social sciences, as well as business, use this style.

I do personally think that Global Warming will be good for sailors all over if its really whats going on. There would be more water for us to sail on and if the oil prices keep going up they something has to be the alternative! I just cant wait in 2 years i will get my Trimaran! So I can preach more about how important the wind is!
Old 11-26-2007
John

Quote:
TB,
I have a good story to off Son of a Sailor. Of course he'll probably write about how a sailboat works instead of what everyone wants to know, which is why some 65-y-o skank from D.C. just can't seem to put a smile on her face at the Beaufort Marina on Thanksgiving morning. If I was her husband, I would have given her the O.J. treatment a long time ago.
Give it to me HOG; I want to hear your story! I can change anything in my paer guys help me write a Kick A- - paper on sailing! I used Global warming to lead into sailing!
Old 11-26-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
TB,
Turned ya down, did she?
Old 11-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeyedbob View Post
Turned ya down, did she?
Bob,
How are you this morning? Where've you been?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.