Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
50 MPH winds, slip or on the hard?

I'm just curious. It's blowing like stink on the upper bay with gust to 50 mph. I'm still in the water, safely in my slip with double dock lines. Not worried. Coming out tomorrow. Most boats in my marina are up on jack stands. Genearlly speaking, where is it safer, blown around in the slip or maybe blow off the jack stands. Is that even credible with these conditions, assuming your cover isn't tied to the stands.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
No matter how well you secure your on-the-hard boat, the greatest risk during high winds, is getting broadsided by your neighbor's wind-toppled boat. Personally, under those conditions I'm always more confident in the water.
Old 12-03-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
The vast majority of Great Lakes boats get pulled. I just drove thru a big marina yesterday. The sailboats were lined up along the shoreline exposed to the open water & thus the wind. Masts up. They've been doing this for years and I do not recall hearing of a domino farm. Done properly, jackstands work pretty well.
Poorly done is a different matter but then poorly tied to the dock ain't any better.
Old 12-03-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
My "guess" is in the water, since there will be less surface area exposed. It also seems to me that the higher you are from the ground, the stronger the winds. Of course, if the marina you are at does not have strong pilings/docks, then you are screwed.

However, falling off the stands can be very serious. It puts serious stress on a hull which might not be immediately apparent.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-03-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I dunno.. but at my YC there are three C30s on the exposed bank of the river on 6t wide cradles. The owners all told me I worry too much about boats that aren't mine. But you should see them babies shuddering in the wind today! It's blowing up the river like a freight train! Mine is back near a retaining wall and under some tall trees that are in the upper yard of the YC and seems ok. Shannon I think your safer in da water!

my current "project"!
Old 12-03-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
It must be windier up at the north end of the Bay. Thomas Point Light ( http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=tplm2 ) hasn't broken 40 knots yet. Looks like pressure is on the rise after bottoming out this morning at 29.61 in.

We're still hanging on our mooring, which is my preference for high winds. That is, as long as the seiche doesn't leave us in the mud, with shallower draft boats still swinging into us!
Old 12-03-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Hove to, with a lot of sea room ................

Or on the hard, inside ..............

Or in a slip, with Gibraltar Solid pilings .......

Or on the hard, 100 ft from the next boat .............

Either way, you pays your dime and you takes your chances. Best we can do is the best we can do.......
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 12-03-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I am hauled at my club on a cradle with the mast down. I am at the east end of a row with the only sailboat heavier than me (a Tayana 45) immediately to the west. It screens the wind from the prevailing direction somewhat.

I hauled elsewhere last year with the mast up and also at the east end of a row of mostly smaller boats and a couple of large stinkpotters. When aboard, I could feel the stronger winds vibrating the whole structure. I think failing to dismast in blizzard areas is a false economy now, even though I personally incurred no damage.

Others did: This was during an 80 knot gust:

Due to both insurance regulations and (primarily) the potential for ice damage, we can't stay in the water here in many spots. Some places have ice barriers and bubblers, but we are exposed to westerly gales and waves. We actually dissemble part of the dock system to protect it, and to avoid what happened at another club:

Old 12-03-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
looks like the only boats that fell had the masts removed - for whatever that proves...
Old 12-03-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Mine's in the water and has seen sustained to 60 and gusts of 80 without damage. The system moving in today has prompted hurricane wind warnings on the coast. This in the PNW.