Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007

Dihydro77 is on a distinguished road
amazing how fast this sailboat goes down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWfru...eature=related
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
CRIKEY!

Seriously, the AC has become a stupid event more about "how lightly can we build our boat before the weight of the advertising paint snaps it in half?" than of sailing.
Old 12-29-2007
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
are you kidding me?

The boat went down in 18-20 knot winds? I don't race, but still, I was under the impression racing was governed by an ever-changing long list of design paramaters. What level of concern do racing comittees have for safety when this kind of sinking can happen?

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 12-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm...that's what you get for sailing a leadmine (monohull sailboat with keel)...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-29-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
The boat went down in 18-20 knot winds? I don't race, but still, I was under the impression racing was governed by an ever-changing long list of design paramaters. What level of concern do racing comittees have for safety when this kind of sinking can happen?
These were not extreme conditions at all. This was, as Val intimated, a classic case of "designing to the edge" but in this case the went over that edge.

The hull structure was unable to withstand the enormous stresses due to rig tension, causing the boat to essentially fold in half. With a ballast ratio close to 70%, it's not gonna float for long.

There's no way the race committee can be held responsible for what happened here.
Old 12-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Faster-

You know the race committee is gonna get blamed anyways...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-29-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Some of the other videos there were interesting also.
Old 12-29-2007
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

There's no way the race committee can be held responsible for what happened here.
I guess my use of the word 'committee' was incorrect. Aren't there strict rules governing design, or is design more flexible?

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 12-29-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
I guess my use of the word 'committee' was incorrect. Aren't there strict rules governing design, or is design more flexible?
There are no rules governing design, and few governing engineering and construction guidelines (scantlings) which is what is at issue here. There are standards, such as ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council), that manufacturers can choose to follow. If their methods pass ABYC audits, then they can so advertise and that should be an indication of quality.

In an environment like the America's Cup, everyone is grasping for that last advantage, minimum weight within the class rules,, maximum power and speed etc. In this instance, they clearly went too far. It has been said (only half jokingly) that the "perfectly engineered" race boat would not disintegrate until just after winning the final race.
Old 12-29-2007

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
This is supposed to be cutting edge sailboat racing. These boats should be pushing design limits. If there is an occasional failure, then that's a part of the extreme engineering process.

These aren't production boats - they are designed to race under controlled circumstances and, as an America's Cup contender, pushing rules and design limits is part of the heritage.

I don't want my Honda Accord suffering a catastrophic failure, but if it happens to an F1 car pushing the limits of innovative design, then it's OK.

Plus, it makes cool videos.