Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
While you're up, can you bring me a gin and tonic my good man?
Old 05-19-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
If
"I think and therefore I am" is true
Is
"I stink and therefore I vent" true?

No, because you see it could have been "I stink and there for I went".

It's hard to be philosphical when in fact all farts are funny. Nowhere, in all of recorded history has there been one non-funny fart. Did (diety of choice) include methane gas production in our biochemistry just to add humor to our lives? Probably not, because farts are not funny due ot olfactory considerations, they just sound funny. If you can accept the truth of all farts being funny then you have accepted that it doesn't matter if a fart is a squeeker or a 'birds took off from sound sleep at 200 yards" blast of gas. Giggling after a fart has nothing to do with the smell, you have, or will giggle long before the smell reachs your nose; and likely will cease giggling shortly thereafter.
In fact, multi-part, multi-tonal squeekers have (not personally tested) less of a methane component and likely less olfactory impact but often produce the more humorous responses. They are, if played in tune with Beetoven's 5th, even likely to produce a lip twitch on a Britsh royal guard's inmobile face.

I'm not telling ya'll how to think, or how to stink. I'm just saying...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I tried reading the long posts, really I did. But I kept falling asleep. There is a moral there someplace... But if those posts weren't immoral, illegal or fattening, then there is a sleep factor involved that has a negative exponential to the attention keeping of a true sailor.
So it is enjoy life, while you can. Life is to short to fret over the small stuff and almost everything is small stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 05-20-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
A British dude once told me, "You Americans are an odd lot. When you burp, you excuse yourselves. When you sneeze, everyone blesses you. And when you fart, you laugh like hell."

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 05-20-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Where the hell IS Hoffa? Did someone scare him off?
Old 05-20-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Where the hell IS Hoffa? Did someone scare him off?

I think Hoffa Lives elsewhere nowadays..

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 05-20-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Hoffa saw a picture of Jody...........need we say more!
Old 05-20-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Hoffa saw a picture of Jody...........need we say more!
Yep and its so fugly that even Giu can't touch it with photoshop (as a matter of fact I have it from good sources he tried and Adobe immediately revoked his photoshop license...and now that is the rest of the story of why Giu is on sabbatical)...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Last edited by artbyjody; 05-20-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2009

zAr is on a distinguished road
If you ask me, just because something is philosophical doesn't mean it's off-topic in a sailing forum.

First off, sailing is a lifestyle, replete with existential choices about life and the living of it. The sailing life, some say, is about freedom, others say it's the opposite - it's about imprisoning oneself in a floating jail cell. Then there's the obvious question - why do we do it and what does it mean to each of us? Is sailing about getting in touch with nature, or about getting in touch with ourselves, getting closer to who we are or running away from who we are, finding our limits or self-imposing limits?

Or if you want to get into ethics and morality, is there such a thing on the ocean or is it everyone for themselves? Technically, it may be lawless, but somehow or other a lot of us wind up practicing some unwritten code of ethics, we live by it and we have an unspoken expectation that others follow it too - and usually they do. Heck, sailsmanship is a kind of ethics - it's about the right and wrong way to do things, or perhaps it's more of an etiquette, like whether the fork goes on the left or right.

And the sailing lifestyle can be said to be a shared world-view, shared intersubjective experiences. We are a community that understands some things others do not. We share a love for something which other communities do not.

Or how about topics such whether boats are works of art, capable of moving the soul, of uplifting numinosity of spirit, lines and symbols of symmetry and perfection, or merely practical tools more or less like a hammer or screwdriver.

Or how about sailing as the art or science of bringing order to the high chaos of the ocean? Man against nature? Or man alongside with and at one with nature? Man tempting fate, tempting the odds. Tiny humanity against powerful nature.

I could go on and on.
Old 03-25-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
zAr - good point dude.

As far as I'm concerned...

Kierkegaard teed it up in 1835. Gabriel Marcel knocked it out of the park in 1943. And Sartre, Nietzsche, Heidegger, et al were just bummed out clowns. I don't think any of 'em sailed anyway....so scroom.

Back to my bong.