Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus1457 View Post
On a cruise in the Med off the coast of France, with no wind, we were motoring along on a sea of glass, when we came upon a one-liter bottle that had contained mineral water. I decided to pick it up just to be a good marine citizen, but found it had a light nylon line attached to it. At the other end of the line there was something heavy. I started to put it on the winch to bring up the mystery object, when the skipper came along and removed the line from the winch, threw the bottle into the water.

"What did you do that for? I wanted to see what was on the other end?" I objected.

He told me he had a pretty good idea what might be on the other end [drug drop] and he had no idea who was watching with binoculars, and we got the hell out of there.

That is scary!
ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Pegasus, in Europe its common for poorer amateur fishermen to use the bottle to set the traps for Octopus and Crab!!!

We have hundreds of thousands of them in my coast...hundreds...

Altough you may not be prosecuted by the police, you would surely get a punch in the nose by a angry dude...happens all the time...

either way, don't pick up what's not yours....that's my motto...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
And I thought you guys would have some real "you won't sleep tonight" stories!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-27-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
Ah, the dreaded "peyote watch".
No, no, drugs, other than the Bonnine. I've been 'severely' seasick twice, in rough weather offshore, and each time I got very, very nauseated, very lethargic/weak, with an inability to focus, and that last time I hallucinated. I kept telling myself, it's not real, there are no killer squid on the boat, it's not real . . . . Not a good watch.
Old 11-27-2007
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post

Pegasus, in Europe its common for poorer amateur fishermen to use the bottle to set the traps for Octopus and Crab!!!

We have hundreds of thousands of them in my coast...hundreds...
This was no trap. We were in 1200 meters of water!
Old 11-27-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
On a cruise in the Med off the coast of France....

Quote:
This was no trap. We were in 1200 meters of water!
Where is the 1200 meters of bottom in the med ????

Knotaloud is that you???
Old 11-27-2007

paulk is on a distinguished road
We were a day out of Tortola, heading North to Bermuda, when the main batteries suddenly went dead. No lights. No engine. Had to navigate by the stars because we couldn't see the compass at night. We ended up tacking up the channel to Hamilton. Luckily the depthsounder had its own battery. We watched it go 500, 300, 100, TACK! about 80 times. That was spooky, but going through the Gulf Stream with three waterspouts in sight at once was the scariest.
Old 11-28-2007
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
To the best of my recollection we were about 10nm SE of St Raphael.

My chart of the region [Navicarte R.1 Marseille-San Remo]
shows 2000m in that region.

Maybe you need a nap, Alex
Old 11-28-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

Knotaloud is that you???
My sources say:
"The total water area of the Mediterranean is 965,900 mi2 (2,501,000 km2), and its average depth is 5040 ft (1536 m). The greatest depth in the western basin is 12,200 ft (3719 m), in the Tyrrhenian Sea. The eastern basin is deeper, with a greatest depth of 18,140 ft (5530 m) in the Ionian Sea about 34 mi (55 km) off the Greek mainland. The Atlantic tide disappears in the Strait of Gibraltar. The tides of the Mediterranean are predominantly semidiurnal."
Old 11-28-2007

LynW is on a distinguished road
The Lady Luvibond

This is one of the most famous ghost ships in England. (See here). It is said to appear every 50 years after it was deliberately wrecked on the Goodwin Sands on February 13th, 1748, when it tries to lure other ships to their doom on the famous 'swallowing sands'. The Goodwin Sands have accounted for more recorded ship losses than anywhere else in the world.

There were sightings in 1798, 1848 and 1898, and another ship was lost with all hands on the same day in 1948.

On Feb 13th 1998 we set out in our yacht from nearby Dover to the exact spot on the sands where the wreck was recorded. It's a bleak spot out in the English Channel, and visibility was limited as fog swirled eeriely over the sands. If ever there was a perfect setting for a ghost ship to appear, that was it.

Alas, we didn't even hear the cries of the drowning wedding guests. Nor did any of the other three boats that were out there with us.

Last edited by LynW; 11-28-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2007

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
I've seen some pretty scary things out on the water, perhaps the worse being that of a portly sailor bending over his forepeak while hanking on his jib - wearing nothing but a thong. That nightmarish event still makes me shudder. Bet you're glad I'm not posting a picture of that?

But, if we're talking about mysteries unsolved above or below the deep blue, I took a pic of an object some time ago, that still mystifies me. While diving a 110 ft deep wreck off Looe Key, I went deep into one of the holds and came upon this:

I took the photo just after trying to lift it, which caused all the particulate specs floating about. It consisted of a square, sleeve-like base measuring approximately 2 ft x 2 ft - fabricated of welded steel plates. It was sitting on the hold's floor and firmly fastened to the top of the block, was what appeared to be a pair of leather shoes with leather laces. The "shoes" couldn't budge - otherwise I'd have taken one to the surface.

What on earth was the purpose of this object?
Hey, those look like the boots that Jimmy Hoffa used to wear to the Monday night Union meetings!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.