Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
Almost Every magazine gets something for reviewing a product... ad space or the produce... same with other boating mags and same with cars, guns, fishing, golf... sorry but that is how the world works.... actually I'm not very sorry... it is just reality... not much goes on with out someone getting a benifet... and being part of a corporation is not typically considered a philanthropic endevor... at least we hope it isn't.

I have no problem with Bob getting perks... as long as the reviews are honest... and I never believe EVERY thing I read... most are opinions and not facts always pertinent to me. To me it is cafeteria style... I take from the articles what I want or need but not at the only point of view.

Personally I like the Lat&Atts, I pick them up when I can and met Bob at the St. Pete boat show a few weeks back. Interesting... and large person... just as I had figured he would be. The mag is more light humor than most boating rags and I personally enjoy that as much if not more than the technical articles.

Having a Merry Christmas in the Caribbean and wish everyone a great New Year full of sailing and some of our Christmas Winds now coming through at 22+mph!!
Old 12-27-2007
Lake Arthur & Lake Erie

jgmartis is on a distinguished road
Lats and Atts

I like L&A even though I can't afford 99% of whats in there (can always afford the rum!). When I was a teen 25 years ago I read his biker mag even though I couldn't afford the bikes or the girls. Bob's mags are about the lifestyle and thats why I enjoy them.

To all of you who think that owning your own business with all of the "tax writeoffs" is an envious situation then go out and start one. I have been there, even if you are sucessful it's the land of heartbreak and frustration. Only those who have owned thier own business truly understand this.

On a brighter note if you go to seafaring website you can view more than 25 hour of the Lats and Atts tv for free with almost no commercials.

As for Bob's free stuff he stated in one of his attitudes commentaries he gets things for free and tells about them and he expects his readers to know that. Or do you really think the astronauts insisted on Tang?

Last but most important I like Hawiian shirts, Bob wears Hawaiian shirts so he can't be all bad.

Jim

P.S. The blond is cute, but I can't afford the wife I already have.

Last edited by jgmartis; 12-27-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2007
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
The Sale of the LOST SOUL...

They differ so much because you don't have the whole story. And you're not alone, so to bastardize a line from Paul Harvey, "And here's the rest of the story..."

Yes, Bob sold the boat exactly the way I described. The buyer was a very rich man who had made his fortune with a fleet of Alaskan King Crab fishing boats. When he bought the boat, he was very excited. He even told Bob and Jody that whatever they didn't want to take off the boat (placemats from Tonga, plates from Greece, etc.) he would love to have as he was going to start cruising right away.

The Lost Soul has a 160hp 6 cyl engine (can't remember what kind, either a Ford Lehman or a Perkins). During the test sail, Bob explained to the guy that they cruised under power at about 1,500 rpm. He added that they ran the engine up to 1,800 rpm for short periods, but no more than that. When they buyer went on his first trip, he told his hired Captain that he knew "these engines and they cruise at 2,000 rpm". So he instructed the captain to do so, and they ran it for 6 or 8 hours at that speed. Not exactly sure what happened, but the engine overheated and "broke". So the guy had it completely rebuilt. Nice to have lots of money, eh? They took it out again, and he told the captain to take her up to 2,000 rpm again. After many hours, it "broke" again. He called Bob and said he was fed up with sailing and would sell the boat. And this all took place in about 45 days or so. This really peeved Jody, as they left a bunch of the aforementioned cruising items, simply because the guy was so enthusiastic about cruising aboard the Lost Soul, and they liked him. Needless to say, both Bob and Jody are disappointed in the way things went. They really thought they were giving the Lost Soul a good new owner who would care for her and cruise her around the world for years.

I don't know if Bob is helping him sell the boat or not, but the "for sale" ad you see in the magazine is for the current owner, not Bob and Jody.

And now you know, "the rest of the story..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Last edited by Moonfish; 12-28-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2007
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Rick - Your recollection is mostly correct. Bob did try to sell the boat before the refit. At that time he and Jody were thinking of a new boat, such as a Hylas 54. But, they were just too expensive. So that's when they decided to keep the Lost Soul and "rebuild" her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.