Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Boat name painting

I'm looking for recommendations for someone to paint the name on my boat, in the annapolis area. I can pull up a yellow page reference - I want to hear from folks that have actually done it.
Last year when we bought the boat we put on vinyl letters, I want to pull them off and do it right this spring.

Chuckles
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Get a kid who's into quality graffiti some of their work is exceptional.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 12-18-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Chuckles,
I had mine painted by a woman in Annapolis last spring. I'll go through my files later today and see if I can come up with contact info. She did a really nice job.
Old 12-18-2007
SeŮor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Get a kid who's into quality graffiti some of their work is exceptional.
Talk about a contradiction in terms . . .
Old 12-18-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Chuckles -- Dare I ask why the vinyl letters are inferior? The vast majority of names on boats these days are vinyl and when done professionally look really sharp. Plus they last a long time. Nothing against painting of course, but vinyl is the better way to go in my book.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 12-18-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
They are inferior soley because my wife and I argued over where to put the name, and measurements. I don't like the placement (bow, both sides) or the alignment - crooked by 1/2 inch; but noticeable by me.
They are coming off anyway, it just doesn't look good now and the USCGA inspector said the name had to be on the aft 1/3 of the vessel. The stern of the boat doesn't have enough flat transom area for the name with the letter's properly sized, so I"m putting the name on the stern to starboard (helm side, faces out when docked) and on the bow to port side only (maybe - depending on cost).
Besides, it gives me a reason for another naming party

So, I thought I'd look into painting them on.
Old 12-18-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Go ahead and look into the difference. I personally found using my sign guy, that painting was more expensive than vinyl by a bunch. The vinyl on my company trucks/trailers have lasted over 10 yrs. I really doubt you will get paint to last that long. Well it might, but if out in the open, it seems to fade, wear off more than vinyl. Many varieties of Vinyl are warranteed/guaranteed to not fade for 7-8 yrs.

You can see my preferred preference. In the end, tho, like a lot of things, there are pros and cons to ea. To do vinyl, like paint, one needs to make sure you prep, put lines, pencil or equal on the boat to get the letters in between where one wants them, level with the water line etc. If not done correctly, either will look horrible! Either will look good.

Another pro to vinyl, is it is easier to remove with a heat gun, torch or equal. Altho the latter, ie torch, one needs to be a bit more careful than a heat gun/hardryer etc. Paint is lots of scrubbing with goof off/acetone or equal, along with brass wool, or equal plastic pad.

Good luck on search.

Marty
Old 12-18-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Chuckles,
I just PM'd you with the info on the person I used. Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 12-18-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Easy Off oven cleaner will remove a painted name in minutes.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Chuckles-

IMHO, a properly done vinyl job will out last a painted one and be less expensive to begin with.

From the USCG FAQ page on Documented Vessels:

Quote:
The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
Nothing in the USCG faq or the related law says that the name has to be on the aft third of the vessel... just on the exterior. The guy who did your VSC is full of ****...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
They are inferior soley because my wife and I argued over where to put the name, and measurements. I don't like the placement (bow, both sides) or the alignment - crooked by 1/2 inch; but noticeable by me.
They are coming off anyway, it just doesn't look good now and the USCGA inspector said the name had to be on the aft 1/3 of the vessel. The stern of the boat doesn't have enough flat transom area for the name with the letter's properly sized, so I"m putting the name on the stern to starboard (helm side, faces out when docked) and on the bow to port side only (maybe - depending on cost).
Besides, it gives me a reason for another naming party

So, I thought I'd look into painting them on.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.