Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
ok now that was scary

another sunny day showed up so tracy and i decided to head out. small craft warning in the straight, gale warning this am, but it was supposed to calm down a bit. not. this is my limit, at least without experienced help aboard. the waves were fast and steep; i don't know how big they actually were, but when they were hitting the ogden point breakwater the spray was going about 40 feet in the air.
going to weather wasn't so bad at first but a squall came along, and even with a double reef and half-reefed jib, and mainsheet slackened off, she still went on her ear. decided to put the jib away for good and that helped; still doing four knots with just a handkerchief of sail up. the waves were spaced about a boat length apart, and were over the top of the dodger. They got worse the further out into the strait we sailed, so we came about, and that put us beam on the waves; you would go on one ear, the wave would slip by, and then end up on the other ear. gaaah, 16,000 lbs and we were like a cork bobbing around.
everything went ok, but i wouldn't want worse, 30 knots is my max, at least with waves like that. the wind was no problem you just pull in canvas, but there were times when it was hard to even stand.
it's good to find what one's comfort limit is, without busting everything.

what amazed me was that tracy didn't flinch; i kept asking if she wanted to go in, but no, she was willing to ride it out. we came in when i started getting scared (the wind and waves were building, not slackening as forecast). she was also a big help. i want to do this stuff on my own, but when you are tacking and the boat is heeling like hell, and the waves are knocking you about, it's nice to have someone else slacken the mainsheet while you helm and drag the genny over.
364 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

our life afloat:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Doncha love it when the forecast is wrong? As far as the rolling in beam seas, I think that's due to boat design. Oh Joy doesn't roll much in beam seas with canvas aloft. She just kinda bobs up and down with the waves at the same angle. Were these breaking seas? What were the wind speeds? Nice to see ya have willing crew and that you're broadening your horizons, sailing wise.
Old 12-26-2007

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Might wann look in getting those jack lines and harness or do you think you could rescue or be rescued in those conditions??
Old 12-26-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Hoffa,
I checked out your website and I saw that you and your wife are parked at a marina in the PNW. A question occurred to me as I read through it... Why haven't you and your wife really gone anywhere in that beautiful boat of yours? I might have missed the answer to my question in your narrative... but now I'm curious.
Old 12-26-2007

i don't see any design bobbing up and down, at least not in short, steep waves like these, but what do in know? the wind was gusting to about 30 knots

the reason we haven't gone beyond the gulf islands is that we have only had the boat since july, and 6 weeks of that it was being repaired from the prop wrap, which just about ended the season up here. tracy also just started a new job so she is limited in her holiday time.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 12-26-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Looks like you've got a "keeper" in Tracy, hoffa. Big props to her for sure.

The tidal currents outside Victoria Harbour, and esp towards Trial Island or out at Race Rocks can create some very nasty sea conditions, with upwellings, sudden holes in the ocean etc. Juan de Fuca is always a body of water that deserves even more respect than normal.

Good for you both, trying things out in this weather at this time of year.
Old 12-26-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Hoffa,
Sounds like the two of you have a nice life aboard together... A salute to you and your lovely wife for your sense of adventure! Hope the new year brings you both big fun and prosperity...
Old 12-26-2007

alanporter is on a distinguished road
I live within sight of Ogden Point breakwater and I have never seen spray going up 40 feet. When was this supposed event precisely ?
Old 12-27-2007

we went today because there's only one way i know of to get experience in difficult conditions, and i would rather get that experience outside of victoria harbour than in some remote location. at any point we were within 20 minutes of ducking back in if it got worse (which it did, and then got better. there was even hail today)

alanporter , the spray was hitting the breakwater and doubling the height in the biggest waves. the breakwater looked like about 20 feet to me. did you see us out there? except for the pilot boat, there was no one else

thanks, Sg and the same to you and yours.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 12-27-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Most boats can take more than the crew; there is no reason to prove otherwise unless you are getting experience for future sailing (or writing I suppose). I've come to enjoy your post, on topic and off topic - stick around and make some more - that's your home you are throwing around out there!

I hope to heck I never have to sail in winds over 30kts - I'm sure my boat will handle it as many Gemini's have.