Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Boater Missing on ICW

Yesterday afternoon I heard a strange call from SV Dream Catcher on the VHF to the Coast Guard. He said he was heading south on the ICW just a bit north of Coinjock (mile 50) NC and had just been run into by another sailboat heading north...and there seemed to be no one aboard and the engine was running and a sail was up. Dream Catcher did not stop but was proceding to Coinjock with minor damage.

I asked myself "How in the hell do you get run into by another sailboat on the ICW? " and I still have no answer to that one....BUT..after a few hours a BoatUS boat arrived on the scene and found the larger boat (A Beneteau 47) aground with engine running and sail up. From the enclosed story...sometime between 1:00 and 2:30 yesterday afternoon, the owner went overboard in the narrow, calm and shallow waters of the ICW. The search continues this morning.
Beez and others out there singlehanding...please "buckle up" whenever you are out there alone...regardless of the conditions.

Coast Guard Searching for Missing Boater

Posted By John on January 6th, 2008
PORTSMOUTH, Va. - The Coast Guard is searching for a missing boater after two sailboats collided in the Intracoastal Waterway near Elizabeth City, N.C., today.
Missing is John Martins of Suffolk, Va.
The 33-foot sailboat Dreamcatcher with two people onboard was struck by the 47-foot sailboat Marissa during transit in the I.C.W., at approximately 2:30 p.m. After the collision, the Marissa continued on course without stopping. The owner/operator of the Dreamcatcher notified the Coast Guard that there was no indication of anyone on the Marissa at the time of the collision. The Marissa was later located at 3 p.m. in a marsh by Tow Boat U.S. There was no one present in or around the vessel, but the motor was running and the sails were up. In addition, a wallet belonging to Martins was found.
Martins last spoke to his wife via telephone at approximately 1 p.m. today.
A MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew from Air Station Elizabeth City, and a 21-foot boat crew from Station Elizabeth City are searching.
Old 01-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks for the post Cam... and you're right.. staying on the boat is definitely a good thing if you're singlehanding... so use your tether and harness.

Hey Hoffa, are ya listening...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Or at least wear a working PFD so they can find the body
Old 01-07-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Perhaps a sticky on the proper use of a tether and harness, may be in order.
Old 01-07-2008
On Blocks

Bermuda30 is on a distinguished road
We were out in Tull's Bay and heard the call. Started about 1:30pm Sun. The collision occured (supposedly) at marker 89, we saw the boat grounded in the marsh around Hog island at approximately marker 73. We stayed out til dark to assist with the search, but no one turned up. Not looking good, water temp was 39*, entire area surrounded by marsh.
Old 01-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unfortunately, most boats don't have jacklines run, and without jacklines and the proper hardpoints, like padeyes, a harness and tether are pretty useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Perhaps a sticky on the proper use of a tether and harness, may be in order.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-07-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I sincerely hope they find him, its a fellow sailor.
Old 01-07-2008
Telstar 28

Unless the guy is dressed in a drysuit with lots of fleece on inside it, he's probably in a lot of trouble with water temps as low as they are.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-07-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Because of the shape of my boat (rectangle) vs a mono (pointy at one end or both) I can run a line dead center fore and aft, and another across the cockpit with a 6 ft long tether and never, ever fall off the boat.

I've often wondered how you manage not reach everywhere on a mono and not have a tether than could potentially put you in the drink dragging along beside your boat. I've seen diagrams and remain unconvinced of the basic safety of it.

My previous comments on not wearing a tether because I wear a PFD are based on when and where I sail solo - warm water, busy Chesapeake Bay - cell phone in a zippy in my pocket. Might not be the best answer, but it's one I can live with.
Unfortunately with 39 degree water we've probably lost this sailor, even with a PFD he had minutes to get out and start warming up.
Old 01-07-2008
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post

I've often wondered how you manage not reach everywhere on a mono and not have a tether than could potentially put you in the drink dragging along beside your boat. I've seen diagrams and remain unconvinced of the basic safety of it.
The primary purpose of a tether system is to keep you with your boat (the logic being that it's better than the alternative), not to keep you on your boat.