Common sense, sailing and the poor bastards that risk their lifes for it - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Common sense, sailing and the poor bastards that risk their lifes for it

Is it just me or there seems to be an enormous lack of COMMON SENSE here amidst some of our dear members??

I don't know...I am really amazed how the statistics are so low...and the amount of accidents is so small...

I mean, the amount of postings I read here, that make me nod and become a harder prayer, from people that seem to just venture into the "unknown" just for the heck of it...or to get the "training", without first learning to "walk"...

Some posts here, I just think to my self..."there goes another one that's going to kill himself...."

I don't know....where I come from, no one gets on a boat without first getting to sail school, go thru the full course, get the appropriate sailing licence....then go....but when we go, we're prepared, we control everything except the weather...that one we learn to "read"...

I have nothing against suicidal people, as long as they don't drag others with them, which is normally not the case...want to kill yourself?? good luck, be quick and don't bleed too much, its disgusting...the problem is risking the lifes of those truing to stop you from bleeding....if you want to kill yourself, do it far away, where no one risks for you....and pleeeese do it alone...leave the spouses at home, they don't need to see you trembling when the blood cools down, besides they need to marry another more inteligent stronger human being, since you were a "bad horse" to bet on.....

I am amazed, maybe its just me....

Anyway, I am almost signing off, till next year, so be safe, and please, first know your limits, and learn to walk before you start runing....does't hurt so much when you fall and we don't have to stop the race to pick you up....

Last edited by Giulietta; 12-28-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2007
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
It's not just you.

But you're quite lucky, most of "them" don't seem to make it as far as Portugal.
Old 12-28-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Barlow View Post
It's not just you.

But you're quite lucky, most of "them" don't seem to make it as far as Portugal.
Most of them wouldn't be allowed to sail here anyway...you need a sailing "driving licence", and to get one...only by going to NAVY sailing school, pass all the exams, and have a minimal sailing lessons, in most conditions. And let me tell you, it's pretty hard and time consuming.

maybe that's why we're "protected".....
Old 12-28-2007
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
Giu, I think the license requirement is only for nationals not foreigners.
Old 12-28-2007

The Navy in Portugal requires visitors into the country, to declare themselves to the customs.

As far as licencing, it requires a boat inspection upon arrival by the sea police, customs and fiscal police, and the captain must hold a licence of the Country of origin, if in his country it is mandatory by law.

An American can sail here for 6 months, as long as its in his boat. If he has no licence and his caught capitaining other than his boat he gets arrested and the boat too.

meaning you can sail here, coming from a country without required licencing, but on a boat from same country, and you can not sail other boat as captain.

Insurance is mandatory.
Old 12-28-2007

petegingras is on a distinguished road
Yep I’d concede that the free societies have breed myriad problems and allowed some to exploit those evils. I’d like to consider that no one purposely does harm to oneself in an effort to drain public resources.

I think Giu, your point is how deep does the public’s interest concern the regulating bodies that universal suffrage has bestowed us all.

Where I write from minority voices can be heard to banish the regulators, and let those that need regulation regulate themselves.

But I truly believe that sailing is the only true adventure left for some time to come.

So yes, good luck to those seeking to harm themselves. Oh ya, the USGC sometimes requires the rest of us to lend assistance to those harming themselves.

p.s. nice video work, make the site they're posted on known to the subject of this thread
Old 12-28-2007

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Hey Giu, maybe it's my arrogance, but I can't help but

think that you might be referring to me - at least partially.

I want to say that I do not think of myself as suicidal. I do not want to harm others. I think I have (and use) common sense.

I do not want my wife to marry a better horse.

While I agree that, for some, lessons and licensing is not a bad idea. You just have to look at the number of automobile accidents that happen around the world to see that just having a government issued license does not make you good at something.

I teach. I would like to think that the only way to be successful in the trade in which I teach is to be taught by me or someone like me. But it has been proven time and again that the most successful people in my trade do not have any formal training.

I strongly believe that a certificate or license only indicates that you were able to satisfy the requirements of the licensing body on the day you earned the certificate. (Most University grads cannot even remember the names of their professors 4 years after they graduate).

For me to learn I have to do. Ideally I would be 'doing' under the guidance of somebody with more experience. And when I have that luxury I definitely take advantage of it. Unfortunately there is not always somebody around to teach me, so I take my tiller in hand and teach myself. The alternative is to keep my boat tied to the dock.

I have taken a course on boating and learned a lot about plotting cruises, navigation etc. I intend to take more courses. I would also like to crew for some of the local races.

I believe that, for me, this is the best way for me to learn. I know that taking a formal sailing course would be an exercise in frustration for me and would probably be counter-productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Is it just me or there seems to be an enormous lack of COMMON SENSE here amidst some of our dear members??

I don't know...I am really amazed how the statistics are so low...and the amount of accidents is so small...

I mean, the amount of postings I read here, that make me nod and become a harder prayer, from people that seem to just venture into the "unknown" just for the heck of it...or to get the "training", without first learning to "walk"...

Some posts here, I just think to my self..."there goes another one that's going to kill himself...."

I don't know....where I come from, no one gets on a boat without first getting to sail school, go thru the full course, get the appropriate sailing licence....then go....but when we go, we're prepared, we control everything except the weather...that one we learn to "read"...

I have nothing against suicidal people, as long as they don't drag others with them, which is normally not the case...want to kill yourself?? good luck, be quick and don't bleed too much, its disgusting...the problem is risking the lifes of those truing to stop you from bleeding....if you want to kill yourself, do it far away, where no one risks for you....and pleeeese do it alone...leave the spouses at home, they don't need to see you trembling when the blood cools down, besides they need to marry another more inteligent stronger human being, since you were a "bad horse" to bet on.....

I am amazed, maybe its just me....

Anyway, I am almost signing off, till next year, so be safe, and please, first know your limits, and learn to walk before you start runing....does't hurt so much when you fall and we don't have to stop the race to pick you up....
Old 12-28-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Whether some of this thread was intended for me is not the point of my response. Common sense is something you're born with. It's not acquired. Detailed, purposeful methodology used to increase one's skills is developed from lessons hard won and life's experience. Not suicidal tendency. Telling the tales of adventure is a character flaw, or not, depending on your perspective. Sometimes it's simple sharing and hoping someone out there has been, seen, felt the same. Regardless, enjoy your Holidays Alex and don't let frustration with some crazy Americans run ya off. Some of us really are a bit off ya know, it's what makes us who we are. No apologies there.

Last edited by CharlieCobra; 12-28-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2007

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Starting this thread didn't show much common sense. Common sense should tell us when to back away from the keyboard.
Old 12-28-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Siamese, if ya hang around and read enough of Alex's posts, you'll find him to be a passionate, outspoken person who says what he feels, sometimes whether it's a good idea or not. The one constant is honesty. The man will tell ya what he thinks, feels and I for one, appreciate that.