Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Could you let this happen to yours?

Strolling around a nearby marina this past weekend, I was struck by the number of boats that were so obviously "forgotten"... Granted this time of year we are a very damp climate, but some of these boats look like they haven't seen a brush in a hell of a long time.

Examples:

And this poor strip-planked L-36 (historically one of the winningest Swiftsure Race designs).. Hope no one is planning any voyages soon....

This marina is a bit tough to get to (ferry required) but even so, I can't imagine ever letting a boat get to that state.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I had a Chase 36? next to me in everett. I never in the 14 months there, saw anyone touch the boat. It had more black junk on it that you would believe. Where I am at now, and have for about 18 months, there are two Erickson 27's that also have not been moved, or any one been on. Also a beautiful 30'r that I wish I could remember the brand that has been covered for about 12 months, and not moved in over 3-4 yrs per the guy doing the covering. This boat is owned by an 80 yr old or there abouts fellow, no longer able to sail, but keeps the boat. The other three, not sure whom owns them. Not sure why these folks pay the $4-500 a yr for insuranance, license etc, along with the $250-300 for moorage a month, if they are not going to use said boats! Talk about a hole in the water or well!

marty
Old 01-02-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Cool.. post your "best" pics! Just to be fair, don't discount the likely hood that the owners may be battling a terminal disease or some other horrible situation. Unfortunately that happens to the best of em far too often. However there are those who need a face slap. I went to look at a Chrysler 26 advertised for $1500. The owner told me over the phone to go down and take a look. He forgot to tell me meth-heads were living on it!

Old 01-02-2008
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
many times boats are left.. Marinas can't get rid of them because the owners are Gone, skipped, or can't be reached. It's a big problem too!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Damn....those first boats look like they haven't been taken care of or visited for months.

Denise makes a good point.. often owners decide that paying their marina bills are more than the boat is worth...and just abandon them. However, some states, like Massachusetts, have made it easier for marinas to take title to abandoned boats and dispose of them as they can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-02-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
What a bunch of disgusting photos! Ugh!
Old 01-02-2008

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
that first one is a hell of a lot of boat to leave like that. but all too true; boats are easy to acquire and can be hard to unload, and they can cost thousands to bring up to anything like they should be. i wonder how many guys thought they bought a bargain dream and ended with an expensive nightmare, and so just walked.
you have to try fixing up a boat before you really get just how crazy expensive it is.

also some guys just can't let go of things once they have them. i have a relative who has a runabout that he bought cheap as a project over twenty years ago, and he spends $50.00/month keeping it in open storage. i doubt he could even give it away now it's so rotten, but he doesn't even try. what makes it crazy is he doesn't even boat
364 feet

our life afloat:

Last edited by HoffaLives; 01-02-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Hey. Any ya'll know a good diver?

Old 01-02-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
I have one that puts that all to shame..its in Bellingham I will take a pic this weekend.

Sab30
Old 01-02-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
Hey. Any ya'll know a good diver?

They dont need a diver, they need a landscaper...very said!

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM