SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   philosopher's club, anyone? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/39074-philosophers-club-anyone.html)

HoffaLives 12-07-2007 12:46 PM

philosopher's club, anyone?

so there's been a sailors fight club. big deal. this is a chance for a thread that really separates the men from the boys. people get tiffed when morally/socially important stuff is brought up in mundane threads, so i thought it might be good for a thread to talk about the important issues without waking anyone up.

an example might be what it means to be a privileged cruiser in a third world country. or the death of someone at sea. gender roles and sailing.

what about it? seems to me we could use a little highbrow stuff for a change:p

brevity is the soul of wit, and since the point isn't to be witty but to talk intelligently, longer posts should be encouraged - have something to say and take the space you need to say it.:cool:

note that this post is a discussion of the thread not the thread itself. if there is interest, we should start a different thread, simply labeled philosopher's club. if that's too confusing you probably clicked on this link by mistake. :D

DJEVANS 12-07-2007 01:53 PM

Sounds interesting.

Freesail99 12-07-2007 02:02 PM

I don't think it has a place on this site. If I want to reach out and touch someone, I'll roll over or pick up the phone.

bsfree 12-07-2007 02:06 PM

I used to want to change the world. Now I'd just like to leave the room, with a little dignity.

TrueBlue 12-07-2007 02:15 PM

How many posts before this thread turns into a battle over differing political and religious beliefs? Should be in Off Topic Hoff . . . you think (therefore you are)?

AboardIndigo 12-07-2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue (Post 234179)
How many posts before this thread turns into a battle over differing political and religious beliefs?

This thread, or the proposed philosopher's club thread?

;)

DJEVANS 12-07-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue (Post 234179)
How many posts before this thread turns into a battle over differing political and religious beliefs? Should be in Off Topic Hoff . . . you think (therefore you are)?

You make a good point, TB--it does often seem to go that way here, doesn't it?

TrueBlue 12-07-2007 02:18 PM

Either, or . . . Indi.

AboardIndigo 12-07-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue (Post 234184)
Either, or . . . Indi.

Likely both. :)

To expect anything else is to be guilty of having unrealistic expectations.

Why do I suddenly feel like quoting Yoda?

:D

Freesail99 12-07-2007 02:21 PM

I have a teddy bear I want to name.