Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Halekai-

ROFL... what a jackass... nice of the Hinckley folks to bring cookies... that's the least they could do.

Two questions: did you call the coast guard on this idiot...who is obviously a hazard to navigation... and are you in the White shirt or the Yellow???
Yellow shirt.... Now imaging that dinghy trying to push that boat into 13-14 knots of wind...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How many horsepower on the dink motor??? In any case, that suckers got a lot of windage... Must have been a lot of fun...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-01-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
Jewell Island? Oh,wait. Wrong thread!

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 01-01-2008

Dunlookn has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Bought a new motorcycle once when I was stationed at Ft. Sill, OK. Asked the dealer to go over the thing (shaft drive) so that I had a level of comfort with new technology.

He laughed saying he had a "no it all" who came in the week prior and purchased a $ 15,000.00 road hog. The purchaser declined any orientation and stated he had driven motorcycles all his life.

He promptly started the bike, drove over the median and was struck by a pick-up. Bike totaled, idiot only skinned.

I am confidant about my level of sailing knowledge. I am always aware about what I don't know...that I need to know.

This site helps me fill those gaps and learn about how to be a better sailor

I am always concerned about the fools who know nothing, and the idiots who beleive they know everything.

Not all of these people are on the water...it just seems like it.

I think a mandatory basic boating course is a step in the right direction.
Old 01-01-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
How many horsepower on the dink motor??? In any case, that suckers got a lot of windage... Must have been a lot of fun...

4 hp.. And yes it was Jewell Island...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That boat is about 15,000 lbs with more windage than a comparable sailboat due to the massive freeboard... you were lucky you could move it at all, much less not get blown back trying that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
4 hp.. And yes it was Jewell Island...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-01-2008

TThomsen is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE]Origionally posted by
i'm wary of posting this with all the raw passions out there, but what the hell. running with scissors
do people think that there some folks out there, that due to call it "character unsuitability", who just might not be able to be sailors?[/QUOTE

I do think that there are people that can not learn to sail.

I once was a flying instructor and had a couple of students that were never going to learn. One was a College Prof and the other was the nicest guy you could meet, but neither had it or would ever get it.

I do not think that Alex were insinuating that you were in this category.

As for Tracy take her out in 10-15 kt wind not 35.

A friend once got interested in sailing after talking to me and took a few lessons in Yellowknife. One day he came up and told me that he had rented a boat in Comox and was taking his girlfriend for a three week sail in the area. I knew her well and she was in her mid 40's, didn't swim and didn't really like water. I suggested that did not do that but rather go to the Carib. and spend three week in the sun having fun rather that being cold and wet. She did not like being cold much. She loved sailing and learned to swim.http://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Today they are slowly working their way around Cape Horn in a Valiant 40 and sailing about three month out of the year.
Old 01-01-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Millions get some pleasure from golf. Despite hacking and slicing their way around, they aspire to one day get a par, or perhaps break a hundred. It would be churlish indeed for a more expert player to deride their efforts and the pleasure they take in it despite the frustrations and imperfections.
The world would be a poorer place if only those capable of a professional standard were allowed to sing or dance. One can recognise talent in others yet still sing in the shower with impunity. Those with talent and humility will encourage and support, recognising that others share the same pleasure.
Old 01-01-2008
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
Millions get some pleasure from golf. Despite hacking and slicing their way around, they aspire to one day get a par, or perhaps break a hundred. It would be churlish indeed for a more expert player to deride their efforts and the pleasure they take in it despite the frustrations and imperfections.
The world would be a poorer place if only those capable of a professional standard were allowed to sing or dance. One can recognise talent in others yet still sing in the shower with impunity. Those with talent and humility will encourage and support, recognising that others share the same pleasure.
I respectfully disagree. Equating golf to sailing is like equating piano playing to flying.
Old 01-01-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
I would be counted among those who heartily agree with Chris Gee. I have read several articles in sailing magazines about handicapped sailors, who sail for sheer enjoyment. They will never sail singlehanded around the world, enter America's Cup races, or live aboard as full time cruisers, but I would never deny them the same admiration, courtesy, and access to the thrill of sailing that the world's best deserve. I would deny those pleasures to those who lack courtesy and/or common sense, and suffucient nautical knowledge to be able to securely anchor their vessel, watch their wake, and avoid hurting other people or property.
BTW, although I do not legally qualify as handicapped, I have virtually zero depth perception. I love to sail, have done so for 40 years, and plan to live on our 37 foot Endeavour sailboat when I retire. I know my limitations, so my wife is usually at the helm when we dock or raft up to others. I can do it with extreme caution, but my wife does it more easily! And if your wife does not do it occasionally, what will she do if you are incapacitated? Strokes, heart attacks, or even severe hangovers may happen at any time!