SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Need infor on anchor/mooring GA/SC Coast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/3966-need-infor-anchor-mooring-ga-sc-coast.html)

rlcham 04-30-2002 02:04 PM

Need infor on anchor/mooring GA/SC Coast

I am looking at a boat and need to know short of putting in a marina, what are my options. Prefer within 50 miles of Savannah GA. Can I just anchor it somewhere and if so, how do I find these areas.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Pangaea 04-30-2002 03:28 PM

rlcham,
In alot of places it''s illeagal to leave a boat anchored with no one on board.
What if you are a distance from your boat and a squall comes through? If it were me... I wouldn''t do what you are thinking about. You could wind up with some serious dammage (or worse) to her.

Dennis

colehankins 04-30-2002 05:14 PM

Having grown up in Savannah, I dont think i would just leave a boat moored anywhere. The tides are fast and the storms are big and the crime isnt something i would want to deal with. Even with 2 over night security at my old Yacht Club, boats are frequently stolen and worse, sunk. Check if the area has Yacht clubs that have moorings. I love YC''s for the safety and comraderie and the people. besides to get truly great sailing you need looooong spaces of straight wind found mostly offshore. And that is 6 or so miles from most marinas. check on prices in the north basin of skidaway IS

Don Foley 05-06-2002 07:23 PM

To the best of my knowledge (which is generally questionable to start off with) I don''t know of any moorings in GA.

I just pulled into Brunswick, GA, where I''ve found the lowest montly rate I''ve seen for a while ($6.75) and the marina (Brunswick Landing) is pretty nice. Clean restrooms, night security. Good cruising ground too. I generally move every month, but may stay longer here.

Don

gershel 05-07-2002 04:57 PM

Hi Don,I too grew roots when I stopped in Brunswick. Great place,and don''t forget the lounge with the FREE washer & dryer.
Marc

Don Foley 05-07-2002 05:14 PM

They''re FREE? Man, I like this place even more. I''ll need some help loading them into my van, though.

Now all the lounge needs is a free bar and I may never leave.

Don

mariasail 05-09-2002 04:53 PM

I have lived on board for 8 years and have never stayed in a marina. Here in FL some of the cities have tryed to outlaw anchoribng out but more often ahan not the laws have been struck down when taken to court. The maratime law lets you anchour anywhere as long as you are not in the chanel.
I made a moring for my sefl. Two 8 ft augers, the power companies use them to ancher power poles. They get rid of them when they get bent, free of small cost. Then 100 ft of chain. At this point I attached a 55 gal drum filled with concreet and engine parts. Befor filling the drum I put a pice of 2 in ID PVC through the side. I put a shorter pice of chain through the PVC and shackeled it to the chain at the 30 ft point. A swivel and ball at the end. I road out 2 huracines.

camaraderie 05-22-2002 10:56 AM

There is a creek about 1/2 mile south of the Palmer Johnson marina in Thunderbolt that has plenty of depth and room and good holding. I can''t remember the name of it offhand but it is the first creek to starboard as you head south. From there you can take the dinghy to PJ''s and then catch a 75 cent bus ride into Savannah at the stop about 1/2 mile up the road. We spent a night in there last fall and were just fine in about 20 knots of wind. This time of year I''d make sure your screens are good!
Hope this helps...GB

colehankins 05-24-2002 08:47 AM

Its the Herb river. GREAT crabbing and sking watch for the current, it fast and the bottom is muddy