Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008

amayotte is on a distinguished road
What about the Pearson 27

Hello,

I am looking at buying a Pearson 27 and before I do so I'm trying to find as much info on the boat as possible, but am hitting some walls.
There seems to be lots of dedicated site to other pearson boats but none for the 27.
I've found some mailing lists with broken links and some pics but nothing in depth, detailing how the boat really sails and what kind of problems to expect having one.
I'm a novice sailor and my biggest concern is how well it single hands and how well the boat is balanced and such.
Anyone here know of who I could try and talk to about this or a site that I may have missed?

Thanks,
Adam
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2008

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Some thoughts

No personal knowledge of the P27. But in looking at the brochure on the Pearsoninfo.net it looks like the jib and mainsheets are well forward of the helm, making it a pain to singlehand this boat.

I have a P35 that I singlehand quite frequently. My jib sheet wenches are on either side of the helm and my mainsheet is behind the helm giving me easy access to all my sheets without having to move from the wheel to tack or make adjustments. Also, if you're going to singlehand a lot an autopilot is a huge help, especially in raising and lowering the sails. Same for furling jib.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Adam,

I owned a P-27 for 14 years, single-handing it for most of that time. It's an easy boat to single-hand, especially with an autopilot. True, the winches and mainsheet are forward, but that's when the autopilot earns its keep. I could tack the boat by myself very easily by holding both sheets and then turning the wheel to the new tack. The boat balances well, and can definitely take more than you can. There are a couple of other current P-27 owners who hand out on this BB, but I'll send you a PM for how to sign up for an email list that has about 75 P-27 owners on it who will be glad to answer any questions you have.

As for what to look for in buying one, I honestly an not aware of any recurring problem areas with the boats. They are solid and well mannered underway.

My current boat is a P-33-2, so obviously I like Pearson's.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-12-2008

amayotte is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies.

It's a touch decision. I'm trying to decide between a Chrysler 26 and a pearson 27 and the lake I sail has a fair chunk of reefs and islands. I just love the interior of the Pearson.

SailorMitch, any idea how well the 12HP yanmar hold up when docking in heavy heavy weather?

SailorMitch, I also joined the mailing list and sent of a couple of questions the day you sent me the addresss.
I haven't heard anything and am wondering if the list is working or maybe I did it wrong.
I just emailed the same address as the one I subscribed to and have yet to get a reply. Is that normal. Could I be looking at a few weeks before seeing a reply.
Is there a place where email archives are kept that I might search for an answer?

Thanks all,
Adam
Old 01-12-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
I looked at a Chrysler 26 before buying my P-27 and there is no comparison in my mind. I love my P-27. it is a fun boat that handles really well and has so much interior room for a boat it's size. I have not seen any emails from the list in the last few days so it may be down. That happens now and then. usually you get your own email back within a few minutes.
Old 01-12-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Adam -- I responded to your email and think I answered everything. The email list does not have an archive feature unfortunately. Jacky -- if you don't get my email I just sent to the list please let me know. The email list is on a new server and hopefully the down time is a thing of the past.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-12-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
I didn't get it so there must still be some bugs. I will email you also to let you know
Old 01-12-2008
phallo 1, Gustav 0

phallo153 is on a distinguished road
I haven't had an email from the list since 12/19!

12 hp is plenty of power, I have a Universal M2-12 in mine.

Click here to download the user's manual, plenty of info in it for you. I also keep a blog, link is in my signature.

I don't know anything about the Chrysler, but you won't be disappointed in the P27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2008

blakew1 is on a distinguished road
Get the Pearson!!!
Old 01-13-2008
"Nevis Nice"

hphoen is on a distinguished road
I chartered a Pearson 27 out of Annapolis with two buds, and we had a variety of wind conditions during the course of our four day charter. Nice little boat! She sailed and motored well, but seemed a bit tender in gusty winds, but reefing down made her very manageable.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you buy one.