Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007

kennya is on a distinguished road
Sailing and Flying

Sailing and Flying
A friend and I got into a discussion, He clams that, flying and sailing have no common thread. A person either does on or the other, that a flying sailor is rear. I disagree; being a flying sailor I believe there are many of us out there. I am of the opinion that one skill enhances the other. How does the learned panel feel on this? Not asking anyone to bare false witness on this, a true and honest response is solicited, even though a 12 pack is involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
My neighbor is a 737 captain for United, he own's/sails a Dubeck 46ft ketch, and a Macgregor 26m - now some here would argue that owning and sailing a Macgregor serves to say he isn't a sailor, but I've seen him rails down on it thrashing away at proving that aerodynamics and hydraulics combined are a thing of beauty.
I'd argue that sailing and flying gliders is pretty much a common thread..
Then again, I sail a catamaran and some say that's not sailing either.
Old 12-17-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
We have four pilots in my immediate family. Two of them are accomplished sailors.

Does 50% win you the 12-pack?

Also, my father, with over 20,000 hours in multi-engines, enjoys coming for a sail, but has no real experience or abilities. While he's good crew nonetheless, he has opined more than once that sailing seems more complicated than flying.
Old 12-17-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
You'll never guess what local Portuguese sailor is also a pilot. He's probably flying right now.
Old 12-17-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
I've taught sailing as a sideline gig for a few years, and have found aviators to be the easiest to teach regarding why sailboats sail upwind. I know squat about aviation, but understand that for a sailor, "lift" is propulsion, while the ocean holds us "up"; lift for an aviator is what keeps you from falling out of the sky, hence absolutely critical to survival, not just speed.

I'm not saying aviators have a better feel for sailing than others, though they definitely have the understanding of angle of attack, laminar flow, turbulent flow, lift, and stall, when I describe it regarding sails. Some aviators are all thumbs at sailing, some are "naturals"--same thing with non-aviators, in my experience.

I still like that occasional student who catches a puff on a light-air day and accelerates from nada up to 4 knots and really likes it, whose "day" job is flying F-18s at 1800 knots.

I still think learning sailing is more instinctual than intellectual. That said, the aviators start out already understanding (intellectually, if not physically) the science of upwind sailing.
Old 12-17-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I know quite a few sailors that were/are pilots first, so I think you win, Kennya
Old 12-17-2007

BigAssHam is on a distinguished road
I was a live aboard sailor for 8 months and have sailed for many more years. I've also had my private ticket since 1991 although I'm currently not current ( nyuk...nyuk... nyuk ). I'd say that being a sailor helped me when I was a student pilot. Most of learning to fly isn't about flying at all. It's about weather, decision making, aerodynamics and emergency preparedness.

I love doing both. In fact, before the feds put up the stupid ADIZ around Washington, I used to fly from FDK over to the South River ( Lee ) so I could fly over my sailboat!

Lot's of similarities between the two hobbies ( they both require lots of money! ). In fact, I just heard about a sailing club on the Magothy that originally started as a flying AND sailing club. They had one plane and one sailboat for 5 members. Pretty cool - wish I could find one like that now.
Old 12-18-2007
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Kennya - Two words for your friend: Bernoulli's Principle...

We rest our case!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 12-18-2007

FlyingSailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FlyingSailor
Why do you think I have this name on here????

I have been Flying for over 39 yrs for a living for 34yrs.

I have been Sailing for 25 yrs.

I'm about to hang up the Flying and go cruising for the next 10 yrs or so.

Lots of skills are interchangeable between Flying Small Planes and Sailing. And Since I fly float planes have even more things in common.

Weather, reading Wind on the water, A Sail is basically a Wing on end. You Change the sail shape for High life or high speed just like wings are different shapes For Low speed high lift or high speed.
Radio Skills can be carried over, Navigation. And donít forget both are fun. And can kill you if you don't know what you are doing.
Both can have many hours of Boredom with short times of excitement when Weather gets bad or you have system Failures.
Old 12-18-2007

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Well, I have been flying all of my adult life for a living. However my sailing experience started much more recently but that is irrelevant. The sails of a boat and the wings of a plane do the same thing, just in a different plane right? Both supply lift however you need to know that lift does not automatically mean up.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.