Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Overboard: Laura Gainey's Death and the Picton Castle

The Picton Castle is a former trawler converted to a three-masted sail training "adventure" ship. It is registered in the Cook Islands, but its home port is in Nova Scotia.

This documentary:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/overboard/video.html

made me very angry. I hope the "captain" loses his ship over his heinous disregard for crew safety.

The parts where the skipper from better-run sail training ships remarks that he "would be fired for this' when reviewing video of deck operations on the Picton Castle is quite illuminating.

I believe the crewperson who was unnecessarily (in my opinion) drowned in this incident was the same young woman who sold me an oil lantern when my son and I toured the ship last year.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Val,
Christ, what a sad story. The thought I had as the story went on was of the specious "Crew Wanted" postings on this forum, CaptainKris and that TJK fellow in particular. The situation aboard the Picton Castle was similar to Kris's post in that you have a ship being overhauled by inexperienced crew on a vessel captained by someone you can imagine having appalling judgment. God, the arrogance of the skipper on the Picton Castle was just overhwelming in that video tape. You can smell in coming through the computer monitor. I think this shows that crewing on just any boat makes for a lottery kind of situation. If you win, then everything's wonderful. If not, you might very well die. I have two daughters, and seeing something like this makes me ache.
Sailhog
Old 11-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Damn shame that they wouldn't take even the most basic precautions. I think the captain deserves to get his head handed to him on a stick. It is a pretty sad thing to see that my little 28' sailboat has better safety gear than the Picton Castle did on that cruise. If the Picton Castle is supposed to be a sail training ship, shouldn't she be properly equipped and teach the sailor-trainees on her how to use safety gear properly???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 11-30-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
That boat had a bad name, even when I was crewing.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 11-30-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Sickening!!!

I made my kids watch it to show them what sort of vessel NEVER to sign aboard.

Valiente, thank you for calling this to our attention. I only wish you had titled this thread "BOYCOTT Picton Castle" so that unsuspecting future recruits would come across it in their web searches and pause to consider before joining a voyage. Clearly there are better choices out there, such as the British-flagged vessel with the Irish captain that also appeared in the video.
Old 11-30-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Wow. What an amazing and sickening story. It would be interesting to ask a few of the people who sailed on her for that reality show what the safety precautions were at that time. I'll bet they hadn't changed even after just loosing a crew member overboard.
Old 11-30-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for posting this, Val. I missed it when it aired.

Sad story for sure... arrogance, bad practice and the chase of the almighty buck at the root of it all.

Really goes to show how risky signing on to an unknown situation can be. I've known people who walked into similar disasters-in-the-making, but luckily they were savvy enough to walk away before it was too late.

Our absent friend "Kacper" had a similar experience not too long ago... and was able to see the wrongs and walk away.
Old 11-30-2007

Hawkwind is on a distinguished road
No life jackets, no safety harness. That one girl was even told she couldn't use a safety harness, after she had requested one. In my experience, many people resist putting on life jackets because they don't want to look wimpy. That's why the captain has to make it an order, especially with younger adults.

The cover up was especially disgusting. How can people lie while being presented evidence that exposes the lie?
Those grand fresh-water seas of ours - Erie, and Ontario, and Huron, and Superior, and Michigan, - possess an ocean-like expansiveness...They contain round archipelagoes of romantic isles...they have heard the fleet thunderings of naval victories...they know what shipwrecks are, for out of sight of land, however inland, they have drowned full many a midnight ship with all its shrieking crew. --from Moby Dick
Old 11-30-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Does anyone know why the Piton Castle's hull was painted black during the Newport RI Tall Ships Event this past summer?

Here's a photo I took . . .

Old 11-30-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Stern view . . .