Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My favorite incident is when the owner of a powerboat that used to be a my marina came and told me that his first fuel dock trip of the season cost him $1500... the name of his boat is "Empty Pockets"...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
And that was just his "first" fuel dock trip of the season. Good grief - it's no wonder the used boat market is saturated with powerboats collecting dust and loan interest!
Old 12-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The powerboaters get a bit annoyed at me when I tell them I spent $50 on fuel for the entire season and still have seven gallons left over... I love doing that to them...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-20-2007
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
If one was to pick a profession of those of us that sail my guess would be pilots would be #1 on that list. I know of those that I fly with in the cockpit, at least 25% of us sail. It is a marriage made in heaven. I have to echo what others have said. We understand all how a sailboat works, can grasp the understanding of systems on the boat (electrical, plumbing, ect), navigate, and crew resource management.
Old 12-20-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentySeven View Post
If paragliding (Parapent, in French) counts you can add me up.
I did my Parapente training up in Gourdon above the city of Grasse. It was a lot of fun but trading the comfortable slow pace for that lack of control ended up being too much for me. Perhaps the chute collapse on a cross country flight {which luckily re-opened just before I was to impact the ground} was the real reason I stopped paragliding. But you really do have a very intimate relation to thermals in a paraglider and I used my nose more often than the vario or seat-of-the-pants to realize what the air around me was doing.

p.s. I am selling my LS-6b and LS-4a if anyone here is interested

Last edited by Zanshin; 12-20-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2008

Catsailor07 is on a distinguished road
I learned to sail before I took up hang gliding. Sailing a windsurfer in high wind with the sail pulled over lifting me and the board reminded me of flying a hang glider. Sailing and flying seem so together.

John
Old 03-19-2008
560kts sucks/7kts perfect

Sailpilot is on a distinguished road
Weather, Navigation, Etc... I have always enjoyed sailing with fellow professional pilots. We all pretty much follow the same Crew Management and reactions needed to operate the vessel (aircraft and sailboat). The training after years of flying in that enviroment become very natural and expected when followed aboard a sailboat. I am not at all saying pilots make better sailors. Just that they can draw a lot of information and knowledge from their day job.