Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I'm glad the boat has GFI plugs.

When the previous PO's did the restoration of Oh Joy, they completely rewired her. Nice job too, clean, concise and no old wires going nowhere. They also installed GFI plugs for the AC. Another thing was they had the entire stove/oven box, backsplash and overhead done in stainless in the galley area. The reason I'm so glad is that I plugged in a thermostat controlled heater last Fri because it was getting down to 25F at night. This worked fine except one minor problem. This last storm blew so hard, it blew water into the exhaust dorade hard enough for it to travel laterally about 18" and drip out of that SS overhead onto this nice heater. So, I go to check the boat today, notice it was cold and the heater was off. I turned it on and nothing, no power. I reset the plug and it comes on. Two minutes later there's smoke coming from the base of the nice heater. I unplugged it and picked it up, noticing a nice pool of water under it on the SS. Needless to say, I left it unplugged and plugged the dehumidifier back in instead.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Nice to know that some things work as they should!
Old 12-06-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
good reason to not leave the boat plugged in when laid up. Our marina has a policy of pulling any plugs they see on unattended boats and we're all in favor of that policy since the boats are 6 inches apart.
GFI's are not intended to protect a circuit from overloading. When you consider it was the GFI and not the breaker which tripped, consider yourself very lucky since it sounds like the breaker failed to trip as it should have...
Old 12-06-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Oh Joy's still in the water.
Old 12-06-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
that will make the fire less likely to spread
Old 12-06-2007
On the hard

I think I would've ended up with a puddle of melted plastic on my SS counter instead of having the boat burn down, hope so anyway.
Old 12-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Any case, you lucked out... make a nice sacrifice of some single malt to the sea gods...and count your blessings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-07-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
In most cases, even at home, the GFI should trip BEFORE the circuit breaker. If the C goes before a GFI is when you have issues to worry about.

Any way,
Charlie, Even tho you bought Oh Joy for cheap, having her burn to waterline, would not have been fun. Glad things worked as they should.

Marty
Old 12-07-2007

rhaley is on a distinguished road
Just as a side note, a circuit breaker will trip when there is an over current situation, as in a short circuit that causes too much current to be drawn through the breaker. A GFCI breaker will trip when the current entering a device on the line conductor doesn't equal the current leaving a device on the neutral conductor, i.e. if you have a wet connection and some current is leaking into a puddle on a piece of stainless steel instead of returning to the source via the neutral conductor. A CB is meant to protect a circuits conductors from overheating due to too much current, a GFI is meant as protection from shock hazards. And both are excellent to have on a boat!

Last edited by rhaley; 12-07-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-07-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
At $10.00 a pop or so, GFIC's are the least expensive/best insurance policy available to man. DO NOT SKIMP ON THESE--EVER................