Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
They trim more in that video than I do on an overnight sail.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie View Post
Great video,I am a new come'r here,,but I am amazed that none of the children are wearing any safety vests,,no matter how calm the sea is, or how experienced the skipper is,,there is always the danger there.
Tommie, thank you for the comment on the video, gald you enjoyed it, that was the purpose.

Also, thank you for the concern on child safety and for the remark on safety. We don't know each other, but rest assured, I am well aware of it.

However, without taking much of your time, allow me some comments in my defense.

First, and before I go to deep, let me in on our European regulations, that require our boats to be certified, inspected and require safety equipment, including harnesses to all crew members listed in the hull capacity, and I do have them, and went further, I have 6 more safety gear sets, appropriate for young "bastards" as the ones you see in the video, so they are fit and snug. Our regulations require us to have them on board, but leave it up to the skippers judgment to apply them to the crew. So it is my call as Captain in command of that boat to decide wether they should have them or not.

Second, I, and I alone decide on the use of safety gear, and I do that based under two hardcore rules I have guided my life at sea.

a) I am a strong believer in "teaching how to grow potatoes" rather than "giving potatoes", this means I instruct my kids, and those you see there have been at sea since they were born, (sea rats), all they need to know to survive. This is with the objective of empowering those with me, of having them judge and make the decision by themselves, kinda like a mother Wolf teaching the little cub to hunt instead of bringing him food. I teach and pass the burden of safety to them so they understand it, rather than me just telling them to put the safety vests on. This gives them knowledge and makes the issue of safety their responsability. So if conditions are unsafe, they will on their own, go down and suit up for conditions. If I see they are not doing it...I make them do it. After all they are my kids, I made them.

b) I don't go to sea if I can not master my vessel in a safe way. If conditions apply, I am the ruler, the master and the commander. my way or high way.
I am in control of my vessel at all times, and I am in full understanding of current conditions at all times. I DO NOT get caught in bad weather. I have sailed in bad weather, by choice.

Now, altough it is true what you say about PFD's I in that instance decided the PFD's were not needed. I was in control of the situation at all times, there were 4 good sailors, all capable of stoping the boat within 10 seconds, the winds were < 15 knots, and as you can see the seas are calm.

These kids sail in Cascais and Lisbon, every week at least 3 times, my sailing area is known for the sea conditions and wind forces, their behaviour in a boat is not what one could consider "normal". As you can see these kids can on their own fully operate a 42' racer at 9 knots boat speed, as they have demonstarted, and my vessel is not exactly what we would consider a "easy to sail" boat for a sailor with average skills. They also are accomplished swimers, that know the environment.

My boat is equiped with 2 retractable MOB floating devices, in the stern, with 200' of rope, and all on board would jump to the relatively warm waters of Portugal to assist a MOB, should it be needed. These kids swimm here 3 times a week, as they piss in the water, by exiting their little boats.

Both kids never leave the cockpit, (as you can see) and are both well bellow the boom. The only risk they are exposed, is me.

It is a given that above 17 knots all minors wear PFD's (see bellow photos), an never I had to tell tehm to put them on...they do it on their own.

They wear them on, every time I am the only adult on board, or if the remaining adults are not able to assist.

See bellow an example. I operate the boat alone..kid has vest on, wind was 20 knots.

Kid is instructed to own his PFD and knows about it, when he sails alone in his boat.

So basically altough I say you are 100% right, it boils down to the conditions, to who is doing what, who is in command, what the level of understanding and awarness is and what the boat is doing.

That day, I allowed them without vests. I am the captain, allways have ben.

A kid alone in command of the boat, in calm conditions, soince he is the captain, and I am doing something else, he has the pfd.

This one just does what I say, he can't even stop shiting his pants...

If I sail alone with only one kid..pfd on, I have one too, and am tethered. He is not.

BOAT RAT at work...

Old 12-12-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Alex, Bravo for a very good explanation of your safety philosophy; and for recognizing the new guys reasonable concern considering his likely lack of direct knowledge of "you and yours".

And those kids are amazing.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 12-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Giu-

I don't blame him...he's seen you sail...
Quote:
This one just does what I say, he can't even stop shiting his pants...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-12-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
So you have future Long John Silver and Blackbeard being trained aboard your boat. Arrrrr! Matey!!
Old 12-12-2007

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
Alex: Thanks for my morning smile. I was kind of hoping that Fred (or his friend) would drop the winch handle overboard though.
Old 12-12-2007
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
OK Alex, I have to express a woman and mother's opinion here. This is absolute child abuse in the worst form . First no sailing gloves. I noticed you have them but failed to provide them to cute little adorable slaves in your video. Poor little hands are all blistered and bleeding. I notice some of your sheets are red in your video. Second, boating attire. While you wear long pants, shirt with long sleeves those poor kids are dressed in shorts and short sleeves shirts and thin ones at that. Tisk tisk tisk, Shame on you. Kids have to run around and work hard just to stay warm while the Beast Master is dressed like a premadana. Thank God you at least don't make them wear orange pants! LOL No water or nourishment was seen anywhere in this video. Even Roman galley slaves where provide those. No wonder they look so skinny.
Now for the little one. He sees what is going on and sxxx himself saying to himself "What family did I get myself into"! God he is soo cute, I cannot stand myself. I just want shower him with kisses and hugs.
Old 12-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Melrna...

I love babies and kids too..

here some more...PS Fred likes hugs and kisses too...I kiss them all the time...eheheheheheheh

(PS, they do have gloves, and don't use them, they joke with me and call me sissy!!!, they are dressed in the school Physical Ed. suits, this was shot in late October, still very warm out).

Old 12-12-2007
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
Those little fella's rock out! Nice job with the kids, dude.

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 12-12-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Excellent video you crazy SOB..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.