Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Start the college fund now. Then go to Yachtworlddotcom. I'll bring the rum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
A while ago we were discussing the differences between Europe and the US.

I don't have to worry with my kids education...its free, all the way to end of the University.

All I have to do is keep them alive, with good grades and wake them up every morning so they don't miss school.
Old 12-02-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
You lucky dog! That's why Europeans can afford such nice boats. That and the $ sucks.
Old 12-02-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
College can be free here too if you know how to work the system. I told my daughter the other day "If you don't get a scholarship I hope the Army's good to ya".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 12-02-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Giu,
With most US "average" colleges, not ivy-league mind you, $50,000-$80,000 per kid is common for a 4 year degree. We put two through college, our daughter wasting much of daddy's money in the first four years to have fun - she continued in and out for years and is changing curriculums again. Daddy is not pleased.

At a point, Daddy has no choice but to cut them off - or retirement plans need some major adjustment. My son's decided to go back for his masters - he's taking out a loan.
Old 12-02-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Giu,
With most US "average" colleges, not ivy-league mind you, $50,000-$80,000 per kid is common for a 4 year degree. We put two through college, our daughter wasting much of daddy's money in the first four years to have fun - she continued in and out for years and is changing curriculums again. Daddy is not pleased.

At a point, Daddy has no choice but to cut them off - or retirement plans need some major adjustment. My son's decided to go back for his masters - he's taking out a loan.
Good Lord...that is legalized robbery...to have to pay for education, that will make your Country grow, is ridiculous.

I knew you had to pay, but thought it was $20.000 only.

by the way..here it works like this...

its free as long as you attend (no absentism, less than 6 classes missed per trimester, per subject), or you're out because you are taking the space of another student.

Its free as long as you have good grades, you keep flanking...game over...get Daddy to pay a private university, whose degree is **** and only if there are no more Public Univeristy applicants for a job they go for the private universities.

Like Doctors and Hospitals. The good ones are in the public hospitals, the bad one go private, unless you are really really good.

Well, its not exactly free, it comes of my taxes, but even if I don't work and pay taxes the kids get free education.

My sons are in private Chatolic schools, that are run like public, but entry is only by appointment, exam and special application, and grades have to be above 70% to stay in the school. Its the best school in the country, its owned by the Vatican. It only costs me 2000 Euros a year, that I get back from the governement each year when I do my taxes.
Old 12-02-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
$20,000 at a State University, with scholarships and perhaps some student aid. But that's not quite enough without outside support.

Middle income Americans get hit the hardest - no financial aid available.
Old 12-02-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Sounds nice T. You can practice with me if you like. My son will be 18 in 2018 and I will be retiring. College will have been saved for and he will be on his own. At that time I plan on taking off on my boat to end all boats, the final final. (In the meantime, I plan on sailing small cheap boats until they sink and then buy another, until it sinks, etc). I like your plan, as it is the same as mine.

Edit - As retclt says, there are ways to get into college. You may never be able to save for the entire four or five years you will need. The more money you have, the harder it will be to get a loan to help you. But then you are stuck paying off the loan later in life. I am planning on putting as much as I can into a 529 that my parents started. My son can make up the rest with loans or work. There is only so much you can do. I paid for a lot of my education after my parents donation ran out.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 12-02-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
My personal belief is that college expenses should be borne as much as possible by the student. I have this quaint notion that when they are spending their own money they tend to extract maximum value from it. I learned this through my household's subsidized clothing program, wherein I seemed to be continually buying jeans at full retail that appeared to my uneducated eye either in need of serious mending or disposal. That being said, I am currently funding the unmet obligations my daughter has to our local institute of higher learning. In just over a year, we've weathered two potential drop-outs, three changes in end goal, and a marriage proposal. This experience is not for the faint hearted and I strongly advise not doing it entirely on one's own dime. My wife, for instance, paid for her entire collegiate education her own self, not counting my assistance in paying off her loans, which were substantial. She had no parental help. As you can see, my attitude is somewhere in between the two poles.

I think TSteele has probably just the right attitude. And it's not kid's college alone that can intrude on one's financial planning. Life takes some turns for most of us. (see, marriage proposal above) That he has the house with substantial equity is all too the good. I would suspect that paying it off and concentrating on better investments would position you to not only handle a good portion of the kiddo's college, but also pull the trigger on the cruising boat sooner as well. Frugality and wise investing will be the key to both.

Best of luck!
Old 12-02-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Giu, I attended Chatolic Schools too. Where I grew up, the public schools were not that good. To stay out of the public system, during high school, I would work as much as I could all summer to pay tuition. Sometimes, I really do not know how I did it.

Now, after all these years the balance on my school loans are in the expensive car loan range versus house mortgage!

Giu, tell Fred to attend school everyday and to keep his grades up!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.