Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Two observations:

1) Tracy's a keeper... and a trooper...
2) The weather forecasts are never right... so don't depend on 'em.

One wiseass comment:

What, no video???

Thanks for the post Hoffa. BTW, don't forget ski goggles or diving masks for the next time you go out... they make it a lot easier to look around when the wind is blowing spray or rain at 40+ knots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
i don't see any design bobbing up and down, at least not in short, steep waves like these, but what do in know? the wind was gusting to about 30 knots
I know those type waves well, they're typical of this area, especially when the wind is against the tides. Having been weather cocked before in 10' seas and 40 knots of wind while smack in the middle of the Admiralty Inlet, I can say that Oh Joy does bob up and down in beam seas with moderate canvas up. I can also attest that it's scary as hell doing so while looking into the teeth of that gale at the breakers starting to form as they rush your boat.

I'm glad to hear you have the cojones to take your house out in those conditions. You're correct about it being the best way to learn. Just take the proper precautions. Did ya file a float plan with anyone?
Old 12-27-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I've gone out few time locally with 20-30 knot winds forecast. Start with a reef or two from the shore, throw up a blade, and enjoy! I too have been in short chop, ie wind from one direction, tide current coming against you! One way to learn, just do not be to confident at first, that will get you in trouble, start off slow with the amount of sail, add a bit when you see how strong things are etc. And enjoy the ride.

This happened a bit in mid nov. A race was scheduled, only two boats showed up, so the two of use took a slow easy sail across puget sound and back. If figured we were out, did not worry about pushing the boat, but decided to see how well she went. Saw gust to over 30, a month before, saw gust to 25 in a major race. Both were fun. Alth the Nov ride, we were in a wave trough, and the waves were higher than i was sitting in the cockpit! Waves were at the time going with the wind, so long and tall! Tenuki missed a fun day!

marty
Old 12-27-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
what's interesting is the various approaches people have to intense situations. some folks talk about how they never hope to experience it, and others talk about how much fun it was. maybe that's experience talking, i don't know. i do believe it has nothing to do with courage(that would be the easy answer). different strokes? maybe. what i do know is that while tracy and i certainly had things under control, it wouldn't take much for that to change very quickly.

i was aware that the boat really was like a cork, a more-or-less sealed bubble of air that aside from holing, would continue to stay above the water. but that didn't mean that it would be habitable.
it's an old truism that boats can take more than people, and i had always approached that as if it was somehow a failing of people - a good sailor should be able to last as long as the boat. i had a glimpse yesterday of how that isn't the case at all, that people ultimately are sensitive souls and are finite, while physical forces are impersonal and can persist without end.

that guy recently rescued off the east coast may have made several mistakes that got him into that situation, but i totally empathise with him and his call for help. nobody does that lightly and i can only imagine what sent him to the brink that he had to broadcast a mayday. people's limits may vary, but everyone has a limit. it's what binds all of us. there but for the grace of god go i.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 12-27-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I remember reading an editors comments in Sail? he was in Scotland, at a pub thinking how horrible it would be to sail, as a fleet of boats headed our for a race, A couple hrs later they came back, a few had ripped sails stuck to the top of the mast, ie upper jib and main seperated. broken booms, etc. They all sowed up in the pub laughing, bloodied faces, fingers etc on some, all laughing. The editor had to ask why they all went out in a 30-40 knot wind? If we waited for less than 20 knots to sail, we would NEVER get out and sail!

Any way, not sure what that is worth, but as they say, different strokes, for different folks! In the end, one does not need to go out when the OP went out, nor when I was out last month, but if your properly prepared, can get out of trouble if you will with in reason, have a game plan for any contingencies you think will arrive or could happen. Why not!

The worst that will happen, is you will flip your 8' pram in lke washington, swamp it in 2-3' waves and 20 knot winds............ok, so a story from age 15 or there abouts one halloween day back in 76! Any way, hopefully things will not break, like booms! i am sure that incident should NOT have happened, but fun to harass the victim none the less! have a game plan on how you will do what for ea circumstance of potential issue, follow to the best you can. Then laugh or cry about the end later. Sail has an article ea month in which folks tell about things that went right and wrong with in ea type of incident. The people tell about what they did right, and wrong, what they will do next time to prepare better for these issues.

Next time will go better. Just like my trip last month, I learned some things on how to handle this boat better when I get into similar situations! IE the shortening of sails will be done differently etc. Otherwise, it was a fun time for all! Same for the race in early oct. learned a few things there too! All good in the end. Just as the OP learned a few things, about himself, and spouse! along with how the boat handled things too. A good day out, nothing broke, even it if did, you lived to tell about it!

marty
Old 12-27-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Hey Hoffa, get on a plane will ya??

...come here..me and Fred...we'll grow hair in your chest for sure....you'll go home feeling like a man...we'll discuss philosophy all right....from a halyard up high...in real weather in a real boat....

Old 12-27-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Hey Hoffa, get on a plane will ya??

...come here..me and Fred...we'll grow hair in your chest for sure....you'll go home feeling like a man...we'll discuss philosophy all right....from a halyard up high...in real weather in a real boat....

dude, i hate to tell ya, it looked worse than that when we were out. more white, bigger crests.
and look at all that teak. teak is for girls.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 12-27-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Teak is for girls huh???

that was funny....

This one here, is the "girl" for you!!

Old 12-27-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
That's ok sailing weather, just ok
Old 12-27-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
PHOTOSHOP of Giu opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Save to file, open when needed.

Ok, back to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Teak is for girls huh???

that was funny....

This one here, is the "girl" for you!!