Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007

JLBJR is on a distinguished road
Hull numbers

I often see people refering to their boat use a hull number. Like Sabre 28 Hull 400. Is the hull number part of the registration number? If not where would the hull number be listed?

Thanks,

JLBJR
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
the hull # is foun din the HIN (similar to VIN, but for boats). It is etched or imprinted in the hull, usually at the starboard quarter or stern. Currently the hull number for your boat is generally found in the 6th, 7th, and 8th digits of your HIN (there was a different protocol previously, I forget the exact year of the change but I think it was early 80s).

E.g. With HIN "CYA42273D889" the hull # would be "273".
Old 11-27-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
The HIN (Hull Identification Number) is the equivalent of the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on a car. Since 1972(?) they have been required to be molded into the fiberglass on the upper outer rear transom on glass boats, or permanently affixed on a plate on others.

The "Hull Number" is not necessarily the HIN. It should appear as a part of it, the same way that the engine serial/production number is in a car's VIN. ANd it should appear on the boat's registration and title papers, the same way. But when a boatbuilder says "Hull number twelve" it just means the twelfth boat built in that series.

See http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm for details.
Old 11-27-2007

Wow, that was fast, thanks for the insight. So if I got this correct, with an identification number of FLZ1604000380 would the hull number be 040, or the 40th Hull for that model and year?
Old 11-27-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBJR View Post
Wow, that was fast, thanks for the insight. So if I got this correct, with an identification number of FLZ1604000380 would the hull number be 040, or the 40th Hull for that model and year?
I recalled reading somewhere that the prefix FLZ is used in Florida to designate a homemade boat. After a quick search I found David Pasco's website, with the following passage:
Quote:
Many states have a provision in their titling law that allows for the reassignment of a hull and registration number. This is called the "homemade boat" provision which provides the opportunity for a great deal of mischief. Let's say, for example, that I acquired a 1976, 29' Seabird hull and completely rebuilt it with new deck, interior and engines, etc. I could apply for a new title under the homemade boat provision and be assigned an entirely new hull number and title. In Florida, the new number assigned would have an FLZ prefix that indicates a homemade boat. The problem here is that stolen boat artists can do the same thing with any stolen boat. Therefore, any boat with an FLZ prefix should be viewed with great caution.
This certainly doesn't prove anything about the history of your boat, but it is interesting to note.
Old 11-27-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Thanks TB; I'm always learning something from this site.
Old 11-27-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
The way I reaed it:
FLZ1604000380
means:
FLZ (manufacturer) 160400 (hull number) 0380 (production date)
Assuming I'm misreading that and it should be:
FLZ (manufacturer) 16(model) 0400 (hull number) 0380 (production date)

that would still mean hull number 400, not 40. And a Sabre with an FLZ number would possibly indicate someone reclaimed a junked hull and "remanufactured" it?

Best to call your local DMV and ask them about the exact HIN you are looking at. In some states the length of HINs changed several year ago, making things more complicated. My friend tried to change his registration to reflect buying out a partner and correcting some errors--and the DMV refused to take the HIN that was on the title and registration, insisting the number had to be padded out one longer and he had to bring in a tracing of the one on the boat.
Old 11-27-2007

Well this is turning out to be quite the mystery, after my reply I realized the problem with FLZ designation as being a Florida Homemade boat. With my interest peaked I went down to the dock to see if I could find the actual number on the boat rather then on the title. I searched the transom as indicated on the website that hellosailor listed, but no luck. I did however find a number glassed into the hull under the starboard settee. The number, in large letters is NO579808 NET5 I am going to send it to Sabre and see if they can help me. I do know that the boat has been in Florida for quite some time, a friend at the yacht club recognized it as owned by an old friend of his who sold it to the guy I bought it from last year. It fits the description of a Sabre 28 MK2 with the full galley option, but it has a Westerbeke 10 TWO diesel which I was told was added in 98. See what a simple question on Sailnet can uncover. The Plot Thickens!!

JLBJR
Old 11-27-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
JLBJR,

That number is not the HIN. It is the Federal Documentation number, issued by the Coast Guard.
Old 11-27-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Here's the USCG Vessel Documentation website. I entered NO579808 NET5 but there're too many digits. NO579808 came up empty as well. Once the initial fee is paid, annual renewal is free, but of course if the renewal form is not sent in, I believe the vessel is dropped from the list.

I wonder if the CG shares expired information.