Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Absolutely unbelievable story..check this out

The boat that shares the double slip with my boat is a Hanse 37 or 38. One of the nice ones with self tacking genoa.

It was bought 3 years ago and bought fully equiped. The owner is a wealthy Portuguese man that lives in one of the Portuguese islands, and bought it full options, inside and outside.

The boat was sailed 2 times, in the first weeks of the buying. Never out for painting or zinc changes or anything in 3 years. It just sits there. The blue has faded, the white deck turned to yellow and the teak is rotting. 3 years old!!

Anyway, the owner, has 3 kids, I would say about 24 to 28 YO, twins. Both are very weird, and seem consumed by heavy drugs, the type that has done some heavy chemicals that burnt their brains. Its sad.

They are both all painted with tattos, and one of them, the "worse" brain dead one, is painted like one of those warriors that do that dance in the rugby games..you know the put the tongue out and such....he has dark patches under the eyes and balls painted all over the face... he shaves his head too.

The kid comes every day to the boat and is allways doing something, he has no car and is seen many times riding a bicycle downtown. He dresses funny, sometimes a pink sock and a yellow one, allways in a T-shirt with some weird band logo, and wears a thin thong as underwear all the time, that can be seen when he rides the bicycle or kneels down to do something. He is very polite when he looks my way, and I allways say something like..hey sailor..he looks at me and very politely allways replies something like it was the first time he saw me, he sees me leave with the boat every day, and asks me often...do you sail alone??? sometimes he sees me returning, and 20 minutes later he asks me..did you go sailing?? He seems impressed I sail with my boat, and allways very polite. He treats me as Sir, or Mister...and then goes insode his boat..no talk, sometimes he says nothing...he is known in the marina as 2the carzy one"..

He is many hours a day in the boat and he talks to him slef alot...sometimes he shouts like there is someone there with him, and normally when he shouts and talks loudly, he is inside and says things like "ahh they are coming"..."they think I can't see them"..."leave me alone"...etc...

He also covered all the windows, companion door with duct tape, from the inside, and the comapnion door also from the outside.

He allways rides his bike all the way to the boat and puts his bike on the deck even if he is there for only 5 minutes... A few days ago he leaned his bike against the mast and emptied a can of WD40 on the bike, leaving the greas all over the mast, deck wood etc...just like that...

Anyway, a few weeks ago, we could see a lot of wood (varnished and not) in the pontoon, and all over the place...the guy that looks after my boat said he made at least 10 runs to the garbage bins and dumped all the wood there. Doors cut in pieces, fiberglass, cabinet doors a whole lot of wood...everywhere.

He hauled wood for at least 8 days, allways hammering and cuting with electric saw etc.

Outside, all the halyards were removed, and all the sheets removed, he had replaced all the lines and ropes with fishing lines!!!! I swear...I will get some photos next week...

He also took the selft tacking genoa , cut it and dumped it in the garbage, complete with blocks a friend kept for him...to return to the kid...he's nuts...

Anyway...a few weeks ago, before I came to Canada, I saw him outside in the cockpit and he looked at me and said, "hey Sir, my radio smokes, do you know why it smokes??"

So I was a bit worried, and asked if he wanted me to loook at it...he said Please do, Sir.

So I entered his boat!!!

MY GOD, is all I can say....he had removed every single piece of furniture, the boat is a whole wide space, the head is there, but has no walls, he cut the bulkead all around (very badly cut), and where it was cut, he nailed his sheets to cover the cuts, so his sheets are all nailed in the roof, and all over...

he cut the wood compression post, (I told him to get a piece of wood and make a new one) and explained what it was...he looks at me like I was a brain surgeon, and said, wow??? really?? I did no know... I just didn't like the post here...

All over the now side walls of the hull he painted yellow and orange and blue squares with house paint, drips everywhere...

The sink is there, but he removed the taps...only the floors are there and the bottom fiber glass parts of the settes and beds are there, buat all pillows etc. are gone.

He has a car radio wired outside, laying in what I think was the nav station, and he said that was where the smoke came from...he showed me, he has no fuses, nothing...and was connecting the two live wires and saying they smoked....I swear...no fuses nothing....he removed everything...some wires were hanging there, but insulated as he said he was going to call an electrician...

So I made sure he got the radio wired correctly, but the radio was dead. He show up next day with a brand new one, same brand, I swear at least a $600 radio...I wired it for him, with a 2 amp fuse, and told him to call the electrician every time the "music" did not work...

There are more incredible things from my next door neighbour...like I asked why he did that, he said he needed the space for his trip around the World.

He also said he removed the "ropes" from outside because he did not like them, and wanted to change the genoa, because it covers the view when sailing!!!

By the way, the sails are there, but he nailed the sail bags with nails!!!! to the sides of the boat in the forward cabin, together withs some sheets as decor.

I asked him why he cut and removed the forward bed, he said, he was going to cut the fore deck from the mast to the bow, and remove it, so he could lower a dinghy (that he bought), and store it in the space that was the forward bed, before!!!! he is going to start cutting the deck!!!! I told him not to do it now...he agreed, to do it "in the summer" less rain you know!!

I am going to try and get some photos for you to see, if you don't believe me...

Today I was talking to Val on the phone, because I had forgotten to tell him about this incredible story..here you go....

Now I am worried like hell, my boat is on the dry now, but next week I we are neighbours again..if his boat catches fire or sinks, mine is 2 feet from his...

I am very very very worried.....I think I am going to tell my marina manager about this.

I bought this space because I knew the kid never sails, so he never scratches my boat...now...I am worried...

What would you guys do. Please remember, the kid is nice, polite and minds his own business, he was never aggressive or anything...just away from reality, also remember, this is Europe, so we don't sue people for anything, and we don't expect our cops to beat the hell out of people ...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Wow - that's quite a story... will we see pictures soon? (assuming your flight gets off the ground!)

Don't see what you can do - other than for his own sake persuade him to stay tied up forever.

You said you "bought" your slip... guess that means it's difficult to relocate.

What a shame, what's been done to that boat.
Old 12-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Uggh... I hope he's not doing drugs... especially ones that involve fire...

Good luck... sounds like the boat is a real wreck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-13-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
The guy may be polite, but to do 10's of 1000's of dollars damage to the boat, something isn't right. I would worry. Sounds like a Steven king novel looking for a place to happen.
Old 12-13-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
I'll first introduce you to my "credentials" in commenting on this...

While walking along to the slip of a friend's boat on which I was crewing, I noticed the transom of a new E24 in the marina and thought I would wonder over… Little did I know I was about to encounter an Endeavour that had been tortured and mutilated into this Horror.

is where the terror begins. What is that thing jammed onto the bow? Has someone converted an E24 into a small whaling boat? Like driving past a multi-car wreck on the freeway, I had to take a closer look.
(Side note: The headsail seen on the foredeck is actually a very expensive top-quality racing sail…or at least it once was. People in neighbouring pens state that it has been sitting like that on the foredeck for the last four years. Very bizarre.)

The first thing that came to light was that whatever this thing on the front of the boat was…it had undergone massive change and revision at the hands of a peculiar mind. Reinforcement plates had been welded and riveted to the inside of the angle-iron frame. Fairleads that may have had some purpose early on where now just hanging on like barnacles in places they could not achieve anything. To make it so much more special though, the entire frame was made of mild steel and had been painted (possibly dipped, or more accurately sculpted onto) with bituminous latex in a remarkable shade of baby-cack. Anyone that has retiled their own bathroom will be familiar with bituminous latex; it is the moisture barrier you paint onto the undersurface in preparation to tiling. It is not UV stable and tends to go runny. Our hero’s solution seems to be to have simply painted on some more over the top until a very organic and disturbing globbiness had been achieved on all surfaces.
(By the way, the little thing at the top of this picture seems to be a home made hawk (complete with its own coating of baby-cack latex. The fact that this is not clear of the wind distortion set up by the sails or, in fact, is not visible when the headsail is up seems to be irrelevant.

The dual bow-rollers at the base of this contraption seem to be a good idea, until you notice that they are made with welded in bits of tube instead of rollers and that the tube is about 18ga (would buckle with strong thumb/forefinger pressure). Since there is not the slightest mark on the latex that is painted on these, I do not think an anchor has ever come close to these.
Before leaving the bow of this aquatic Mad Max vehicle I should point out that what this thing seems to be for is a banana shaped bowsprit that has allowed him to place two extra forestays onto the boat in addition to the original forestay and the baby-stay further back.
The fact that these two stays are hanging slack and there are blocks and fairleads seemingly leading to nowhere managed to keep me awake for a couple of nights trying to puzzle it out. I have decided to quit that before I go mad(der).
The outermost of these extra stays, does have a downhaul…. but it only leads back to the foredeck…so you have to be standing right there to use it anyway. Utterly useless.
Lets move further back along this trainwreck…

This is the mast base…complete with pinrail and belaying pins…. ON A 24FOOTER?!?!?
Also note the HUGE mooring cleats that seem to be woodscrewed into the cabin-top. Yes that is a large crack next to the starboard one. I guess there was never any backing plate.
The “organic” nature of the boat continues with both the grime growing on the deck and the continued use of that bucket of baby-cack bituminous latex. Apparently it works on wood too!

The clever and stylish modification to the windows more or less speaks for itself. This belongs in Better Homes And Gardens…just not a frigging boat!
Notice the quality of application.
Say it with me people, Bituminous Latex….. Oooooh!

Not much to say about the mast except that it features sixteen stainless steel mast steps, all carefully fitted UPSIDE DOWN (the tread is visible on the “underside”) and seemingly attached to the mast with mild steel woodscrews. But what about corrosion, I hear you ask, Well fear not, the bottom third (more or less) has been splashed vigorously with that miracle product for happy boating…Bituminous Latex!
So, by this point there really isn’t a lot of E24 left. How much worse could it get? Well, please allow me to introduce you to the steering system…

Yes…it gets worse.

Please note the powerboat compass on the port side. It is completely impossible to use accurately while using the “wheel” on the starboard side. Did I mention that bituminous latex seems to stick to timber?

And as we approach the end of this horror show…here is the elegant and functional steering box that sits atop the rudderpost. Yes that is a very expensive Lumar self-tailing winch. I have absolutely no idea what it is doing there. It does not go to a furler or a sheet or indeed anything else. It just has a coil of rope that doesn’t do anything. It is a single winch (not part of a pair).
The elevated mainsheet traveller is kind of bulky (and latex covered, of course) but is understandable and practical in comparison to most everything else done to this poor boat.

Just a shot of the cockpit in all its splattered glory. I particularly like the non-slip safe flooring rubber that is laying around in chunks you can trip over.

And to conclude the tour…

No, you are not seeing triple. This boat really does have three backstays, all mounted within inches of each other. Only the centre one is on a proper chainplate. On of the stays has an insulator for a HF ariel mounted at the bottom, but not at the top. The other clutter is a whip 27meg ariel and a HF ariel all mounted to the back deck in a swiss-cheese sort of arrangement.
There are two fishing rod tubes welded to the pushpit rail…but there is no way to reach them past all this stuff.
Note also the huge stainless fairleads and mooring cleats.
The not unattractive blue used on hatch covers, by the way, is another brand (and thus colour) of bituminous latex. This guy didn’t just have a ten litre bucket of the stuff he wanted to use up…he did this with planning and malice aforethought.
The solar panel is overshaded by nearly everything.
I wandered away from this boat a saddened man, my friends. This is obviously what happens to unwary Endeavours that fall into bad company. I am tempted to set up a fund and buy it from this owner and then rehabilitate it into a real boat once more.

As to what you can do about it....
Talk to the marina management and ask them to get in touch with the boat's actual owner. Get them to relaise that they now have a formal compaint of an unsafe and unseaworthy boat being in the marina and a potential danger to other residents.

make it formal and make it in writing.

They will act on it. They will likely find him a slip to move to that is more "out of the way" for now, and they will likely get in touch with the owner and explain that something will need to be done within X amount of time.
Think about it this way, when was the last time the kid seriously inspected and replaced his mooring lines? Reinforced them in bad weather? How long till he decides he does not like them and replaces them with 15pound fishing line too?
he does not need to catch fire, he just needs to go drifting unpowered through the marina... bumpty bump debump.

he does actually use proper facilites for draining his toilet's holding tank, deosn't he? If so, how does he get the boat around to the station? If not...you do not want to be near that!

Cheers.

Sasha

Last edited by Sasha_V; 12-13-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Giu,
Wow, it sounds like all the crazies are not over here. Does he party with his friends on the boat? I would be worried also not that he'd scratch your boat but that he would mistake yours for his fathers and then start on his next project on yours. I don't think there is much of anything you can do. The only thing I can think of that the marine manager can do is contact the kid's father to see if he is ok with the "modifications". I think he should definitely do that. Beyond that have you considered moving your slip?
Old 12-13-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Giu, It's sad about the kid but you have to look out for your property.
I think telling the marina manager is the best. You don't want your boat to burn, he doesn't want his dock to burn either.
Old 12-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Damn, I'm glad that I don't have anything like that near me in my marina...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-13-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Sasha, that boat is impressive...could it be a prop used on a movie?

The kid in the Hanse doesn't live there, he just goes there often.

Our marinas have state of the art WC's and showers, he doesn't use the head. Its just sitting there...

The boat is tied with extremely thick ropes, and my boat keepr actually sees that his boat is properly tied at all times, and when we get storms, when my boat keeper tightens my boat, he also tightens his, so his does not hit mine..I am ok with it.

Another thing I forgot, is he has 10 or 12 fenders he hang between me and him...

Kinda offensive with that, as initially I took it as a sign I could not moor!! ehehehe

I like that, because of his fenders I only carry 3 now, and save weight!
Old 12-13-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
Well, you could just decide now is an adventageous time to triple the insurance value on your boat....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.