SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Boat Lettering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/3949-boat-lettering.html)

wannasail 04-28-2002 05:55 AM

Boat Lettering

New owner of a 1984 Irwin 38'' Cutter.
Will be renaming her and will be using boat lettering.
West Marine supplied me with brochure and have picked what I want.
PROBLEM:
There is a sligt ARC below the upper trim paint. The West Marina brochure shows an ARC which they cite as light, medium or heavy.
Has any Irwin owner ordered from West marine and if so would the light ARC fit. I''m using a total of 13 letters in the name.
Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated.

BigZ 04-28-2002 07:34 PM

Boat Lettering

If you have a sign maker shop in your city they can usually make vinyl lettering for boats at good prices. Just trace your arc and they will be able to match it.

Irwin32 04-28-2002 09:08 PM

Boat Lettering

Going through a local sign maker will be LOTS cheaper than West.

halyardz 04-28-2002 11:33 PM

Boat Lettering

Just completed task on my Tartan 33. I agree that you should visit your local sign person. The "raw" material is basically the same no matter where you go but I opted to have them install it! It was well worth the few bucks extra. I too have a slight arc/curve to the upper transom and it was very tricky to position. Local sign shops also have greater variety in typeface designs.

Just a couple of notes: a shadow effect might cost you extra, also takes up a bit more horizontal space; avoid ****** if you have a documented boat (IMHO); boat name for a transom your size could be about 6-6.5" with hailing port 4"; polish surface before application but wax "after"; while typeface designs are a preference call, the basic sans serifs look pretty plain, on the other hand extreme serif fonts can look too cluttered. You should get out of the deal, with their application for under $200.

HHJ 05-06-2002 08:52 AM

Boat Lettering

Before you commit to anything, try McKenzie Oerting in Florida. Find their website, check them out and let them know what you want. I found them extremely helpful and accomodating, their product was first-class and I was able to apply the lettering myself with no trouble, and I''m all thumbs when it comes to that kind of work.

Sailmc 05-06-2002 09:50 AM

Boat Lettering

There is no need to look for a marine supplier for vinyl boat graphics. Just look in your local yellow pages for any sign shop. They will do the same thing for you for less money.

mikehoyt 05-07-2002 05:24 AM

Boat Lettering

Go to your local Yacht Club and speak to teh Yard Master. He will tell you who letters most of the boats in your area.

I took a digital picture of my boat to the sign shop and they used that to choose any applicable arc.

Very affordable and very pleasant experience. I have used them for two boats now.

Mike

wannasail 05-07-2002 04:27 PM

Boat Lettering

To all who responded thanks. All info. was most helpful.