Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Washing clothes throughout a cruise

I was sitting in my boat, just pondering away about sailing trips last longer than a couple weeks or long enough for you to run out of clean clothes to wear. I thought to myself how would you wash clothes?

So I am asking everyone how do you wash clothes?

Wait till you get to a port with the facilities? How do you know you will run into one?
Wash them with salt water?
Or just wear the same pair of trousers and t-shirt throughout your cruise for good luck?

How does everyone wash their clothes?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Go Nekid' ;-}
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 12-11-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
About 1.5 years ago I bought the wonder clean for my boat. I have since sold the farm and I am living in an apartment. No washing machine. The wonder clean does a great job of cleaning cloths. Doesn't use a lot of water to wash, but I've found that it does take more water to rinse then they claim. Still, I have put very dirty jeans and a couple of golf shirts in it and they come out clean. Also ringing out the cloths when your done washing them, is a bit of a pain. The other downside on a boat is where to store it. I have a large cockpit locker, so it isn't a problem for me, but I could see how it could be a problem for others. All in all, one of the best $42.00 I've spent.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
A bucket with detergent, hand wash; another bucket with rinse water. If the shirt has a collar I might add a third bucket with fabric softener {which I also use for my lines}. Plus the most indispensible item aboard a sailboat - wooden clothespins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-11-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
amazing how quick clothes dry on a sail boat! The Life lines make great clotheslines too!

my current "project"!
Old 12-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, getting good synthetic clothes that dry quickly is a big help.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-11-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
About 1.5 years ago I bought the wonder clean for my boat. I have since sold the farm and I am living in an apartment. No washing machine. The wonder clean does a great job of cleaning cloths. Doesn't use a lot of water to wash, but I've found that it does take more water to rinse then they claim. Still, I have put very dirty jeans and a couple of golf shirts in it and they come out clean. Also ringing out the cloths when your done washing them, is a bit of a pain. The other downside on a boat is where to store it. I have a large cockpit locker, so it isn't a problem for me, but I could see how it could be a problem for others. All in all, one of the best $42.00 I've spent.
Nice reccomendation. What about putting that in the Product Review in the Gear and Maint section?

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-11-2007

SYMandalay is on a distinguished road
Wherever you go, the local people have the same needs you do and among other things, they wash their clothes. So there are laundromats, or perhaps a person who takes laundry in their house, etc. etc. Don't worry about it!
Old 12-12-2007

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
I have to disagree. This is pretty much true in the states, but not necessarily elsewhere.

Plus, there are convience and cost factors too. We are in Marsh Harbor, Abacos at one of the marinas. The marinas here do not have laundry facilities. The nearest public laundry facility is about 1/2 mile from any of the marinas and about 1/4 mile from the public dingy dock.

We checked out the prices, but have not used this laundry. It costs $4.00 per load to wash (not too bad), and 25 cents per minute (yes, I said minute) to dry. So, if I did three loads of clothes it would cost me $12.00 plus $30-$40 to dry. Pretty steep.

We are hand washing a few at a time and drying them on the lifelines.