Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007

mutape is on a distinguished road
Howdy

I've been enjoying the threads here for a bit and wanted to finally say hello. There is so much good information here that I'm always finding something fun to read, and barring that I've found there's usually a bit of drama lurking here and there to entertain me and help me waste my time, so it seems a great place to hang out. I hope this is an ok forum to post an introduction.

Hubby and I (and the little guy - just turned 8 months old) are planning on buying our first sailboat in the next year or two and moving our little family aboard. Safety will be a big concern of mine with children aboard, but I feel that we can take precautions and make our living environment one that is safe enough for the little ones; and besides, I want to teach my son to enjoy life to the fullest, not to fear it.

We are definitely going to be purchasing a cat, likely a gemini but not necessarily nailed down to that just yet. We feel the stability of a cat is a necessity with young children who are still learning to walk. And we like all of the space! Yes, I know finding a slip in SW Florida for a cat is going to be amazingly fun, but, we'll deal with it.

Hubby has sailed a very tiny bit and while I have been on boats I have not sailed myself, so we have a lot to learn in the next year. We plan on getting as much experience under our belts as possible; when little children are going to be aboard, you have no alternative but to be a competent sailor. Hubby is still going to be working for now, so we won't be doing tons of extensive cruising except when vacations roll around, but we're ok with that. We will take what we can get, when we can get it. We are both madly in love with the water; right now we live about a quarter of a mile from the beach in Venice, FL and we go out to watch the ocean and the boats as often as we can.

When the opportunity rolls around, we will cruise the Florida coast and the Eastern Seaboard, and hopefully take a few trips down to the Bahamas. We do not intend any long passages until the children are older and we are well seasoned.

We are very excited about this change on our horizon; we have both learned to live fairly minimally in the past and don't "need" a ton of things, so we think we'll be well suited for living aboard. Our goal is to be able to take off for extended cruising as soon as possible, although we realize that will be several years down the road; time for the kids to grow up just a bit and for us to get our finances in an order that will support our taking off of work and heading out. In the meantime we will live on our boat and learn everything we can and sail whenever we can and hopefully equip ourselves with knowledge and skill and enjoy each moment as it comes to us.

Sorry for the long post! Just wanted to say hi
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Welcome aboard, there is a lot of information on sailnet and many helpful and knowledgeable people here.

PS if a Portuguese guy ask you to post photos of you and your family don't do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 12-01-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We are definitely going to be purchasing a cat, likely a gemini but not necessarily nailed down to that just yet. We feel the stability of a cat is a necessity with young children who are still learning to walk.
Just thought, but this could be an expensive and uneccessary reason to consider a cat as your first boat. The kids should be walking within, what? 26 months or so? Trust me, they'll learn just as quick on a mono. If not more so.

As I said, just a thought. Welcome aboard........

Rick
Old 12-01-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Welcome Mutape and sounds like you have your mind set on a cat . . . but I won't hold that against you. (g)

Best wishes though with your first sailboat, which surely won't be your last.
Old 12-01-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Welcome aboard Mutape and glad to have you on the site. You'll find a lot of people here more than willing to share a vast wealth of experience.
Old 12-01-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I don't know why anyone would go out and purchase a cat, why just today, I saw a sign saying "free Kittens".
Old 12-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welcome... and if you have any multihull questions, I'd be happy to help. many of the sailors here tend to have a bit of a problem with boats that don't require you to hold your drink through the entire meal.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-02-2007

mutape is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Welcome... and if you have any multihull questions, I'd be happy to help. many of the sailors here tend to have a bit of a problem with boats that don't require you to hold your drink through the entire meal.
I've noticed that!

I'm quite certain I will have questions as we narrow our search down during the course of the next year. Right now we are really leaning toward something on the smaller end so that we don't stretch our budget too badly and so that we can settle into this new lifestyle without the headache of too much boat to handle or buying something out of our price range.

Thanks all for the welcome! TB :P I already knew you would say that!

denby LOL! I've seen the photoshops. Scary stuff I will have to post a pic of us eventually, but lemme just say, I'm pretty handy with photoshop myself

Rick - you think? I just picture the poor kidlets sliding all about the deck as the boat tips from side to side; of course, my inexperience lends to my overactive imagination, I'm sure. My son will definitely be a fair walker by the time we purchase our boat; but we will (hopefully) have another child who will only be a few months old at the time and it seems like a daunting place to learn to walk. I do also like the space a cat offers, as well as the unsinkability (yes, I think I made that word up) factor. I'd rather be upside down than on the bottom of the ocean.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome! I really enjoy this place quite a lot already, and look forward to participating. My name is Mary Beth (MB) btw, just in case you didn't want to call me Mutape - which is a nickname we call our son, AND it manages to make fun of my mother-in-law, all at the same time!
Old 12-02-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutape View Post
....................................denby LOL! I've seen the photoshops. Scary stuff I will have to post a pic of us eventually, but lemme just say, I'm pretty handy with photoshop myself
Welcome MB..... you'll fit right in with the photoshop madness!

Old 12-02-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Well MB, if we cannot be a-sailing then administering a beating about the head and shoulders of mother-in-laws not present is certainly a worthy diversion. I prefer a 32oz bat myself. (g)

While I do not find myself drawn to cats or tri's, there is a certain attraction in them to the anti-heeling crowd. And I see you have been paying attention as evidenced by your acknowledgement of their inverted stability. Such attention will no doubt have drawn you to the "what boat is this?" thread which promises to be one of the best ever on sailnet, with lots of interesting boats of unusual design and availability. I expect that you'll be like most of us and soon have trouble deciding what your ideal boat really is. One could have worse problems.

On the subject of children afloat I would encourage you to contact our Portagee. While the rumour of his sons' being born on his boat appears to be hyperbole, it's hardly doubted that the first stop on the way home from the maternity ward was the port of Cascais. Our Giu, among others, would be a wealth of information on the subject. Valiente and CruisingDad would also be good resources, with the latter being an unparalleled expert on port operations. For my own part, if you launch your plans as laid out above, i doubt that heeling or any other over-accomodation for little ones will be too much of an issue. Ducks to water, and all that.

Welcome on board.