Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Communications Schedules

When I read about missing boats, you often see mentions of "There was no set communications schedule." What is a realistic schedule? Every two days? Three? Four? More?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, it depends on what kind of communications equipment you have and what kind of budget you have. If you have an SSB, then a daily sched with one of the regular marine nets might make sense... If you're using a satellite phone, it might make sense to talk every two or three days, to keep the costs down. If you're using Sailmail or e-mail, every day wouldn't be a bad idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-20-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I go back and forth on this one. Obvioulsy, keeping someone apprised of your whereabouts has benefits in the event you go missing or have difficulties requiring assistance.

But I also wonder if doing so might cause loved ones undue stress and anxiety throughout the course of your voyage. Especially if your COM equipment malfunctions. Is there such thing as too much information and details about your rate of progress or lack thereof?

Might it be better to simply tell them your anticipated arrival time, +/- a week, promise to check in when you arrive, and tell them not to worry while assuring them that you are prepared for virtually any contingency?

From a SAR standpoint, probably the best thing you can do is make sure you have at least one EPIRB, which will give a better position to the SAR folks than an old fix from the COM schedule. I'm not sure what else beyond that you get from the COM schedule?

I go back to the amercan family that was run down by the feighter off NZ (which I mentioned here: This is so tragic ). To me, this is about the worst case scenario, and I don't see how a COM schedule would have changed that outcome.

Then again, most of the organized off-shore rallies and races require a COM schedule....But it seems like the purpose is to tell people that "all is well", when we ought to be saying "assume all is well until you hear otherwise". That "otherwise" can come via the same COM link as the scheduled calls would have, or via EPIRB.

Just some random thoughts.