Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, I know but the resemblance is worrying... as long as you don't sail in bright blue waters that go in big circles.... Oh, wait, that's the Tidy Bowl man...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2007
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
If the messages here haven't gotten the point across yet, the Great Lakes can be nasty. I used to crew on a boat out of Muskegon, the skipper refused to take his own boat on the Chicago-Mackinaw race, he had crewed several of the races on other boats and had plenty of frightful experiences, including broaching in a t-storm in the middle of the lake, same night that multiple boats were dismasted. There is a reason that the USCG used to shadow the race with a cutter (maybe they still do).

IMHO the best location to start from on Lake Michigan is Grand Traverse Bay (based on my limited experience). You have the relatively sheltered bay if the big lake is messy plus the northern end of the lake is prettier than the south.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Old 12-19-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrog View Post
the northern end of the lake is prettier than the south.
I'm not sure I would agree with that, there is plenty of pretty things to see down South. It depends on what you call pretty.

I will agree that the Southern End is nothing more than a large bowl with very few navigational challenges and that the Northern End has more Islands, Reefs, and Anchorages.

If your looking for remote we have that down here too.
Most of my sailing is down in the Southern End.

Just stay away from Indiana Harbor and its all good.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SailorTJK—

What's wrong with Indiana Harbor???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-19-2007
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
What's wrong with Northwest Indiana - Gary. Best described as pollution, smell, ugly factories, smell, smell, and smell.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Last edited by TheFrog; 12-19-2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: can't tell east from west
Old 12-19-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
SailorTJK—

What's wrong with Indiana Harbor???
I'll try and post some pic's.
Not the prettiest place on the Lakes.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 12-19-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2007

Banshi is on a distinguished road
I was in a race on Lake Mt. Dora in central florida back in 1981 I believe. There were several hundred boats of all makes, we were sailing lightnings and just after the cats all got going, but before we started, a sudden storm burst hit with 50+ mph winds.............needless to say it was mayhem with boats flipped over, masts broken, dock collisions and sails torn everywhere. Fortunately no one was seriously injured though one of the lightnings in the fleet lost it's jib and had trouble recovering it because a water mockison got in between them and the sail at the shoreline. Don't underestimate lake conditions, mother nature can strike anywhere at anytime.
Old 12-19-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentySeven View Post
Wow. Thank you all. I kind of had the intuition that it not could be as easy as ignorance makes you think. I guess it is bit like a storm in high mountains... last only a couple of hours, but appears out of nowhere in no time and it is prety scary, even if you are in a shelter. The Mediterranean sea is in a way similar to what you describe, and we have theese waves we call "FSW" (F... Short Wave)....

Regarding the time of the year (not that I plan to get there on the winter, sure about that!) is there a better time than other. Comparing with the Mediterranean again, here June/July is much better than August/September. Is there a favourite time of the year for you in the lakes?
TwentySeven, it is said even of relatively benign Lake Ontario that if you can survive the spring and fall gales and the summer squalls, you can handle the North Atlantic. Certain conditions and areas will give you very little notice that a squall is coming, so it is very important to be sure of your gear and to reduce sail in a timely fashion. The upside, of course, is that in the middle of a continent like ours, the weather tends to keep moving (usually to the east), and so storms, while vicious and potentially destructive, rarely last a long time.

In the Lakes, your FSWs are called "square waves", because they are steep and closely grouped, rarely having swell or rollers to separate purely wind-driven waves. As for the time of year, that is dependent on your tolerance for cool weather and light winds. June will generally feature more wind for sailing, but the nights are cool as the Great Lakes don't warm up until July, and Superior and the north end of Michigan don't warm up much at all!

The "lower" Great Lakes, by contrast, can get very warm in July and August, with often disappointing winds only broken up by heat-driven thunderstorms. However, there are a great number of charming destinations, which may be of more interest to you than purely sailing.

I would say a good time to visit Canadian waters would be June for Lake Huron and Georgian Bay (a cruising ground in its own right, but bring very good ground tackle and a depth finder!), or Lake Ontario in early September, when the crowds are less, the lake is warmest, but you will get more decent wind. Lake Erie is relatively shallow, and the "square wave effect" is most pronounced there. Superior is like a real sea, with different weather affecting different parts. Its sparse population and lack of harbour facilities attract the more independent cruiser, but the reward is vast stretches of natural beauty, clean air and sparkling waters you can, in most places, drink directly from the lake.
Old 12-19-2007
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
Has anyone worked out the difference in size between the Great Lakes and the eastern Med (east of Italy) ?
Old 12-19-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Barlow View Post
Has anyone worked out the difference in size between the Great Lakes and the eastern Med (east of Italy) ?
The entire Med (excluding the Black Sea) is 970,000 sq miles... the Great lakes all together total 95,000 square miles.... nearly 1/10th the area.

The Med east of Italy appears (to my eye) to be the larger half.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.