Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
That's where we differ Rick. I like to sharpen my skill sets so I do venture out in SCA's and Gales to do just that. Each time I do, I learn something. The first time, which turned out to be much more than forecast by 30 knots, I noticed that turning into the wind and waves to handle sails put my crew in harm's way because of the slamming into the waves. The second time, I ran off on a Broad Reach and the motion, amount of water and difficulty in dousing the headsails was much less. Just to be sure, I did the foredeck work in both directions myself and the difference was huge. The Mainsail and Mizzen still require beating to work with but the risk is reduced for those when beating. Again, boat design has a lot to do with the ride in inclement weather. Oh Joy is terrific in rough seas so it's not an issue.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like to go out during SCAs as well.. I notice the powerboats tend to stay in the marina when that happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-28-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, not much traffic at all except for diehards and commercial.
Old 12-28-2007

Dihydro77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I like to go out during SCAs as well.. I notice the powerboats tend to stay in the marina when that happens.
That sounds like good enough reason alone.
It also looks like some here like adventure and a bit of adrenaline every now and again.

I also wondered why so many in the northeast put their boat on the hard during these mild winters. Its been about 3 years now since I could remember seeing ice in or around the sound? Looking out over the water during the past couple of weeks and seeing no boats in site just makes me say --why not?

I can think of a few reasons including the risk of hypothermia and being uncomfortable with temps in the 30-40's. I guess if global warming keeps up we might be seeing more adventurous types out there this time of the year. lol
Old 12-28-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
You wouldn't get much sailing done here in the PNW during winter if you didn't venture out in SCA's which can, and do, turn into Gale's quite regularly. This winter especially it seems as though we have had more than our normal Gale Warnings, maybe we'll get a break here soon? Good for you Hoffa, and your trusty first mate, if you never test the "limits" how do you know what they are? I remember a guy up in Tofino in a Cape George 36 that went out in 20' to 24' breaking seas with winds blowing steady at 45K for a couple of hours. He said that it's good to know that you can do it, even if it is a bit uncomfortable. I only lasted in our 34' Northsea about as long as it took to find the courage to pick a trough to make a 180 in so I could head back in.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-28-2007

Dihydro77 is on a distinguished road
footage from hoffas adventure recently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXuzy0k9mZQ&NR=1
His boat and crew are in there somewhere lol
Old 12-29-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dihydro77 View Post
footage from hoffas adventure recently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXuzy0k9mZQ&NR=1
His boat and crew are in there somewhere lol
i wanna play

i love the comment some guy left: "Bugger that - I like piddling about in boats, but that's just too rough." succinct and to the point.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 12-29-2007
On the hard

That looks real familiar, without the swells. The wind waves look the same. Thankfully, none of my sails ended up looking like that. Beating in conditions like that to do sail changes or just because that's your course is nasty at best.