Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Teshannon,

Have a loan on your boat? does it have a head and a place to lay your head? If so it mnay qulaify as a second home. Contact your accountant.
Do you have clients or customers that you can take to the boat for an afternoon of sailing or whatever? if so... contact your accountant.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Freesail,
I wouldn't say that about moonfish, he's always kept things very separate.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 12-21-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Cardiac,
I'm aware I can write the interest on the boat loan off. Are you saying I mat be able to write the whole thing off through depreciation, including the upkeep? Please say yes!
Old 12-21-2007

Unknown, contact your accountant for all of your options.

Old 12-21-2007
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Cardiacpaul - Your response, as are most of your posts, well thought out and of substance. Right offs and expenses aside, Bob is not rich by any stretch. Though I wish I had the right offs he does, he still cannot buy a brand new finished Shannon unless he wanted to go back deep in debt (but he got tired of waking up at 3 in the morning worrying about things like where the money was coming from in order to pay the printer that month). Even when stressed out about money, you're right on - he and Jody are definitely living the life they chose.

To everyone, I should clarify that Bob is not complaining about any of this. he never will. And yes, he is not speaking because he is not on this forum. I am. I spoke up and wanted to set the record straight because he's my friend and I believe, whether there's profit in it or not, he's a man who cares passionately about this which we love: sailing. And he created his magazine for us, because back then he always felt like he didn't belong in sailing the way that CW and Sail portray it. He still doesn't. When he realized that most of the sailors/cruisers he knew down on the docks with used boats felt the same way, and they were saying "Hey Bob, why don't you start your own sailing magazine?", he did. So to hear people say he's stinkin' rich, a greedy capitalist, laughing all the way to the bank... Well, I'm sorry, because I know otherwise I think it's unfair. It's just my opinion, I know. What's fair or unfair is relative, I guess.

I don't ever mean to tell anyone what to think, I only want to give information and truth that might alter one's thinking if I think it's askew. But then again, I am always aware of the possibility that even when I think I know something to be true, my thinking may be off. I often wonder if back in the day, would I have believed the earth to be flat or round? I can't honestly say...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Last edited by Moonfish; 12-21-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Cardiac,
Thanks. If not already discussed I'll post a new thread to see what others are doing, recognizing there will be differences depending on each situation.
Old 12-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Teshannon-

For the boat to qualify as a second home, it has to have a permanently installed head and galley. No porta-potties...not camping stoves allowed...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-24-2007
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
One thing I don't understand about the sale of the boat: in the article describing the circumstances of the sale I got the impression that, money aside, Bob would only sell the boat to a buyer who appreciated her and would love her as much as he did. Yet in the next issue there was a full page ad listing The Lost Soul as for sale. ?? Apparently the buyer just wanted to "flip" the boat??
Old 12-25-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
there have been several issues published since the announcement of the sale of the boat...with ads to sell the boat. Is it sold or not sold? That's the curious part of this deal.
Old 12-25-2007
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Smile This is nice

It may not stay this way, but, it give a person the idea if they were to consider the magazine for a subscription.
I really enjoyed the article on page 34 about "Pusser's Rum"!