Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I'd love to take credit for this deep thought, but I read it some place else... If the Polynesians had discovered the "New World", would we all be sailing trimarans?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
I'd love to take credit for this deep thought, but I read it some place else... If the Polynesians had discovered the "New World", would we all be sailing trimarans?
Actually should be....I am really happy the Polynesians didn't discover the World...otherwise I had to be sailing in a tri....and everyone knows that's not a boat!!!!
Old 12-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You should name it DJ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
I have a teddy bear I want to name.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yup... no sailing records have ever been set in a trimaran...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Actually should be....I am really happy the Polynesians didn't discover the World...otherwise I had to be sailing in a tri....and everyone knows that's not a boat!!!!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-07-2007
Telstar 28

This line was in the ASA's Multihull Fundamentals book from about 10 years ago. I believe it was in the first chapter or the foreword.
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-07-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
If Polynesians DID discover the "New World", would we call Giu a HAOLE?
Old 12-07-2007
Telstar 28

I can think of a lot of things to call Giu, especially about his last anti-multihull comment...but none are fit to print outside fof the Off-Topic forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
If Polynesians DID discover the "New World", would we call Giu a HAOLE?

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-07-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Ah, now I get it. This thread is making so much more sense now that I'm four pages in. Crystal clear and philosophical indeed.

Old 12-07-2007
Telstar 28

If it is crystal clear and on sailnet... you're obviously reading it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Ah, now I get it. This thread is making so much more sense now that I'm four pages in. Crystal clear and philosophical indeed.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-07-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post

Plato had some of the interlocutors agree with Socrates's assertions during long passages in which Socrates is on a roll. Pages can go by where the only responses to Socrates are "Yes, Socrates," "How could it be otherwise, Socrates," "By the dog, Socrates, it is true" (whatever that means) and "Only a fool could doubt it, Socrates."

Philosophy deals with matters of interest to the general public, and loses much of its value if only a few can understand or is interested in what is said.

Can't tell ya how many times I've replied when asked my opinion with a " oh, absolutely I agree " ( 21st century version of " By the dog, it is true " ) to a conversation of no interest and therefore I had no desire to understand

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies