Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hartley-

Buzzards Bay throws us a lot of days with 18-25 knots with gusts up to 30-35. That's normally a Small Craft Warning day...and the kind of weather I love to sail in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2007
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Back on topic..

I plan to cleat the reefing lines on the boom up near the mast (there's no room on the cabin top to run them aft).

What sort of cleats should I use on an 18' boat? V-jam, cam-cleats or just ordinary ones??

Thanks in advance
Old 12-05-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Back on topic..

I plan to cleat the reefing lines on the boom up near the mast (there's no room on the cabin top to run them aft).

What sort of cleats should I use on an 18' boat? V-jam, cam-cleats or just ordinary ones??

Thanks in advance
Anything BUT V-jam.. esp the plastic ones. One slip under load and they won't hold again. Camcleats with a fairlead to keep the line there should work and may be more compact than an ordinary horn cleat (which might snag a flogging sheet)

That's a pretty small section on your boom so mounting lots of hardware is going to be a challenge.

btw- saw the pic of your boat on another thread - nice!

Last edited by Faster; 12-05-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The only thing with cam cleats is that you'll probably want a fairlead just in front of and just after the cam cleat to help keep the line from shaking free.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-05-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Unless there is an eye for the bitter end on one side of the boom and the cheekblock on the other, the problem with cheek blocks is that it tries to twist the boom when you reef and so puts a lot of strain on the gooseneck or else rotates the boom so the load is taken off axis.
Old 12-05-2007
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Anything BUT V-jam.. esp the plastic ones. One slip under load and they won't hold again. Camcleats with a fairlead to keep the line there should work and may be more compact than an ordinary horn cleat (which might snag a flogging sheet)

That's a pretty small section on your boom so mounting lots of hardware is going to be a challenge.

btw- saw the pic of your boat on another thread - nice!
Thanks, Ron & SD - Camcleats it is then.

Yes, mounting will be a challenge. Any suggestions for mounting camcleats on such a thin section of aluminium? I can't really bolt it through.. Are the normal plastic cam-cleats okay for this service??

The current set-up uses a horn cleat on the bottom of the boom, which snags lines all the time. I was considering metal v-jams only because two rivets and it's mounted.

Are reefing lines on a boom likely to flog much? Must admit I've never noticed!.
Old 12-05-2007
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Unless there is an eye for the bitter end on one side of the boom and the cheekblock on the other, the problem with cheek blocks is that it tries to twist the boom when you reef and so puts a lot of strain on the gooseneck or else rotates the boom so the load is taken off axis.
Jeff, thanks for the warning.

I'm going to try to mount the cheekblocks as high as I can on the boom to keep the tail as close to the sail as possible. The main is now loose-footed (it's great - I don't know why I waited so long!) so I tie the line around the boom with a bowline.
Old 12-05-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Thanks, Ron & SD - Camcleats it is then.

Yes, mounting will be a challenge. Any suggestions for mounting camcleats on such a thin section of aluminium? I can't really bolt it through.. Are the normal plastic cam-cleats okay for this service??

The current set-up uses a horn cleat on the bottom of the boom, which snags lines all the time. I was considering metal v-jams only because two rivets and it's mounted.

Are reefing lines on a boom likely to flog much? Must admit I've never noticed!.
hey Cam

you may find that making small saddle (starboard, or a block of wood or nylon) curved to fit your boom shape, with the camcleat mounted on that is the cleanest way to do it. Often when you try to tighten a camcleat on an uneven surface you can put enough stress on it that the cams don't move freely anymore.

If you put a fairlead behind the cleat make you you leave enough space to get in there and lift the line to release it.

Your external clew reef lines will flap around a bit if the sail is luffing, but when powered up they should be fine. Leave just enough slack to the stopper knot so that when the sail is up there's not a lot of free line to hang down, and it will be easy to make some velcro straps to keep the line alongside the boom since you're loosefooted.
Old 12-05-2007
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
hey Cam

you may find that making small saddle (starboard, or a block of wood or nylon) curved to fit your boom shape, with the camcleat mounted on that is the cleanest way to do it. Often when you try to tighten a camcleat on an uneven surface you can put enough stress on it that the cams don't move freely anymore.

If you put a fairlead behind the cleat make you you leave enough space to get in there and lift the line to release it.

Your external clew reef lines will flap around a bit if the sail is luffing, but when powered up they should be fine. Leave just enough slack to the stopper knot so that when the sail is up there's not a lot of free line to hang down, and it will be easy to make some velcro straps to keep the line alongside the boom since you're loosefooted.
Thanks, Ron - you've nailed it!

Hadn't even considered velcro straps around the boom (and neither has Giu by the look of it!).

I'll give it a try...
Old 12-06-2007
Telstar 28

Faster's point about making a mounting block for the cam cleat is a very good one.. you want the cam cleat's base to be as flat as possible so the cams don't jam under load.

Telstar 28
New England