Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Missing Sailboat found!

I've been listening to the USCG searching for these guys for 11 days. They could have picked a better time of year to go offshore in a 30' boat in the N. Atlantic...but thank god all are safe. No EPIRB...Here's the story:

LONDON, Ont. -- Two Londoners missing at sea for 11 days and feared dead after a failed Coast Guard search have been found alive off the coast of South Carolina.
Paul Shore and Brock Argyle, both in their 50s, managed to hail a fisherman and get their badly damaged, nine-metre sailboat towed to Georgetown, S.C.
"I feel much better today. I was able to touch ground, real ground," Shore said by phone.
The men arrived Thursday but only made contact with family and friends yesterday.
"Oh my God. They were found," one close friend said. "I just bawled my eyes out."

The two men survived a three-day storm that smashed 11-metre-high waves and 110-km/h winds into their sailboat, Pride.
They spent the next eight days inching the damaged boat to shore, watching one potential rescuer pass by, wondering if anyone would find them in the Atlantic.
"We were just a little speck of salt in the ocean," Shore said.
Their food ran out just before they hailed a man, their "new best friend," fishing off the S.C. coast, Shore said.
Shore and Brock have sailed out of Port Stanley for years.
"My dream was always to sail down the east coast," said Shore, a hotel and restaurant manager. "We had been planning this for a long time."
The two sailors left Lewes, Del., for Panama on Nov. 30.
They were supposed to check in with family and friends on Dec. 2. By Dec. 9, with no word, a friend contacted the U.S. Coast Guard.
The Coast Guard scoured the ocean from Delaware to Florida, then called off the search Dec. 12.
Just after noon Dec. 13, their eyes fell, with great relief, on a distant smokestack and to the north, some houses and then the fisherman.
By 9:30 p.m. they had been towed.
http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canad...26036-sun.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
What's with the NASCAR type advertisment in your post??

Are you now sponsored by Walmart??

Geee...that's nuts....

I am going to report you to the mods for SPAM!!!
Old 12-15-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Fixed it...Firefox wouldn't show it or let me edit it...Explorer did. Wierd!
Old 12-15-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
That was an accident??

I thought that your posts now would be sided by commercials...like the race cars..(G)
Old 12-15-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
That's a crazy story...you don't go out into the Atlantic in a 30 footer without a sail plan, checking in with the CG, and these days, a EPIRB. Where was the handheld VHF? Where were the flares?

As is usual with these stories, the very details that I want to know are absent because a landlubber focused on the "rescue" wrote it. I want to know why they went so far offshore, were they dismasted, etc.

I'm glad they are OK, just as I am glad that anyone beats those kind of odds, but I never know whether to cheer their seamanship, or to curse their ignorance.
Old 12-15-2007

cheapboxofwine is on a distinguished road
We too heard those Coast Guard calls as we were traveling South. We are relieved to hear that the men on Pride are alive and back to shore now.
Happy Holidays to them and their families!
Old 12-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ummm... what the hell were they thinking... ????? Did they even have the minimum required safety gear aboard??? It sure doesn't sound like it. They were going from Delaware to Panama and they set off into the teeth of a Nor'easter??? Were they trying for a Darwin Award???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-16-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Ummm... what the hell were they thinking... ????? Did they even have the minimum required safety gear aboard??? It sure doesn't sound like it. They were going from Delaware to Panama and they set off into the teeth of a Nor'easter??? Were they trying for a Darwin Award???
On December 2 when they headed out, I can find no nor'easter predicted
Old 12-16-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I've been listening to the USCG searching for these guys for 11 days.
Cam, is that on some HF channel or do you mean on a local UHF/VHF channel ? I'd enjoy listening to the CG talk about stuff like this but I don't know where to listen in for it if it is on HF. Thanks!

Please support my
Old 12-16-2007
moderate?

Nah...just VHF16...Oregon Inlet Coast guard was the lead on this and I am within listening distance to them. You might try this for some listening fun!
http://www.bigdumboat.com/network.html

Or one of these:
http://www.docksideradio.com/east_coast.htm

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.