Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
2 stroke motors illegal?

I was following up on the porta bote thread by contacting them with some questions.
An unsolicited comment from portabote was this:

"We're getting reports from owners with 2 cycle outboards that, suddenly they're getting ticketed. It's now illegal in all States to use a 2 cycle outboard under 18 hp. Good luck."

2 strokes under 18hp are illegal to USE in all states??
This came along with a sales pitch for their 6hp 4 stroke.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd imagine that legislation is probably in the works to make two-stroke outboards illegal, but I don't believe that they are currently illegal for USE in most states... There are just too many of them out there ATM for that to happen any time soon.

They are probably fairly difficult to find for sale NEW, and there are probably some serious restrictions on the sale of new two-stroke outboards, as a precursor to banning the noisy, stinky, nasty engines.

I do know that some protected waters, like in some parks or nature reservations, the use of a two-stroke outboard is illegal, but don't know of any states, outside of possibly California, with its draconian (in a good sort of way) emissions standards, that have banned them completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-04-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Alas, I will miss the two-stroke. It even smells good....
Old 12-04-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
"We're getting reports from owners with 2 cycle outboards that, suddenly they're getting ticketed. It's now illegal in all States to use a 2 cycle outboard under 18 hp. Good luck."
That's absurd and completely false. In my mind, statements like that undermine the credibility of Portaboat's approach to marketing - making me question their honesty and/or competence.

After 10 years of faithful service, our tender's little 2-stroke just refuses to give any reason for replacement. Aside from California and some inland waterways, I don't think 2 strokes will be banned along coastal areas of the Atlantic anytime soon.
Old 12-04-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
In my mind, statements like that undermine the credibility of Portaboat's approach to marketing - making me question their honesty and/or competence.

Exactly. I was thinking they hired conky joe as their marketing guru
Old 12-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL.... good one Xort
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
In my mind, statements like that undermine the credibility of Portaboat's approach to marketing - making me question their honesty and/or competence.

Exactly. I was thinking they hired conky joe as their marketing guru

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-04-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
In the EU, the retail sale of new 2 stroke outboards is now illegal. Old ones can be used until they fall apart and the private sale of second hand machines is still allowed.

There was quite a rush on, buying up the remaining 2 stroke stock, since stored well they last forever and weigh less and were cheaper than their 4 stroke brothers.

However, the outboard manufacturers, I read, have released a series of new 4 stroke designs that now look better buys.
Old 12-04-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The states are becoming as EU is mentioned by idiens. It is in many place, A for one, hard or impossible to buy 2 stroke motors motors in anything. that includes outboards, yard equipment etc. Due to more stringent pollution requirements.

I have a couple of Honda 4 stroke weedeaters, Frankly, I prefer them over the high reving 2 strokes I have used in over the last 25+ yrs in the landscape maintenance biz. On the other hand, the fellows from Mexico that work for me, do not like them, as they do not rev high enough in their minds!

Marty
Old 12-04-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I do not believe 2 strokes have actually been outlawed in the USA. (Except in local spots as noted above).The pollution standards have been tightened on new motor manufacturing...effectively banning most 2 stroke manufacturing. But I have heard of some new 2 stroke design technology that actually makes them clean enough to meet regs. Will do some research as this is all from memory.

EDIT...apparently I do not yet have Alzheimer's! Here's the statement from California...
Several two-stroke direct injection engines have been available on the market. These engines offer consumers improved fuel economy, lower oil consumption, and improved idle performance while significantly reducing pollution and maintaining the performance characteristics of traditional two-strokes.
Two strokes are not banned even in California...here's the link:
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Environmental/...oke/TSFAQ.aspx

The Evinrude E-tec line of 2 stroke engines apparently complies with all worldwide standards presently enacted.
http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Media....6.02.16_02.htm
But they are much higher horsepower than we use for our dinghy's. Perhaps Macgregor owners will be interested!
Old 12-04-2007

SVCetacea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
2 strokes under 18hp are illegal to USE in all states??
This came along with a sales pitch for their 6hp 4 stroke.
Sounds like salesman FUD to me.
Very unlikely to have existing equipment outlawed.