Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Maybe Steel rules... after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Sasha, having stepped aboard a few for-sale Roberts home-builts, I understand your concern. I feel fairly confident that my one-off was done right, because I have extensively documented provenance for it and know that it was welded up by an obsessive German fellow a little upset that he was too young to have worked in a Messerschmitt factory.

Yes, it is possible to find crap steel boats out there made from indifferently smelted Chinese bicycle frames and rolled by steelworkers with Parkinson's and only one good eye. I've seen them. But at the same time, I saw a lot of new Hunters at the boat show today, and they all pass survey...just not my survey (I liked the Tartan 4300, though...the Beneteaux, less so...)

You rely on common sense, Eyeball Mark One, a reputable surveyor, and then you pays your money and takes your chances....which is why I also stopped at the Furuno booth to ask about stand-alone RADAR packages that could hook into PC-based chartplotters along with AIS data.
You know how good steel is the first time you try cut it with the torch. Any lamination and it spits molten metal right back at you. No one would accept that in any case without sending it right back to the supplier. I haven't sent that in over 40 years of metal boat building. Bad mild steel is as rare as hens teeth.
The worst built steel boat would sail right thru a Hunter, Beneteau or Tartan without suffering anything more than paint damage. The Gringo picture makes that quite clear.
You could kick any of the far too many fragile plastic thru hulls off a Beneteau without much effort. You'd break your foot without damaging the stainless thru hulls welded into a steel hull. Ditto most other gear welded on a steel hull.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Sasha-

True, but you're talking about a specific exceptional case. I'd hope that a steel boat was made with higher quality steel than that. If the steel is a decent quality, it will not rust from the inside out. I've spent a enough time working in a machine shop where aluminum, steel, bronze, and stainless steel are worked to know that good steel just doesn't rust from the inside out.
Steel only rusts form the inside out when the builder doesn't bother to paint the inside ( Like Foulkes Fehr, Amazon, etc) Commercial builders are mostly only interested in getting it out the door and the buyer has no idea of any paint under the spray foam. Spray foam is not protection for the inside of a steel hull. Only at least three coats of epoxy tar will do that. Did that with my boat 29 years ago, and the steel under the foam, anywhere I have looked, is as good as the day I painted it.
I have seen Foulkes boats with zero paint in the bilge, just mill scale, then heavily flaking rust. NO excuse for that!
Here in BC , most amateur built steel sailboats are far better built than most commercially built steel sail boats. In fact, most commercially built steel sailboats here are disasters.
Even the worst mild steel welds are far tougher than fibreglass, and certainly a lot tougher than the copper fastenings in wood every few inches, used to hold wooden boats together, for thousands of years .

Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-07-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

That damage doesn't look right for some reason, you would think the crushing would have been across the deck and from the toe rail down instead of the waterline up with no deck damage, you would think that the sailboat would have rolled down by starboard and under the bow of the freighter simply do to the angle of the freighters bow.

What??, this thread is 5 yrs old......... sorry

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 10-07-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Brent, is Gringo one of yours? If the boat had had conventional framing do you think it would have deformed and absorbed the impact or would the skin have sheared at the frames?

At any rate, the photo certainly makes a compelling argument for the strength of steel!
Old 10-07-2013
Kayaker/Dreamer

Resolute_ZS is on a distinguished road

So Brent, you triple-posted in a five year old thread? Newbie mistake, man.

capttb likes this.
Old 10-07-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Does anybody see that this damage is kind of odd? If it was hit by a ship, it would have to be a pretty big ship, because the bow of the ship never hit what we can see of the hull. If this is damage from a ship, it has to be from the bulb on the bow at the waterline, and the sailboat was pushed out of the way before the bow could hit it.
Also, there is absolutely NO RUST anywhere on this boat and the exposed metal seems grey, not rust colored; I believe this is an aluminum boat, not a steel one.
New thoughts, anyone?
Old 10-07-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Also, there is absolutely NO RUST anywhere on this boat and the exposed metal seems grey, not rust colored; I believe this is an aluminum boat, not a steel one.
New thoughts, anyone?
Bare steel would start showing rust after just a day of exposure to air and seawater. This looks like an aluminum boat. Aluminum will flow (deform) under pressure much more than steel will.
Old 10-07-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Does anybody see that this damage is kind of odd? New thoughts, anyone?
I thought it was a little strange at first but then you brought up the unladen freighter and a bulb running at or near the surface, now it seems less odd, so maybe it did push and rolled it to port as opposed to rolling it down to starboard sucking it under the bow

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 10-08-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Does any know what happened to Gringo?

The reason that I ask is that I saw a boat with the name Gringo on the side in similar fashion in the Eastern Caribbean 2 - 3 years ago. My memory is not that great but it was a broadly similar boat.

Did he get it fixed?
Old 10-08-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Does any know what happened to Gringo?

The reason that I ask is that I saw a boat with the name Gringo on the side in similar fashion in the Eastern Caribbean 2 - 3 years ago. My memory is not that great but it was a broadly similar boat.

Did he get it fixed?
I did a web search but could find nothing about the incident pictured or in fact that vessel named Gringo. (plenty of other Gringos).
Does anybody know THAT boat?