Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I would never rest easily away from my boat if it was on a mooring. Having shore power and the countless advantages of a full facility marina slip, is well worth the premium.

Too many cases are reported each season, of boats sinking due to a failed hull penetration.
Old 11-29-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I agree TB. I was initially very timid about keeping the boat on a mooring. Luckily, my boat has zero through-hulls below the waterline. In fact, the only through hulls at all are for cockpit drains and the bilge pump I installed, which is obviously above the waterline. I do get a bit of rainwater in the bilge through a few pesky deck/cockpit leaks, but it's not enough to make me worry about the boat sinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
We were on a Mooring for over 25 Years in Monroe Harbor.
The boat is very safe on a mooring in my opinion.
The drawbacks are
a) Its not convenient coming and going (and we had a tender service).
By yourself or with just your wife, no problem. Sailing while entertaining guest can be a bit of a pain. We would always drop everybody off on shore, ride the tender out, and prepare the boat for sailing, than motor back to the dock to pick everybody up. Depending on how busy it was in the harbor, this process could take up to an hour. Than we would repeat the process when landing. Like I said, not very convenient.
b) Bigger drawback, No Shore Power and No Water. Now my batteries are always nice and fresh and I can wash the boat whenever we want to.
c) The other guy....... A guy who wanted to sail onto his can holed us just under the hull deck joint. We were a near miss a couple of times by boats that brook free.

On the plus side,
I always found it easier to moor the boat. Single handed or short handed is much simplier from a mooring. Once you get on board it is much easier to make way. On my slip I have eight dock lines, on the can you have two bowlines on your forward cleats. It’s a piece of cake. Just watch your chafe and you should be fine. Our mooring was part of a harbor system so that everything from the can to the bottom was maintained by the harbormaster. On the can there is nothing for the boat to touch or bump, except for the can itself which can be a problem in light air.
It is not a bad way to go in my opinion..

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 11-29-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-29-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I was on a mooring last year (because my new boat was on my dock). We ended up sailing just as much off the mooring. If I needed to put stuff on the boat, or get stuff off, I either rafted up to my new boat (I am lucky to have a slip at the end of a finger), or I went to the sea wall of the club, or, if it was the middle of the day, the pump out dock. I did my loading/tasks/whatever, and went back to the mooring or out.

Sailing or motoring off the mooring is actually quicker than a dock, because of the fewer lines, no shore power, etc. I used my Zodiac or the tender service to get on and off. No problems.

It was certainly quieter on the mooring, and I liked that part a great deal.
Old 11-29-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
For years I had my 22' starwind on a mooring in Noank CT CT I even weathered hurricane Gloria in the mid 80's on the mooring. Only damage was a big catamaran broke loose and my bow pulpit holed one of the cats hulls.
Moorings are perfectly fine. Tell your Friend to contact Thames Yacht club in New London. He can join the club and then see about getting a mooring there. They may have a wait list but I'm sure it's not to long. Very cost effective.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 11-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That's not damage, that's a pre-emptive strike against a boat that wasn't properly secured and blew down on yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezzin View Post
For years I had my 22' starwind on a mooring in Noank CT CT I even weathered hurricane Gloria in the mid 80's on the mooring. Only damage was a big catamaran broke loose and my bow pulpit holed one of the cats hulls.
Moorings are perfectly fine. Tell your Friend to contact Thames Yacht club in New London. He can join the club and then see about getting a mooring there. They may have a wait list but I'm sure it's not to long. Very cost effective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-29-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
As was said: You need to find a place to keep your boat before you buy it.
And here in Louisiana yacht moorings are few and far between. But there are many wharves that handle the commerical work boats. Damn few pump out stations. And that does create a problem down here. The law demands that we have holding tanks and whatnot. But the shoreside facilities (in this area) have done very little to provide the pumpout stations, and you can only use the dumpsters if you are contracted (as a work boat) with the leasees of that wharf.
So still looking for a berth for my furture boat.
Old 02-03-2008

mooringmanct is on a distinguished road
Smile Moorings inthe CT. river

Hello, I can help you with a mooring in the CT. river by North Cove in Old Saybrook . You have to get a town permit for a mooring in Old Saybrook waters.
Go to the Old Saybrook town hall and fill out the permit for the CT. river its $53.00 . Then i can help you with a mooring rental or if you would like to have your own mooring setup i can place it and pull it for you . Mitchell Moorings . If you are interested espond to this message thank you
Old 02-04-2008

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
Thank heavens I live in Maine. $140 per year for the mooring. The prices down by N.Y. seem to be driving the blue collar folks right out of the water.