Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007
brass monkey

bluetommy77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post

There is a harder class to discern, however, and that includes the pessimists and the doom-sayers who have the skills (or at least some of them), but who always worry and fret about breaking gear, bad weather, logs in the water, fees at the club, etc. Sailing, even as a farting-around recreation, isn't for the timid or the easily discouraged, and I wonder why these guys bother, as it's always such a trial for them to actually enjoy the process.
i really like that one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Hoffa-

You really have to just stop... now this means you have to give one of us here on sailnet your boat, and then buy an RV for you and Tracy to live in.
i will always sail, but our current boat is and always was an experiment. i've had as much fun in dinghies to be honest, although that's comparing carrots to condoms. i've kept my eyes out and there are a number of wonderful old wooden stinkpots out there that would make far better liveaboard accommodations than fainleog. she is a fantastic all around object: coastal cruiser, good enough for offshore, well made, gorgeous inside, a fairly comfortable home, but because she is so good all around, it means she doesn't do any one thing all that well. a 60 foot stinkpot with no engine would make a much better liveaboard for example. a westsail 32 would do better offshore. a catalina 36 would be more suitable for coastal cruising.

so many things to consider. i have of course thought about living in an rv because it's such a simple existence, but you would get pushed around a lot more; you need a place open all year round that you can live in; they exist but are not common.

unlike most folks here, my boat is central to a whole lifestyle and way of being, not a recreational object.

but as relates to my original posting, i'm surprised that no one has mentioned gender. isn't it possible that one the reasons more dudes are in boats than women is because women are too emotional and sensitive, and would get overwhelmed by situations that the average lunkheaded male would just go "that was awesome, man, lets do it again..."
364 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

our life afloat:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
Just as a point of reference, Holigan's Wake is the name of a famous poem and later a popular folk song. It was written as a rpley to and pastiche of Finnegan's Wake.

'Just saying.

Sasha
Old 12-31-2007
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Ambiguous emotions

I have read all the previous posts with a mixture of agreement, introspection ("was I that guy he was talking about") and a little apprehension.

While I agree that we all know people behind the wheel (these people are rarely behind the tiller of a small boat) who shouldn't be in charge of 10,000 lbs of inertia on the water, I would certainly have a hard time determining just who that is. We all started as beginners, and have mastered (or not) certain skills at different rates. After all, here in the States we let people drive, manage their own money, and even be president who probably do not have the aptitude.

Overall, I generally feel excited and encouraged to see others try sailing, and hope they fall in love with it as much as I have. Fortunately, unlike driving a car or running a country, not too many people get seriously injured when a total incompetent is behind the wheel of a yacht. I am just glad those people tried sailing as a vocation instead of surgery!

Besides, I still hope that none of the prior comments were about my learning to sail trips......
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 12-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You might want to re-phrase this if Tracy reads sailnet... it sounds like you're saying that women are too hysterical to deal with sailing... and that's probably not where you want to be going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
...i'm surprised that no one has mentioned gender. isn't it possible that one the reasons more dudes are in boats than women is because women are too emotional and sensitive, and would get overwhelmed by situations that the average lunkheaded male would just go "that was awesome, man, lets do it again..."

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-01-2008

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
You might want to re-phrase this if Tracy reads sailnet... it sounds like you're saying that women are too hysterical to deal with sailing... and that's probably not where you want to be going.
she doesn't, but if she did she would know where i'm coming from
there are some things that it helps to be a cold, unemotional block of wood. for example, i could never be a cop or a paramedic. when i was the first guy at an accident on the coquihalla a couple of winters ago, i had to reach into the vehicle and feel for a dead man's pulse. then i went home and cried.
fortunately i can hold it together while sailing, but tracy has a much more difficult time doing so, at least in the past (i was very, very surprised when she requested to go out with me last week). she can get quite nervous and we have agreed that i do the helming, docking and taking responsibility; she does as i request. she could do everything i do, but gets too anxious.

i suspect that women are far more likely to fall into that category. in fact, i've met two women in the last month alone who couldn't even come below because of claustrophobia.

this isn't denigrating women; a world with more sensitive souls and fewer hooligan's wakes would be a far better place, imo.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 01-01-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
After...

After saving a brand new 34 foot Sea Ray from careening into a 750k Hinckley with my RIB and 4hp motor battling 13-14 knots of wind, barely holding steady and making no head way forward or backward the owner, finally and very casually rowed back to his boat from shore. He had been having a "picnic" on the island and watched as the Hinckley got closer and closer to his boat.

When he arrived on the scene, with everyone in the anchorage yelling at him, this was the gist of the conversation.

Sea Ray: Why are you trying to move my boat?

Me: Because your anchor is dragging and your about to hit a 3/4 of a million dollar boat.

Sea Ray: I have a brand new anchor and it's fine! They are the ones moving towards me!

Me: Well Sir you are actually up current and up wind of them so it's physically impossible for the sailboat to be dragging into you unless the laws of physics have recently changed..

Sea Ray: Well I have to go put steak on the fire it seems like it stopped moving.

Me: Listen buddy it's not moving because my little motor is barely holding it here and about to run out of gas!

Sea Ray: Well what do you want me to do?

Me: It's not what I want you to do, I'm up wind of you..

Sea Ray: Should I move?

Me: You should weigh anchor and re-set it with proper scope.

Sea Ray: I don't have a scope

At this point I just wanted him on the boat so he could let out some more scope, or rope, as I realized I needed to call it as to prevent him going on the rocks. By this point the Hinckley and one other boat had moved and the folks on the last boat were ready to go at a moments notice.

My wife snapped the picture below before I actually had to take over the helm of his boat and set the anchor for him. He was so inept that he could not even back a TWIN SCREW straight enough to actually set the anchor. After ten minutes of explaining anchor setting, the concept of scope and how to back and steer his own twin screw boat he looked at me and said "Maybe I'll buy a bigger anchor."

With that I turned and left and he never even said thank you..... This fool had a 45 pound Delta Fast Set but had been trying to set it on about a 1:5:1 scope. To make matters worse he didn't even know he had a scope on the boat!! The folks on the Hinckley made it up to us though by bringing over fresh baked cookies later that evening!

So in summary yes some people should not be boating! Heck this guy should not even be procreating..!!

Need I say more!!!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-01-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-01-2008
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
The argument has been presented here is whether people get enough training or not, the process of learning (experience vs formal book learning etc.), but I'm wondering if some folks just don't belong on the water. I'm not talking if the skipper is a junkie or alcoholic, but whether they are too emotional, have too short a fuse, or are psychopathic and don't give a damn about others on the water, that kind of thing.
I not been on here long. I feel, in time, people will respect what I say, as I have some stories.

When I was younger, I worked for 2 different boat dealers over the years (Military in between). Some lack common sense and thus disrespect the advice of others that want to care and help, in an exciting learning experience.

We had a boat, 1987 at the dealer. I knew the man who built this boat. I went to school with his daughter. (OK, we not go there). He raced cars and was dang good, trophies and all. He had this "Jet Boat" he traded in on Sailboat for the family.

Now, this jet boat he had built to race! Hemi with a 4-barrel built for the Dual Carbs and Blower to top it off. We sold the boat as it was and the Intake, carbs and blower a car racer bought.

I knew this man personally who had built this engine, he was good and it was an awesome boat, I was even scared of to WOT! It would top out around 100-120 mph depending on conditions (I want to slap that blower and carbs on so much).

The man bought the boat, picked it up on Friday. I try to explain this boat and that he should get it out away from others and get the feel for how awesome it was. He says; "Yea, yea, I drove boats before"!

OK, great you the man!

Monday I come to work, get the keys to the gate as always. Walk around back and there the boat! My God! The stupid, fool, f***, dumb crap!!!
The Bow was smashed, engine laying sideways in the boat! Well, he did not want the boat anymore!

We sold the engine to the same guy bought the Intake, dual carbs and blower. I put the jet pump on a friend's boat. Scraped the boat, and it was pretty!

Now, "The rest of the story"! This crap, cut another boat in ˝ and was very lucky those people knew to abandon ship!

So, I assume you may refer to the Giu Thread and I supported it. I not saying a License or whatever. I just feel people need to take the head from the A$$ and start looking and caring about other people that are around them!

I could say a lot, but, over time you all can glean from what I try to input!
Old 01-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Halekai-

ROFL... what a jackass... nice of the Hinckley folks to bring cookies... that's the least they could do.

Two questions: did you call the coast guard on this idiot...who is obviously a hazard to navigation... and are you in the White shirt or the Yellow???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-01-2008
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
Me: You should weigh anchor and re-set it with proper scope.

Sea Ray: I don't have a scope
Classic!

Commodore, OPBYC